Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I'd agree with this line of thinking. Keep the pairings of Matthews-Nylander, Tavares-Marner together and switch the odd man out for the situation.

What are people's worst case scenario when it comes to our forward lines? What would be the worst combos you can think of?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
19 minutes - Johnsson-Matthews-Marner (two-way, Shooter, Playmaker) Marner might be the best playmaker winger on the planet; Matthews is the best goal scoring center on the planet. I still think it makes a ton of sense to have them together. Give Marner two guys who can finish! Johnson is rewarded for his impressive season by playing with two world class playmakers. 24 points in 16 AHL playoff games. Reward him! Johnson can finish and all 3 will boost their point totals. Johnsson could end up with 70 points...
-
19 minutes - Nylander-Tavares-Brown (playmaker-two-way-two-way) Tavares signed here to win Stanley cups and play with great players. Nylander isn't Marner; but I think he compliments him beautifully. Tavares and Nylander in theory should work really well with each other. Tavares does it all; and I think we get the most out of him if he's driving his own line. Tavares and Nylander team up to scoring 75-80 points each and in theory; they should be matching up against second line match ups which is scary. Brown is the two-way winger who finishes scoring oppurtunies but can also retrieve pucks for his line.
-
17 minutes - Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
(two-way, shooter, playmaker) We forget that Kadri can dish it as well as he can shoot it. This is a very balanced line that has playmaking, scoring, mentorship for Kapanen and defensive awareness.
-

5 minutes - Ennis-Lindholm-Hyman (checker, two-way, playmaker) Hyman would actually be a great 4th liner. Lindholm and Ennis should be compotent NHL players with Grundstrom, Leivo knocking on the door.

Identifying who needs what...
-
The elite 5: (they can do it all)
-
Marner needs goal scoring wingers on his line so he can wrack up 60 + assists.
Matthews needs people who will get him the puck and get him scoring opportunities.
Tavares is a hybrid of Matthews/Marner; complete player...
Kadri can snipe all day and does great with playmaking wingers. He can also create for him self.
Nylander is a playmaking winger who can finish (Hoping for 25 goals)
-
The two way finishers:
-
Marleau, Brown, Johnsson - They are all two-way wingers who can essentially finish scoring chances (25 goals)
-
Finding him a role:
-
Kapanen - I haven't watched him enough but seems like a guy who can create and finish as well. I want to see him in a top 9 role; and he could get the last top 9 role unless Leivo or Ennis has a great camp.
-
The checker Babcock loves, who is really just a glorified 4th liner :
Hyman
-
The 4th lines, extras:
Leivo, Lindholm, Ennis
-
You could spread the talent among 4 lines or 3; but I know Matthews want ice time; and I think we can still have a competent 4th line if we stack 3. But you could literally spread the talent across 4 lines if you wanted too.
-
Nice line -up. Mostly like seeing Hyman in a checking role !Would like to see Grundstrom and Marchment eventually work their way into the line-up,get a look-see anyway.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

I'd agree with this line of thinking. Keep the pairings of Matthews-Nylander, Tavares-Marner together and switch the odd man out for the situation.

What are people's worst case scenario when it comes to our forward lines? What would be the worst combos you can think of?

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - Brown
Johnsson - Kadri - Nylander
Ennis - Goat - Kapanen

This would be my worst combo. Hyman going to do a lot of damage on the first line LW. Matthews doesn't really have someone who is good at getting him the puck... not enough skill on his wings. The Kadri line ends up being pretty good, but Nylander and Kadri I don't think are a good fit.

This is obviously not doing something crazy like putting Nylander or Marner on the 4th line... so this is the worst, somewhat realistic line combo for me.

Brown and Hyman should play in the bottom 6... if we do that, the lines will be good regardless.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Kadri - Nylander
Johnsson - Gauthier - Kapanen

That's about as far as I can stretch what's reasonable. Problematic due to that first line neutering Matthews, and Kadri and Nylander not having meshed well so far. I put them with Ennis as a placeholder for someone rather meh who win the spot in camp, therefor pushing the superior Johnsson to the fourth line. And then Gauthier there, as I think he'll be a drag on any fourth line we build.

Reactions: Liminality

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Kadri - Nylander
Johnsson - Gauthier - Kapanen

That's about as far as I can stretch what's reasonable. Problematic due to that first line neutering Matthews, and Kadri and Nylander not having meshed well so far. I put them with Ennis as a placeholder for someone rather meh who win the spot in camp, therefor pushing the superior Johnsson to the fourth line. And then Gauthier there, as I think he'll be a drag on any fourth line we build.
OY
I hate these lines

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

You asked....

Marleau Lindholm Nylander
Hyman. Matthews. Kapanen
Ennis Tavares. Brown
Johnsson. Kadri. Marner

Even then...Lindholm wins rookie of the year
Hyman scores 20 goals
Ennis wins the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy
Johnsson still gets 2nd place ROY votes.

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
You asked....

Hyman. Matthews. Kapanen
Ennis Tavares. Brown
Johnsson. Kadri. Marner
That's pretty interesting, what if Lindholm was Babcock's new go to guy to shutdown opposing top lines? :sarcasm:
I think it's pretty interesting to think of reasons why those lines won't work. The Johnsson, Kadri, Marner line seems like it would be the best out of those still.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
You asked....

Hyman. Matthews. Kapanen
Ennis Tavares. Brown
Johnsson. Kadri. Marner

Call me crazy but I actually want to see this completely balanced line approach in a game with even minutes for each line

The ultimate in killing a matchup coach......but chances are it's as awful as it looks.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Hyman shuold be playing much more than 5 minutes a night. He's a 14-16 minute guy.
not on this team ,likely not on any team in this league...look ,i don't hate the guy ,its just painfully obvious that he has so little talent with the puck,i wonder how he got in the league!

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
not on this team ,likely not on any team in this league...look ,i don't hate the guy ,its just painfully obvious that he has so little talent with the puck,i wonder how he got in the league!

You don't have to be good with the puck to be a good player... You think Holmstrom was every good at rushing the puck down the ice?

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Same way Ryan Smyth got in the league... and got on team canada for that matter. Find a niche that no one else can do better and you are a commodity

Reactions: WILDLIFEGUY

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Special Teams

PP1:
Nylander-Tavares-Matthews
Marner-Rielly

Unbelievable talent on that first PP unit, I would love to see these guys go to work. If someone on this unit is tired, Kadri can take their place for that shift.

PP2:
Marleau-Kadri-Johnsson/Kapanen/Brown
Zaitsev-Gardiner

I would give the RW spot to whichever of Johnsson, Kapanen, and Brown are having the best game on any given night. I might lean more towards Johnsson, though, because he has the best shot of the three.

Forward PKers:
Brown, Hyman, Kapanen (hopefully he can convert on some of the breakaways he'll get), Lindholm, Tavares

D PKers:
Rielly, Hainsey, Dermott, Zaitsev

Komarov & Polak both averaged over 2 minutes of PK time a game last season, so we will need some guys to fill that time. Tavares averaged 1:34 of PK time a game last season, and I expect he will kill penalties for us as well (not as much as guys like Hyman & Brown - we'll want to keep JT fresh).

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Special Teams

PP1:
Marner-Rielly

Unbelievable talent on that first PP unit, I would love to see these guys go to work. If someone on this unit is tired, Kadri can take their place for that shift.

PP2:
Zaitsev-Gardiner

I would give the RW spot to whichever of Johnsson, Kapanen, and Brown are having the best game on any given night. I might lean more towards Johnsson, though, because he has the best shot of the three.

Forward PKers:
Brown, Hyman, Kapanen (hopefully he can convert on some of the breakaways he'll get), Lindholm, Tavares

D PKers:

Komarov & Polak both averaged over 2 minutes of PK time a game last season, so we will need some guys to fill that time. Tavares averaged 1:34 of PK time a game last season, and I expect he will kill penalties for us as well (not as much as guys like Hyman & Brown - we'll want to keep JT fresh).

Kadri is legitimately the best player in the league or among the best in the middle of the umbrella on the PP, there is a 0% chance he’s demoted

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Same way Ryan Smyth got in the league... and got on team canada for that matter. Find a niche that no one else can do better and you are a commodity
If Hymans career ends up remotely close to Ryan Smith...i will ...insert crazy thing to eat! Seriously ,bad comparison ,Smith had that thing that Hyman does not have ...Talent!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Special Teams

PP1:
Marner-Rielly

PP2:
Zaitsev-Gardiner

Forward PKers:

D PKers:

Looks good! The Leafs have interesting options for power play groups. I suspect the strategy will change with Jvr gone,sure Marner still runs the show and it will likely include John or Austin ,but I doubt it will be both.
Babs doesn't like to load up for some reason! Whatever it is,it will be exciting!

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
If Hymans career ends up remotely close to Ryan Smith...i will ...insert crazy thing to eat! Seriously ,bad comparison ,Smith had that thing that Hyman does not have ...Talent!
Smyth had talent? If you mean deflecting shots like a champ then sure. But he had 4th line puck handling skills, playmaking and shooting was about ahl level. Put him with hemsky and he went straight to the net and deflected shots his entire career. He had amazing chemistry with anyone as long as they were the ones to skate the puck into the zone. Mathews and Nylander elite at carry the puck and hyman elite at geting it back to them = chemistry

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Smyth had talent? If you mean deflecting shots like a champ then sure. But he had 4th line puck handling skills, playmaking and shooting was about ahl level. Put him with hemsky and he went straight to the net and deflected shots his entire career. He had amazing chemistry with anyone as long as they were the ones to skate the puck into the zone. Mathews and Nylander elite at carry the puck and hyman elite at geting it back to them = chemistry
Didn't like Smith? Maybe check out his career. Let me know when Hyman earns the 'Captain Canada' label. Honestly,terrible comparison!

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Didn't like Smith? Maybe check out his career. Let me know when Hyman earns the 'Captain Canada' label. Honestly,terrible comparison!
I f***ing loved smyth he was a beauty. He was name Captain Canada because he went into the place no other player wanted to go and stand in front of slapshots in order to help his team win. No one else could do it better and i know all about his career bud. We have a guy that instead of the front of the net, goes to the corners mucking it up and does it better than anyone... Sound familiar?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babcock's best talent as a coach is to have his players execute an extremely tight defensive system. It's effective no doubt, but I don't think it's the right style for how our team is built. I pray that Babcock changes his approach going into the season and decides to take some shackles off.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I ****ing loved smyth he was a beauty. He was name Captain Canada because he went into the place no other player wanted to go and stand in front of slapshots in order to help his team win. No one else could do it better and i know all about his career bud. We have a guy that instead of the front of the net, goes to the corners mucking it up and does it better than anyone... Sound familiar?
Seen too many plays die on Hymans stick. Mathews and Willy dont need him and it became obvious that they would ignore Hyman. Got tired of anticipating another blind pass or shot from him. As far as getting there,sure,he gets there.But the results could be so much better with a player who knew what to do with the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->