Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
And speaking of Chemistry... I wonder if going with Gardiner - Rielly as a top pair would be a good idea?

I recall that this was tried very early on when Rielly wasn't nearly as good as he is today... and they made some nifty plays. Could be a very offensive top pairing. We will still have Dermott and Zaitsev who are also pretty offensive as well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And speaking of Chemistry... I wonder if going with Gardiner - Rielly as a top pair would be a good idea?

I recall that this was tried very early on when Rielly wasn't nearly as good as he is today... and they made some nifty plays. Could be a very offensive top pairing. We will still have Dermott and Zaitsev who are also pretty offensive as well.

They need to upgrade their defense. Maybe they need a defense as good as VGK.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I'm not sure of a Gardiner-Rielly pairing for a few reasons. There might be a dip offensively if one has to take on more of a defensive role for the pairing, or the pairing might struggle defensively overall, possibly cancelling out their offense. Would depend on the other pairings as well and what they are capable of offensively and/or defensively.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yeah I don't get how when asked about those two on the same line, Babcock said "I want to win"
Basically dismissing it

Seems Babcock views Matthews and Marner as catalysts for their respective lines. It'd help that one line, but what does it do to the others? Like the D pairings, the forward lines will depend on the personnel. For now, I could see Matthews-Marner happening more on the PP compared to ES. Over time, who knows? Didn't seem likely to me that Kadri would be centring Marner until that occurred.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I'm not sure of a Gardiner-Rielly pairing for a few reasons. There might be a dip offensively if one has to take on more of a defensive role for the pairing, or the pairing might struggle defensively overall, possibly cancelling out their offense. Would depend on the other pairings as well and what they are capable of offensively and/or defensively.
I am completely on board with the Gardiner-Rielly top pair.

To argue you saying they are both too offensive... This is Gardiners last contract year and Liljegren and Dermott are coming as offensive d men...If Gardiner cant be solid defensively we cant hang onto him past this year.

They are both mature enough as players to be responsible defensively. Our breakout with those two logging 25 mins per night and Dermott carrying the second pair should be solid.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
When they have played together previously, they have been pretty dominant.

However, I'm a bit skeptical because I think that includes a lot of late game pushes, where we'll naturally dominate puck possession.

Reactions: Buds17

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Yeah I don't get how when asked about those two on the same line, Babcock said "I want to win"
Basically dismissing it

Yea I bet it was the first time he had ever thought of such a combination and should have put more thought into it during the interview.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I’ll make the lines as I believe they should be, forgetting Babs tendency to stick Hyman with Matthews and a few other changes.

Also taking into consideration we may sign a FA or 2. If I’m GM Gardiner is gone so I don’t have him in my lineup, traded for a draft pick or prospect, and his money used to sign Carlson.

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen
Leivo - Altonen - UFA

Reilly - Carlson
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Ozzy
Carrick

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I am completely on board with the Gardiner-Rielly top pair.

To argue you saying they are both too offensive... This is Gardiners last contract year and Liljegren and Dermott are coming as offensive d men...If Gardiner cant be solid defensively we cant hang onto him past this year.

They are both mature enough as players to be responsible defensively. Our breakout with those two logging 25 mins per night and Dermott carrying the second pair should be solid.

Fair points. I just think the team is currently better off with them on separate pairings because it best allows their offence to be spread around, and pairing them with others that take on more of a defensive role better provides them with the opportunity to flourish as they are our best in that regard. I'm not certain they (both) do what they did this season offensively if paired together. I could be wrong about that.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If no Free Agents are brought in on Forward:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Aaltonen - Lindholm - Moore

Too hard to predict the D

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If no Free Agents are brought in on Forward:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Aaltonen - Lindholm - Moore

Too hard to predict the D
I can't see Willy moving to center and Altonen coming up together.
Three options...blockbuster UFA free agent signng, Bozak resigned or value trade for someone like Jared McCann who is underperforming expectations.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I can't see Willy moving to center and Altonen coming up together.
Three options...blockbuster UFA free agent signng, Bozak resigned or value trade for someone like Jared McCann who is underperforming expectations.
I could see Dubas aquireing McCann for cheap. I can also see McCann doing well here.
Count me in for that move

Reactions: Menzinger

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I could see Dubas aquireing McCann for cheap. I can also see McCann doing well here.
Count me in for that move
Dubas loved McCann in juniors. It's interesting to see how his comments about him then kind of fits now too. He has skill enough to be better than he has been, but he has a tendency to focus overly much on defense when he takes a step up.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Dubas loved McCann in juniors. It's interesting to see how his comments about him then kind of fits now too. He has skill enough to be better than he has been, but he has a tendency to focus overly much on defense when he takes a step up.
Babcock would have to reverse Babcock McCann haha
It's actually for his defensive mind that I think he would fit well here and Babcock seems to be able to show players how to use their defense to create offense. Add in the comfort with Dubas and I think McCann would thrive here.
I've also liked the player since junior so my bias is probably showing

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Not a bad thing when facing Bergeron, Marchand and Pasta line. I just felt that Willy and Altonen together would leave leafs a bit soft up the middle.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Babcock would have to reverse Babcock McCann haha
It's actually for his defensive mind that I think he would fit well here and Babcock seems to be able to show players how to use their defense to create offense. Add in the comfort with Dubas and I think McCann would thrive here.
I've also liked the player since junior so my bias is probably showing
Would Leivo do the trick as a trade?

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Leafs will not trade Leivo as he is their only real opportunity to replace JVR lost goals. Leivo is better even strength and will be weaker on pp. Overall a slight impovement.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Leafs will not trade Leivo as he is their only real opportunity to replace JVR lost goals. Leivo is better even strength and will be weaker on pp. Overall a slight impovement.
You're not saying that Leivo will replace all of JVR's 36 goals right?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I was under the impression that Babcock won't play him.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Leivo really has shown nothing to be considered an even trade for JVR’s role on this team, not in any level of hockey in his young career has he shown that kind of scoring touch

Reactions: saltming

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Leivo really has shown nothing to be considered an even trade for JVR’s role on this team, not in any level of hockey in his young career has he shown that kind of scoring touch

No one thinks that Leivo will score 36 goals next year if he's our 3rd line left winger. But you know what? He doesn't have to. All he needs to do is be who he is, probably a 20/20 player. Why? Without Brown having to play nursemaid to the JVR/Bozak combo, your looking at his offensive numbers coming up. Brown's shot percentage was the same as Marner's, but being stuck on the 4th line and having to take care of J&B's indifference to defence his overall offensive numbers declined. Look to have him bounce back up by being a part of a line and not sacrificing for the wonder twins. As for center, well, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a guy who can manage what Bozak did last year (11/32). Even Aaltonen or Lindholm or hell, Brandon Pirri, could probably do that in a sheltered role like Bozak had been gifted with. And even if Dubas breaks down and resigns him, Bozak won't be compelled to fire low-percentage shots at the net in the hopes that JvR tips one in anymore will he? His shooting percentage plummeted this year from 12% the last 2 years down to a near team worst 7%, even as JvR's climbed. I wonder why?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad