Post-Game Talk: Leafs kind of try, and lose 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I am in the same boat. I used to sometimes skip studying or the gym and do them later at night to watch the Leafs. This season I genuinely don't care. It's a boring product on ice with no precedence for change. A waste of time for real fans to watch and to expect anything to change is asking for way too much. There's multiple problems with this team, but I believe it stems from Babcock primarily and it has trickled down; the contracts (them not liking Babcock's system), the bad defensive structure/dump in system (does not cater at all to the best player's strengths) and the utter lack of consistency (Hey, Matthews, Nylander, you're playing well, so let me play a guy who just came off ACL surgery in his second game back, more than both of you despite you guys carrying our offence).
It's more than a lack of consistency; it's a lack of accountability, and you can see it in the way the players play. Some play terrified that they'll make a mistake, and others play like it doesn't matter what they do, they're going to play...

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
It's more than a lack of consistency; it's a lack of accountability, and you can see it in the way the players play. Some play terrified that they'll make a mistake, and others play like it doesn't matter what they do, they're going to play...

Accountability was the word I was looking for. There are different rules for different players in Babcock's book and that most definitely will have an effect on how the players view him.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
After the 4th goal I did something I've not done all year, i changed the channel without even a thought to switch it back to check on the score.

This team shows no heart, no grit, sporadic bursts of effort that last for a period. I want Babs fired but whereas in the past I thought his firing would turn the team around, now I think it's something else.

Something is rotten with this core and I can't quite figure out what it is. Maybe this is just what you get when you have players who care more about money than they do about winning

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Take comfort, listen to Chris (losses dont count) Johnson. The poor homer just cant bring himself to say anything even slightly negative about his leafs. If ya didnt know how tonights game went.....after listening to him talk with Stellick you would be asking .....how many goals did they trounce the islanders by? Every leaf was great, corsi numbers are probably great tonight, all going according to plan......leafs still stanley cup favorites. :pcheer:

Almost hate to tell the poor guy they lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erdinger

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yeah but . . . if Shanahan lets Dubas do his thing again and that does not work, Shanahan and Dubas will be fired together at the same time.

I think Dubas has done a far worst job than anyone in recent memory. If Shanahan fires him, then he can blame everything on Dubas and analytics while preserving himself.

If they fire the coach, then Shanahan is banking on Dubas turning things around. I do not think Shanahan is willing to do that.

In the end, do we really think Shanahan trust Dubas to make the right hockey moves? Nothing has really panned out so far with the roster.

Here's the key question. Is anyone really surprised at the performance of the team so far with the deletions and additions?

Seems to me they are where they should be.
I've long stated... LONG stated... that Dubas will not only be fired for those contracts, but his entire gm career will be ruined because of them.

Oh, how I was mocked, trolled, and disparaged.

I 100% believe that, due to the unprecedented dramatic overpayments, the leafs won't be very competitive for the next few years, Dubas will be fired, and the entire narrative surrounding him will change over night.
Throw More Waffles, June, 2019

And that's before the WORST of the unprecedented dramatic overpayments (Marners).

I was told that I was just being negative for negativities sake... but I knew 100% that I was one of the few that was willing to call a spade a spade. The kool-aid looked delicious, and I wanted a sip... but I knew better.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I am in the same boat. I used to sometimes skip studying or the gym and do them later at night to watch the Leafs. This season I genuinely don't care. It's a boring product on ice with no precedence for change. A waste of time for real fans to watch and to expect anything to change is asking for way too much. There's multiple problems with this team, but I believe it stems from Babcock primarily and it has trickled down; the contracts (them not liking Babcock's system), the bad defensive structure/dump in system (does not cater at all to the best player's strengths) and the utter lack of consistency (Hey, Matthews, Nylander, you're playing well, so let me play a guy who just came off ACL surgery in his second game back, more than both of you despite you guys carrying our offence).
Hyman played 13:27. Mathhews: 14:07 and Nylander:15:10

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Great Analysis of why hockey smarts and planning matters a lot more than dumbass analytics like that stupid Corsi

This is what said in the first GDT this afternoon when a poster was attempting to deke us out by insinuating their goalies were fluky and thats the only reason they win. Those bloody spreadsheets can get ya.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
babs post game "we think we can be better" god, im tired of hearing that.

I am a huge Denver Broncos fan, and all I hear when he says that is "we had a good week of practice". f*** off. Your system is shit, and the players you have do NOT fit the mold for what you are tying to do.
If Mike only thinks they can be better, then I'd say thank him for his service and send him on his way. There are so many things wrong with how this team is playing so far this season, I don't know if its possible to fix it all in time for the season to matter.
Imagine, this team looks like they could easily miss the playoffs... amazing. How do you f*** that up?

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I am a huge Denver Broncos fan, and all I hear when he says that is "we had a good week of practice". **** off. Your system is ****, and the players you have do NOT fit the mold for what you are tying to do.
If Mike only thinks they can be better, then I'd say thank him for his service and send him on his way. There are so many things wrong with how this team is playing so far this season, I don't know if its possible to fix it all in time for the season to matter.
Imagine, this team looks like they could easily miss the playoffs... amazing. How do you **** that up?
Im a huge Vikings Fan see you on sunday! lol

Reactions: wingman75

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Hyman was the least of our problems. This coming from a guy who ripped him until I finally came around last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad