Friedman: Leafs interested in best dman they can get, thinks Hampus Lindholm is the best fit

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
He said “the best D man they could get”…that’s not Chiarot
Go watch habs leafs game 6 OT and watch chiarot dominate. Right before the GWG he deleted mikheyev along the boards who was carrying the puck. 10 seconds later… goal.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Go watch habs leafs game 6 OT and watch chiarot dominate. Right before the GWG he deleted mikheyev along the boards who was carrying the puck. 10 seconds later… goal.
Good for him. Let’s put it this way, 1 Habs fan in this thread said Chiarot would cost a 1st+, well…I think I would rather add a couple more pluses and shoot for Lindholm.

Reactions: Lahey

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If the Ducks are not able to agree with Hampus on the extension, then Hampus will be as good addition to any team as you can get.
However, I'm sceptical about Hampus to Leafs.

The Ducks, most likely, were not able to get a deal only if it's too pricey for them long-term (there might be some term related issues where Ducks would like to go shorter instead of longer). As far as my knowledge, Leafs would be even in a worse spot than us to sign (unless they're ready to pay big price and sacrifice the end-part of his massive upcoming contract). And I'm not sure Leafs will pay the bank for a rental.

Just my 2 cents, I'm not an insider, but I think IF we trade Hampus, it will be a team who will be ready to pay up for Hampus's next contract. It will be a big contract either in Anaheim or elsewhere.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Ducks are not able to agree with Hampus on the extension, then Hampus will be as good addition to any team as you can get.
However, I'm sceptical about Hampus to Leafs.

The Ducks, most likely, were not able to get a deal only if it's too pricey for them long-term (there might be some term related issues where Ducks would like to go shorter instead of longer). As far as my knowledge, Leafs would be even in a worse spot than us to sign (unless they're ready to pay big price and sacrifice the end-part of his massive upcoming contract). And I'm not sure Leafs will pay the bank for a rental.

Just my 2 cents, I'm not an insider, but I think IF we trade Hampus, it will be a team who will be ready to pay up for Hampus's next contract. It will be a big contract either in Anaheim or elsewhere.

If the Leafs take on a player who has term or they plan on extending and it's more than $4M, they got big problems with their cap next year. It would extend beyond their ability to move out Kerfoot and Mrazek. Unless they have plans to have two goalies at $1M each? Numbers don't lie. It would go deeper and might affect one of Muzzin or Nylander as well.

In any move Dubas makes at this deadline, it has to be for this season only and then he regroups for next year. I also suspect he is willing to trade his 1st and other pieces to get help now and also move Mrazek at the same time. Two birds (help now and cap space next year) with one stone (Futures) kind of thing

Dubas is in a tough spot. Those Ritchie and Mrazek signings hurt him badly. He's going to get out of it but it's going to cost more futures again.... on top of the futures he wants to use to get improvements at this deadline.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Lindholm is literally our most physical D-man. He is strong as f***.... and you're post makes it seem like you never seen him play. It literally makes no sense.

Hampus Lindholm on a better offensive team would be a Slavin clone but more physical. Not having to play with a 19 year old defensemen would also help his game. He is the definition of a 1 on 1 elite shutdown defensemen, that goes for transition and board play.

lol, really???

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good for him. Let’s put it this way, 1 Habs fan in this thread said Chiarot would cost a 1st+, well…I think I would rather add a couple more pluses and shoot for Lindholm.

What do you think your chances of extending Lindholm are?

Also, how do the Ducks feel about taking on Mrazek in a deal for Lindholm? Stolarz going the other way? Not saying this is a good or bad move but I bet you Dubas is going to try that.

* 1st
* Other futures and possibly one of Dermott or Sandin
* Mrazek (cap dump)
for
* Lindholm
* Stolarz

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
I f***ing called it, I knew Hampus would be a target for these guys. Perfect fit, doubt we will get him.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Lindholm would be the best d we could get and he would be a tremendous add. With that being said the leafs goaltending is terrible and continues to get worse. If dubas sticks with this tandem it won't matter who they add at forward or defense.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
What do you think your chances of extending Lindholm are?

Also, how do the Ducks feel about taking on Mrazek in a deal for Lindholm? Stolarz going the other way? Not saying this is a good or bad move but I bet you Dubas is going to try that.

* 1st
* Other futures and possibly one of Dermott or Sandin
* Mrazek (cap dump)
for
* Lindholm
* Stolarz
Leafs don’t need to add Mrazek in a deal for Lindholm.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Right now on Leafs 1st intermission
considering Dubas has stated he will not go for any expensive 'rental' players, i dont know how Lindholm could even be in consideration, as there is no way we can afford to resign him, unless Muzzin retires, and he signs 'cheap' which also will not happen.
Best defender that may be available is true, and sure, every team should be interested, but, i doubt any attempt will be made to get him given the high expected cost, and the fact that he'd be a pure rental.
...unless they play on trading Muzzin, and Brodie as well, because thats how much salary it will take to resign Lindholm

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

For this season, you are correct but if you are a savvy GM trading valuable futures for the playoffs, why not try to hit two birds with one stone? I'm pretty sure this is Dubas's approach but can he pull it off? We will see.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
considering Dubas has stated he will not go for any expensive 'rental' players, i dont know how Lindholm could even be in consideration, as there is no way we can afford to resign him, unless Muzzin retires, and he signs 'cheap' which also will not happen.
Best defender that may be available is true, and sure, every team should be interested, but, i doubt any attempt will be made to get him given the high expected cost, and the fact that he'd be a pure rental.
...unless they play on trading Muzzin, and Brodie as well, because thats how much salary it will take to resign Lindholm
Dubas said that before the idea of Lindholm being available was a thing…

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
For this season, you are correct but if you are a savvy GM trading valuable futures for the playoffs, why not try to hit two birds with one stone? I'm pretty sure this is Dubas's approach but can he pull it off? We will see.
If Dubas is targeting Lindholm, he won’t add anything to the deal that would cause the price to acquire to go up….

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
No, they need to add much more...
Sandin, a 1st, and a good prospect... i could also see them toss in Mikheyev/Engvall (they are different versions of the same player) then add salary to compensate, so, that means one of or both Mrazek/Kerfoot need to be in any package to get the salary close too
Unless the Leafs know Muzzin is going to retire, they have no chance to resign him either, so, that would be one crazy expensive rental. ...but, that's how much he'd be worth, if i'm not understating it also.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
So , J. Chychrun? Don't see how the Leaf's are going to acquire him.
Well if you need a defenseman try trading a high priced loser forward because they are not working out........I am not calling them personally losers , strictly hockey.....

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
To Ana

Marner

To Leafs

Lindholm (extended 7yrs 55M)
Jacob Perreault
Olen Zellweger

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
He’d be a great at. Sucks what’s going on with Amirov because he’d be a key chip in this deal. The leafs would probably need to part with Niemela and their 1st for this. The bidding war will be big.

Holl, Niemela and 1st is my offer. Not sure if that offer gets out bid or not but I don’t remember the last deadline additions that has gotten that return

Lindholm-Brodie
Rielly-Muzzin
Sandin-Lybushkin
Dermott-Lilijgren

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: