Friedman: Leafs interested in best dman they can get, thinks Hampus Lindholm is the best fit

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ya just what we need another all offence no defense dman to stand around while there captain gets thrown around like a rag doll!
Lindholm is literally our most physical D-man. He is strong as f***.... and you're post makes it seem like you never seen him play. It literally makes no sense.

Hampus Lindholm on a better offensive team would be a Slavin clone but more physical. Not having to play with a 19 year old defensemen would also help his game. He is the definition of a 1 on 1 elite shutdown defensemen, that goes for transition and board play.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
If the best you can get is Chiarot….then might as well stay the course.
Chiarot would make your team way less soft in the POs. But it's good that you don't want him. Dubas might think differently but I hope not. I'll get to watch another contender that is not an arch rival benefit from his services.

Reactions: egelband

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Chiarot would make your team way less soft in the POs. But it's good that you don't want him. Dubas might think differently but I hope not. I'll get to watch another contender that is not an arch rival benefit from his services.
I have no issue with Chiarot…as long as the price isn’t a 1st.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
The price is a 1st or equivalent prospect and somebody will pay it.
And that’s fair, just don’t want it to be Dubas. Chiarot isn’t the missing piece here, so either go big game hunting with the 1st++, or keep the 1st.
As you said, Leafs are probably getting bounced 1st round, no sense wasting a 1st on a rental.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lindholm would be the best Dman available.

He has the benefit of being a rental. You can test him out to see how he gels

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
And that’s fair, just don’t want it to be Dubas. Chiarot isn’t the missing piece here, so either go big game hunting with the 1st++, or keep the 1st.
As you said, Leafs are probably getting bounced 1st round, no sense wasting a 1st on a rental.
Never said the Leafs are getting bounced in the 1st round. As for your point, that's also fair enough.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Not being facetious but is Chiarot really likely to get a 1st? I am questioning if Giordano at 50% gets the Kraken a first so not sure if Chiarot can really get a 1st.
I don't know how likely it is but it's been rumored for an extended period of time that that is the asking price and Hughes will hold out until someone meets it. It's why I am inclined to believe that Chiarot at 50% is very likely to fetch a 1st or equivalent prospect.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It's going to be really interesting with the D-man market. Seems there are rather a lot of good options out there, depending of course on which of the bubble teams (like Anaheim for instance, and/or Dallas) elect to be sellers.

On NHL.com today there is an article about Caps not likely being all-in, which MacLellan explains by them no longer looking like they're close enough to the upper tier to merit such a push. Some of the same sentiments have been coming from the Pens, with management saying that we cannot trade away 1st rounders perpetually and there also has to be a day after our current core. You get some of the same from Boston I think.

So, Tampa, Toronto, Florida and Canes in the East. Sure. Rangers.... not unlikely as long as the target is an UFA, but they need a C much more. Colorado for sure are all-in, in the West, but probably have less of a focus on D than most others. Calgary maybe, but D is looking good, and they already blew most of its powder on Toffoli. St.Louis and Edmonton.... maybe. Suppose they need to show management that it makes sense.

Eventually there could be some bargains available I think, with selling teams seeing the number of buyers shrink one by one driving prices down.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't know how likely it is but it's been rumored for an extended period of time that that is the asking price and Hughes will hold out until someone meets it. It's why I am inclined to believe that Chiarot at 50% is very likely to fetch a 1st or equivalent prospect.
Fair enough. From a Kraken POV I hope that happens because it will help maximize Gio's value too .. :)

Reactions: Gravity

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Chiarot is about as good as Jack Johnson statistically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad