TSN: Leafs in on Vatanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
can't imagine Win now Ducks wanting to unload Vatanen.

I do think he's the guy that gets moved, but I think they'll be aiming for a guy worth using a forward protection slot on. I think they want to go 7-3-1 but I'm not familiar enough with their contract status to know if they have 7 forwards worth protecting right now.

Getz, Perry, Kesler, Silfverberg, Rakell, Cogliano...? One spot open I think. Move a D-man for a forward and they're good.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
It absolutely does as a base. Kapanen is an expansion exempt, blue chip prospect. PPG in the AHL, elite offensive tools, proven PK'er at the NHL level (playoffs, pre-season and regular season), and only 20 years old. Vatanen is a 2nd pair D, undersized, and undergoing 6 months of recovery for shoulder surgery with a 5mill contract on a team that is in an expansion draft bind.

I can't argue for or against him being good on the PK but the word ''proven'' should not apply to a player with 17 games in the regular season and 6 in the playoffs, there are still too many unknowns.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
do the ducks need that 7th poretection spot or can they use it on someone in a trade?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'd consider Vats if Duck fans are still asking for Kapanen. If they suddenly think he's worth a lot more then no dice.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Lmao leafs overrate the **** out of their young players. Kapanen is untouchable now? Vatanen is a .5 ppg defensemen in the regular season and playoffs.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I hope Lou wouldn't be willing to deal Kapanen for Vatanen. Kap is a hell of a prospect. We have so many other players to offer, Kap should be seen as part of the core.

Vatanen would be seen as part of the core.

JVR isn't exempt, so unless the Ducks just want to move Vats cap hit for nothing that trade makes no sense.

Anaheim would be going 7-3-1, with only 6 forwards to protect at the moment. JVR would be the 7th.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is this true for Draisaitl as well?

I wouldn't trade Draisaitl for Rakell and Vatanen, no, but I also think the Ducks would be nuts to offer it.

That and I think Draisaitl is a notch above Nylander, at least in fit and value to our team. He's exactly what we needed. Best thing Craig MacTavish ever did as our GM was draft Drai.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Lmao leafs overrate the **** out of their young players. Kapanen is untouchable now? Vatanen is a .5 ppg defensemen in the regular season and playoffs.
Right, just like how Marner, Matthews and Nylander were overrated at the beginning of the year :shakehead

Vatanen was not a .5 PPG defensemen this year, and is undergoing shoulder surgery with a half year recovery. Kap is not untouchable, just not available for what you're willing to offer. Would be fine packaging him for Hamonic or Dumba.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017

Exactly...Hopefully,this works out so we don't have to hear anymore Tanev proposals..I wonder what the price tag on Vatanen will be?..:popcorn:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
People are sleeping on Vatanen.

He's a top 4 dman on probably every single NHL team minus Nashville/Blues and maybe a few others.

He's a legit top 4 guy.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
Misleading thread.

Lebrun stated teams are lining up for him. so attempts to pillage the ducks are unlikely to work

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
The absolute most id offer from a leafs perspective would be JVR and 2 2nds. id probably be down to part with kapanen in a different deal, but would hesitate trading further futures for him

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Kasperi is absolutely available for the right defenseman (not that I think just KK gets it done for vatenen).. Leafs fans have a habit of over hyping every prospect we have.. Lou has stated that hes not going to trade someone for one need because its just going to create another need in our roster. So what does that leave? Us trading picks/prospects for a need.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Right, just like how Marner, Matthews and Nylander were overrated at the beginning of the year :shakehead

Vatanen was not a .5 PPG defensemen this year, and is undergoing shoulder surgery with a half year recovery. Kap is not untouchable, just not available for what you're willing to offer. Would be fine packaging him for Hamonic or Dumba.

No one thought any of those three were overrated before their 1st seasons even started. And Kapanen is no where near those three, if he was he would have been in the NHL last season.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Babcock loves fast defensemen. Vatanen is fast.
Babcock wants defensemen who are good on the PK. Vatanen is good on the PK.

Yes, he isn't 6'3 but he checks the boxes.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
It absolutely does as a base. Kapanen is an expansion exempt, blue chip prospect. PPG in the AHL, elite offensive tools, proven PK'er at the NHL level (playoffs, pre-season and regular season), and only 20 years old. Vatanen is a 2nd pair D, undersized, and undergoing 6 months of recovery for shoulder surgery with a 5mill contract on a team that is in an expansion draft bind.

He has played 23 NHL games he hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet.

People keep bringing up the Hall for Larsson deal like it matters, it was a 1 off deal by a desprate team that they got VERY lucky on because it happened to work out

There was also a Johansen for Jones deal. Lets not act like the Hall for Larsson trade is the only one showing how much value good young defenseman have.

can't imagine Win now Ducks wanting to unload Vatanen.

We need to trade someone because of expansion draft. If we don't think Fowler will re-sign with he should be traded otherwise it is Vatanen to be traded.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I wouldn't trade Draisaitl for Rakell and Vatanen, no, but I also think the Ducks would be nuts to offer it.

That and I think Draisaitl is a notch above Nylander, at least in fit and value to our team. He's exactly what we needed. Best thing Craig MacTavish ever did as our GM was draft Drai.

I'd almost want to make that trade because of how deadly Drai is against us. It's almost stupid how well he does against us.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
No one thought any of those three were overrated before their 1st seasons even started. And Kapanen is no where near those three, if he was he would have been in the NHL last season.
Are you new? Nylander and Marner especially have been called overrated by HF since their D+1 seasons.

And as for the previous comment, no one is calling him a Selke caliber player. 20ish games is absolutely enough in my mind to see if a player is capable. He's a proven PKer based on his speed alone.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Are you new? Nylander and Marner especially have been called overrated by HF since their D+1 seasons.

And as for the previous comment, no one is calling him a Selke caliber player. 20ish games is absolutely enough in my mind to see if a player is capable. He's a proven PKer based on his speed alone.

20 games is such a small sample size. Players can good during a short period of time but how will a player handle a grueling 82 NHL game schedule? 20 games being enough to know how capable someone is :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad