TSN: Leafs in on Vatanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
TSN Insider trading reported today that the Leafs are targetting Ducks D man Sami Vatenan there was no mention as to what the price would be but I suspect Kasperi Kapenan will be in any deal.

People say JVR but if you remove him our LW is very weak I personally thnk they need to add depth there not trade their best guy at that position.

by I Digress what do you think he would cost the Leafs?

Last edited by a moderator:

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Not the kind of defenceman the Leafs need, I would rather trade JVR because he won't be signing another sweetheart deal and we have to pay the big 3 sooner rather than later. Kapanen could become just as good as JVR and provides more speed and D.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Kapanen +2nd for vatanen?

Doesn't so much for the ducks since they are contending but imo Kapanen can jump into the lineup next season (where ever he plays) and produce as a 3rd liner at least

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I can't imagine for a second a deal around Kapanen gets you Vatanen.
It absolutely does as a base. Kapanen is an expansion exempt, blue chip prospect. PPG in the AHL, elite offensive tools, proven PK'er at the NHL level (playoffs, pre-season and regular season), and only 20 years old. Vatanen is a 2nd pair D, undersized, and undergoing 6 months of recovery for shoulder surgery with a 5mill contract on a team that is in an expansion draft bind.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I would love Vats. Kapanen is good value for him, despite what Ducks fans say. Top 6 winger who PKs on the top unit is quite valuable.

HockeyShack

Feb 18, 2005
TSN Insider trading reported today that the Leafs are targetting Ducks D man Sami Vatenan there was no mention as to what the price would be but I suspect Kasperi Kapenan will be in any deal.

People say JVR but if you remove him our LW is very weak I personally thnk they need to add depth there not trade their best guy at that position.

by I Digress what do you think he would cost the Leafs?

JVR isn't exempt, so unless the Ducks just want to move Vats cap hit for nothing that trade makes no sense.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
It absolutely does as a base. Kapanen is an expansion exempt, blue chip prospect. PPG in the AHL, elite offensive tools, proven PK'er at the NHL level (playoffs, pre-season and regular season), and only 20 years old. Vatanen is a 2nd pair D, undersized, and undergoing 6 months of recovery for shoulder surgery with a 5mill contract on a team that is in an expansion draft bind.

Which is exactly why he is going nowhere unless as part of a package for a #1/1B dman which nobody is trading away anyways.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

For most teams that would be a huge plus, but for us I don't really think it should be. We have 6 quality forwards we need to protect, we can easily take a non-exempt forward and be just fine.

Also, Kapanen and his 23 total NHL games (regular season and playoffs) has not "proven" anything. He has 3 points in total in all those games. AHL success does not always translate to NHL success.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Really I think a deal around Vats for Kapanen + would be pretty good for the Ducks. Don't know if the Leafs should be going after a guy like Vats or a more defensive defenseman that ones up to how the Toronto brass feels.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
For most teams that would be a huge plus, but for us I don't really think it should be. We have 6 quality forwards we need to protect, we can easily take a non-exempt forward and be just fine.

Also, Kapanen and his 23 total NHL games (regular season and playoffs) has not "proven" anything. He has 3 points in total in all those games. AHL success does not always translate to NHL success.

But he would be a good starting piece with an add to even things out. Hey at least it's not an offer of JVR for the one millionth time.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Vantanen would be huge upgrade from Hunwick and Carrick.

It's going to take Kapanen and then some to get him. There are teams will be offering more and rightfully so. A proven D. Kapy on the other the other hand hasn't proven anything. He showed glimpses in limited roles

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

leaf fans may not like it--but Vatenan is a guy who can play big minutes and all around the ice---Kapanen has not show that much--not saying he wont be good--but Vatenan can play 20 to 25 minutes a nigh safely in the NHL--for the oilers to get guy like that it cost Hall(Larsson is more physical)

If the asking price is just Kapanen--28 other clubs will jump in on the bidding

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
leaf fans may not like it--but Vatenan is a guy who can play big minutes and all around the ice---Kapanen has not show that much--not saying he wont be good--but Vatenan can play 20 to 25 minutes a nigh safely in the NHL--for the oilers to get guy like that it cost Hall(Larsson is more physical)

If the asking price is just Kapanen--28 other clubs will jump in on the bidding

People keep bringing up the Hall for Larsson deal like it matters, it was a 1 off deal by a desprate team that they got VERY lucky on because it happened to work out

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Kapanen +2nd for vatanen?

Doesn't so much for the ducks since they are contending but imo Kapanen can jump into the lineup next season (where ever he plays) and produce as a 3rd liner at least

Erm... how do you 'know' this, exactly? He has one goal in 17 career NHL games.

He PROBABLY can slot in, but is he really a lock to be better than a guy like Kase in Anaheim?

Anton Lander put up otherworldly numbers in the AHL for years but he couldn't translate his game to the NHL level.

Kapanen is a good prospect that has a lot yet to prove. I'd suspect the Ducks will get signficiantly better offers than Kapanen and a mediocre pick.

Last edited:

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
There are other D I would go after 1st. Tanev, Brodin, Hamonic even Myers would fit better than Vats.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Kap is our best prospect. If we are packaging him Id hope for a D man that fits us a little better. ie stronger young defense-first RHD

Vats is a great player but with the injury and the bidding war......Id say we are out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad