TSN: Leafs in on Vatanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't think the Leafs want Vatanen. This is smoke from Anaheim trying to create a bigger market for a player they pretty much HAVE TO TRADE.

Actually, this all started because the coach and GM of the Leafs were watching the Ducks/Preds play multiple games. Vatanen was the logical choice they were watching but I suppose it could have been someone else.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Actually, this all started because the coach and GM of the Leafs were watching the Ducks/Preds play multiple games. Vatanen was the logical choice they were watching but I suppose it could have been someone else.

Doubt it

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

For Nashville they could have been watching Ellis, if they decide to go with 7-3-1, and Neal and Jarnkrok if the decided to go 8-1.
If Theodore is the sweetener Anaheim is giving up to LV to protect Manson/Vatanen the Leafs could be interested in having them flip him to Toronto.
All is just speculation right now.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
For Nashville they could have been watching Ellis, if they decide to go with 7-3-1, and Neal and Jarnkrok if the decided to go 8-1.
If Theodore is the sweetener Anaheim is giving up to LV to protect Manson/Vatanen the Leafs could be interested in having them flip him to Toronto.
All is just speculation right now.

Neal is being left unprotected. Nashville is for sure going the 8 skater option.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

You doubt what? That they were there? Or there to watch Vatanen?

And thinking about it further I now think it was the Duck/Oiler series they were watching.

Anyway, my point was that the Ducks did not start this rumor to "create a larger market" for Vatanen. That was a ridiculous statement.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

And thinking about it further I now think it was the Duck/Oiler series they were watching.

Anyway, my point was that the Ducks did not start this rumor to "create a larger market" for Vatanen. That was a ridiculous statement.

It was Nashville, and maybe they thought Ellis might come available but that's doubtful, I think everyone knew they were gonna keep that group together.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Neal is being left unprotected. Nashville is for sure going the 8 skater option.

If Neal, who has 9 straight 20+ goal seasons, is going to be left available you have to believe he would be traded before the ED.
His value is too high, even though only signed for one year, to just let LV take.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If Neal, who has 9 straight 20+ goal seasons, is going to be left available you have to believe he would be traded before the ED.
His value is too high, even though only signed for one year, to just let LV take.

Could be, maybe even a deal with Vegas, but they do have to lose somebody, so they'd need a good return. Either way, safe to say they're not gonna give up Ellis for anyone.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'd put money on the fact they were there to get a good look at Vatanen
It's the exact same MO as the Andersen trade

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I thought most of the leaf fans didn't like the trade because they woulda had to expose carrick, wouldn't it make more sense for the leafs to do it now?
what trade? You're not getting kapanen lol. There's a couple goofs that think it's a good idea but we're rebuilding, and he's our top prospect.. and was one of our better players in the playoffs. Looked better then marner.

He'll be worth so much more next offseason guaranteed.. our managements not dumb. There's smarter ways to acquire defense.

Expect our management to take advantage of how much defense is available, and use some of our expiring contracts (jvr/bozack) matched with some of our NHL ready wingers (leipsic,rychel,leivo,soshnikov) and maybe a 1st or 2nd round pick. We'll also probably take a look at free agency.

We could have used any of those pieces.. we could have even used brown, and not had to worry about exposing carrick.

But if we did trade kapanen.. I'd expect our management to take advantage of our expansion flexibility, pair him with a player that isn't exempt,say jvr, trade them both and go 4-4-1. There is a premium on expansion exempt players right now.. which would be the only logical reason to trade him. If kapanen were to be moved, it makes more sense to move him now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad