Friedman: Leafs in on Giordano, teams also waiting on Lindholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Can Gio play the right side?
No but Brodie can, if we did acquire him we'd have

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Giordano - Brodie
Sandin - Muzzin ??

I really hate some of the cheap shit Gio pulls, but he would make us a better team. Gio + Brodie just makes sense, with Chiarot off the market we don't have too many options left. It's either Gio or Lindholm

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Call it a hunch, but I don't think Matthew Knies will be a Maple Leafs prospect in a 5 days.
There are reports of him potentially playing on the Maple Leafs roster on the 4th line to end the season. If you're implying he might be traded, it's possible but it won't be for a rental. A top 4 D with term who's in his prime.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There are reports of him potentially playing on the Maple Leafs roster on the 4th line to end the season. If you're implying he might be traded, it's possible but it won't be for a rental. A top 4 D with term who's in his prime.
That’s kinda why I can’t see lindholm going to leafs… it sounds like the ducks have given him permission to talk extension with teams trading for him…. And I’m not sure the leafs can extend them even if they wanted.

Strictly from a trade value perspective a team getting an extended lindholm will pay more than a team getting a rental lindholm… sounds like it’ll be Boston/st Louis or maybe Carolina as a dark horse… who I could see over paying for him even as a rental. Toronto certainly could do that I’m just not sure they would

Reactions: AvroArrow

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Not sure I've seen any reports like that.

Pretty rare that guys to college for only 1 year... especially knowing that he'd likely be destined for the AHL next year.

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
Leafs should definitely trade for him and sign him to a 7 years $7m AAV NMC contract to provide long term stability for their defense.
I think leafs should give YOU an offer sheet worth $12M! Because you made such priceless comments

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Lohrei + 1st
Knies + 1st
Neighbors + 1st

One of these three teams will cave by Monday

I hope for ANA they get a really good package if they trade him but I would like seeing him stay there. I'd love to see the Ducks on the top, even if they are not the Mighty Ones of old.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I hope for ANA they get a really good package if they trade him but I would like seeing him stay there. I'd love to see the Ducks on the top, even if they are not the Mighty Ones of old.

I was hopeful he'd sign up until recently but it seems the writing is on the wall unfortunately. Depends on who you believe, but it sounds like Verbeek's reluctance for term is a major stumbling block. Last night on TSN it was suggested that the two sides havent had serious discussions in over a week.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I was hopeful he'd sign up until recently but it seems the writing is on the wall unfortunately. Depends on who you believe, but it sounds like Verbeek's reluctance for term is a major stumbling block. Last night on TSN it was suggested that the two sides havent had serious discussions in over a week.

Well then one of the packages you mentioned could be a solution, I would see BOS or TOR going for him even as pure rental.

Mar 26, 2010
Hopefully the Leafs stay away from all of these guys. They won’t help the Leafs get trough the first round anyway.

Reactions: steam whistle

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
One of the difficult things to square up with rentals is that there seems to be a cap on what gets traded for them. I don't think Lindholm is going to fetch THAT much more than Chiarot (1st + mid pick + prospect) - I assume the prospect will be better, and the second pick is better as well, but I don't think the prospect is going to be a team's top prospect (whether that is Knies or another team's top prospect).

Teams know rentals are rentals. The value you get out of them is one playoff run. Historically that has capped what teams can maximize and is why guys all go for similar bunches of assets despite there clearly being a difference between the players, because even if you're trading for a top pairing guy - yes, he's worth more to you than Ben Chiarot - but he's not worth mortgaging the future considering the variance in the sport.

If Lindholm is dealt with an extension - obviously that changes things dramatically.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
guy way past his prime? sounds about right
Regardless of being past his prime, he’s still an upgrade and provides a veteran presence on the blue line without being dead weight. Geo can still play and it’s not like he’s signed long term. He’s the perfect rental. I’d be happy with him if we feel like we’re capable of a cup run, as long as we don’t move a key piece or sign him to a lengthy extension with a high AAV. That said, I don’t think even prime Geo could make Mrazek a legit number one so if Campbell stays down and/or doesn’t return to form it’s more or less a pointless signing. Unless a certain Marlies goalie goes on a Cinderella run, but that too is a fairy tale that I’m not going to count on until there’s more evidence.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If Chara is willing and he can be had for cheap, that's a move I'd make (this given Dubas has stated he doesn't want to give up their top prospects or any more first round picks). He may not bring much in terms of play but this team could use an intimidating presence in the dressing room more so than on the ice.

I think he's the type that if he saw certain players coasting when the team is up late in a game, etc. he'd call them out on it. And who is going to just brush him off? More likely they'd leave a puddle on the ice. (Even better if they had a "Chara" type in net but I don't think there's many intimidating/No B.S. goalies in the game, at least none available)

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
One of the difficult things to square up with rentals is that there seems to be a cap on what gets traded for them. I don't think Lindholm is going to fetch THAT much more than Chiarot (1st + mid pick + prospect) - I assume the prospect will be better, and the second pick is better as well, but I don't think the prospect is going to be a team's top prospect (whether that is Knies or another team's top prospect).

Teams know rentals are rentals. The value you get out of them is one playoff run. Historically that has capped what teams can maximize and is why guys all go for similar bunches of assets despite there clearly being a difference between the players, because even if you're trading for a top pairing guy - yes, he's worth more to you than Ben Chiarot - but he's not worth mortgaging the future considering the variance in the sport.

If Lindholm is dealt with an extension - obviously that changes things dramatically.

Some GMs know their seat may be hot, and losing in the playoffs when not even trying to improve the club is a bad look. There is definitely a sweet spot in which GMs are willing to give up large packages of futures for players like Lindholm (even Chariot for some reason). I expect a Lindholm trade will provide the Ducks with a large package. Whether they decide they prefer a top prospect or a late 1st as the 1st piece remains to be seen.

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
Some GMs know their seat may be hot, and losing in the playoffs when not even trying to improve the club is a bad look. There is definitely a sweet spot in which GMs are willing to give up large packages of futures for players like Lindholm (even Chariot for some reason). I expect a Lindholm trade will provide the Ducks with a large package. Whether they decide they prefer a top prospect or a late 1st as the 1st piece remains to be seen.

They'll get a 1st + prospect + mid pick. They won't get a 1st + Knies is what I am saying. GMs on the hotseat goes both ways with big swings at rentals. Dubas was rightfully criticized for the price paid for Foligno given how little he was able to contributed.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If the leafs paid that much for a rental with the goaltending they are getting there would be riots in the streets lol
Leafs are doomed to riot on the streets anyway…. If they lose round 1 dubas prob got to be on chopping block…. Lindholm out of everyone available at least helps mitigate sub par goaltending

Lindholm + stolarz
For

Knies/robertson , villenueve , 1st mrazek

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Lohrei + 1st
Knies + 1st
Neighbors + 1st

One of these three teams will cave by Monday
I will pay you if any of these happen. It'll be Dermott + 2nd maybe a late round pick as well. Gio is a good player but he's 38, you don't give up on a prospect like Knies and his entire future PLUS a 1st rounder for one playoff run of Gio...especially in the Atlantic. It's going to be a blood bath in the first 2 rounds.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I will pay you if any of these happen. It'll be Dermott + 2nd maybe a late round pick as well. Gio is a good player but he's 38, you don't give up on a prospect like Knies and his entire future PLUS a 1st rounder for one playoff run of Gio...especially in the Atlantic. It's going to be a blood bath in the first 2 rounds.
They are talking about lindholm

Reactions: AvroArrow

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I doubt Gio gets less than Chiarot tbh. Still more teams demanding defensemen than supply in market so Knies+1st seems reasonable with retention

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Haha those were for Lindholm, you can still pay if you want.

Agreed that no one should give up close to that for Kneeordano

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
I have to say, Giordano in the blue and white would look absolutely gross and I hope it never happens. He’s a flame in my eyes, even with the Kraken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad