Friedman: Leafs in on Giordano, teams also waiting on Lindholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Would it be pretty easy for the Leafs to extend Lindholm if they trade for him? Do they have enough cap flexibility in the off-season? Or is it easy enough to create that cap space?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Would it be pretty easy for the Leafs to extend Lindholm if they trade for him? Do they have enough cap flexibility in the off-season? Or is it easy enough to create that cap space?

I highly doubt it. Lindholm would be incredibly difficult, without moving Nylander.

Gio might not be the player he once was, but he's still quite useful, and it wouldn't shock me, to see him extend in Toronto, for a team friendly deal... assuming the relationship works out.

Reactions: banks

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I highly doubt it. Lindholm would be incredibly difficult, without moving Nylander.

Gio might not be the player he once was, but he's still quite useful, and it wouldn't shock me, to see him extend in Toronto, for a team friendly deal... assuming the relationship works out.
Oh I absolutely expect Gio to extend for cheap on the Leafs if he were to go there. They are still bound to be very competitive next season and that is what Gio is looking for.

Reactions: banks and Fogelhund

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Better to take your best shot and fail rather than not try to win at all when you have prime Matthews/Marner/Tavares. Dubas constructed this team to compete/win now, no chance this team doesn't go for it. It's no different than playing against another elite team in the conference finals or cup final, you can't just not try because there's tough competition. Colorado will most likely steamroll the entire West, doesn't mean teams shouldn't try to win.

But is Toronto a Giordano away from actually being a threat to Tampa? That's the question.
Is there anything they can spend assets on that immediately you say "K, they have a good shot here." Like, does Flower want to go there? Outside of that... not many goalies around that'll steal a round from Tampa in the market.

For the Pacific teams, and the central teams that aren't WC, you see Colorado in the second and third round of the playoffs. Lots can happen in one or two rounds of playoffs. Injuries, fatigue, player having to pay a toll to get their 4 wins in a round... Toronto is going head first into the two-time defending champs with a goaltending duo of a career backup and a guy who's got 2 career games in him.

Also, saying Tavares is in his prime... I mean, that's a little complimentary at this stage :laugh:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Even at 6mil it's a stretch. Even if we move Mrazek we either sign or replace Campbell so that's a wash. Kerfoot and Holl gets you close but now your replacing Kerfoot and still short on my lowball offer.

That said we are elite at cap manipulation so never say never.

Could also move on from Muzzin which makes it more plausible.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
oh thank god. If Toronto trades for this guy, that means none of their players will be coming here.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
This trade won't happen unless Francis wants to do Geo a solid and take less in a trade for him. He won't and Geo will leave for free and he'll get nothing because Dubas likely won't pay the price Francis wants.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
But is Toronto a Giordano away from actually being a threat to Tampa? That's the question.
Is there anything they can spend assets on that immediately you say "K, they have a good shot here." Like, does Flower want to go there? Outside of that... not many goalies around that'll steal a round from Tampa in the market.
I mean, they are 1-1 against each other this year. They've been pretty competitive against them.... it probably comes down to injuries and luck on either team. *** assuming Leafs goalies find their form again... which is questionable right now.

Reactions: banks

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

For the Pacific teams, and the central teams that aren't WC, you see Colorado in the second and third round of the playoffs. Lots can happen in one or two rounds of playoffs. Injuries, fatigue, player having to pay a toll to get their 4 wins in a round... Toronto is going head first into the two-time defending champs with a goaltending duo of a career backup and a guy who's got 2 career games in him.

Also, saying Tavares is in his prime... I mean, that's a little complimentary at this stage :laugh:
Despite what the hockey pundits on HF think he's outpacing his career average this year

Also as for injuries, they can happen in the first round as well. This team should be competing for the cup. They're top 5 in most categories.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Not really / at all.

Lindholm is likely a $7m+ defenceman. Even if you assume they move Muzzin, they're still without a capable goalie.

If anything, with Rielly's deal coming in, they need to look at routes where they can potentially move Muzzin and replace him with somebody a little cheaper. Giordano, presumably, would fit quite well in this regard.

At 38 years old, he's probably not quite into Spezza-contract territory yet, but I'd imagine he can be signed for $2-4m if it's where he wants to be.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Call me crazy... but I don't see Tampa as all that scary. They've lost a lot of the "bite" and depth they've had over the past two years. They may of course still add at the deadline, but it does not appear that they have any cap flexibility to do so.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Call me crazy... but I don't see Tampa as all that scary. They've lost a lot of the "bite" and depth they've had over the past two years. They may of course still add at the deadline, but it does not appear that they have any cap flexibility to do so.
if we add Miller, Mayfield and Varly I feel we are deeper/better than Tampa

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Giordano would be nice for them but very optional

Send Seattle a low ball bid with them retaining half, and dont negotiate. Send out a press release even saying that a final offer was made and they are pursuing some other options right now

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Which Miller? JT? That would require a ton of assets to get all those players.
I was playing on capfriendly and its doable but its VERY expensive
I had 2023 1st+Lilj+Robertson+Dermott going to Van for Miller @50%
2022 1st+2022 2nd+Knies+Mrazek for Mayfield+Varly@50%

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Likely not without a substantial disruption to the roster in the offseason. Especially if he was looking for an extensive in the 6-8ml range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino