Dreger: Leafs in market for Shutdown D - Holland available

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Love how this says holland avail . No really ? He was waived and cleared already

When will people realize that his waiving at the beginning of the season had nothing to do with his availability or current value. He was waived for money reasons, not performance reasons or because we didn't want him. Because he cleared, we got 800k off his cap hit and increased his value as a result. If he was really waiver fodder, we wouldn't have qualified him in the first place (like Percy, Carrick, Smith, etc.) and let him become a free agent.

Like Laich, Greening and Michalek, he just lost to a huge numbers games at forward. The Leafs preferred to play younger guys in the lineup over (arguably better in some cases) veterans and the vets either saw their ice time cut or were waived. The fact that Holland hasn't been waived yet and Leivo was placed on IR shows that there is probably something out there for him right now, unlike the latter three who were waived pretty much immediately.

I wouldn't be surprised that between our game on Saturday against Washington and our trip out West in the middle of next week he's moved out for more than people expected him to get and we have Leivo off of the IR. There is not a lot of basis for this claim more than a gut feeling, but I know Holland has more value than people are making it out to be.

As for the defenseman thing, I doubt we are considering most of the options presented to us on here unless the other team is paying us to take them on.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Holland is the bait?

I guess Leafs wants waiver fodder in return?

what's with people coming in here not reading the op? your joke has been done 1000 times already, at no point was it Holland for a Dman. It is we are "looking for a defensive dman oh and by the way we also have Holland if anyone wants him". How hard is it to work that out?

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
JVR has put up 1st line numbers since arriving on the Leafs, about 3.5 seasons worth of games

I dont mean that. JVR is 1st line not-star winger. Solid add to any team. His problem is 18 months to UFA versus 3.5 seasons of Hamonic.

Double term, much higher value. Double term with 2mil underpaid cap, much much higher value.

Hamonic with 1.5y would be ok trade for JVR + little something + taking 2mil NYI cap.

Kapanen is speculative, so our opinions differ. Not a big deal, since 20th pick is nowhere near the gap in valuation between JVR and Hamonic.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Tanev. Wasted in Vancouver at his age and contract and for the type of hockey he provides. Right handed shot defenceman with keen defensive tendencies and very good Corsi.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Klein is good, Russell really isn't.

Russell has been fantastic, a post like this is akin to someone coming into this thread and yelling 'LOL Leafs want a good d-man for waiver fodder Peter Holland?", some people have no reading comprehension, others have no evaluating ability beyond looking at advanced stats I guess.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Tanev. Wasted in Vancouver at his age and contract and for the type of hockey he provides. Right handed shot defenceman with keen defensive tendencies and very good Corsi.

would love him but would not give up Nylander, Marner or Matthews. So I guess wouldn't happen

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Been talked about in multiple threads....good player....price to high.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I dont mean that. JVR is 1st line not-star winger. Solid add to any team. His problem is 18 months to UFA versus 3.5 seasons of Hamonic.

Double term, much higher value. Double term with 2mil underpaid cap, much much higher value.

Hamonic with 1.5y would be ok trade for JVR + little something + taking 2mil NYI cap.

Kapanen is speculative, so our opinions differ. Not a big deal, since 20th pick is nowhere near the gap in valuation between JVR and Hamonic.

Oh sorry, I get what you mean

Agreed that Hamonic's contract terms are more valuable than JVR's definitely

I think the value gap here is smaller than you do, but I can see why NYI wouldn't do it as well.

I think it's easier to look at it in the most liquid terms (picks+prospects) because you don't have to factor in team need, cap, etc - with JVR converted to futures (mid-late 1st + B+/A- prospect), I think that Kapanen+Mid 1st+a B+ prospect is enough to get Hamonic in a vaccuum, or Kapanen+late 1st+another Kapanen level prospect

Doesn't account for team need, but in the scenario that NYI was dealing for futures

Unless we disagree on what Hamonic is I guess - I see him as a good top 4 guy who can play either 1st or 2nd pairing, but who isn't an ideal target as a "Top pairing defenseman"

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Russell has been fantastic, a post like this is akin to someone coming into this thread and yelling 'LOL Leafs want a good d-man for waiver fodder Peter Holland?", some people have no reading comprehension, others have no evaluating ability beyond looking at advanced stats I guess.

Didn't like what I saw last year in Calgary and Dallas. He was getting killed and spent a lot of shifts in his own zone. The Leafs are trying to reduce shots against. Plus he's another lefty, and would be an expensive luxury on the 3rd pairing.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
:leafs
Josh Manson
Clayton Stoner
Conditional 2019 2nd round pick (becomes a 3rd if JVR doesn't re-sign)

:ducks2
JVR (50% retained)
Matt Hunwick
Kasperi Kapanen

brutal. JVR @ 50 and kapanen for manson, a likely 3rd, and cap dump?

ducks would take that and run, the leafs wouldnt though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad