GDT: AUT vs. GBR May 21, 2024

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Of course there is pressure but they handled this well against NOR which was a very similar game against a similar opponent. They played a good first period today but now there is nothing left to give. GBR plays pretty well without pressure. So it goes.

FriarChill

Jan 31, 2023
Vienna
Congrats GB and Finland. That 5on3 and Raffl penalty 10sec into the 3rd period killed us today.
A little bit disappointing but after that 1st game against Denmark i thought we are in danger to get relegated. 7 points is still a great result and great games against Switzerland, canada, finland, norway and even czech republic.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well, if somebody had told me before the tournament that the freakin' GB is going to bail Finland into the playoffs, I would have asked a puff of whatever they were smoking.

Reactions: FinPanda

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Is Larmi in net today?
Hasn't been announced yet, but since he played less than 24 hours ago, the smart money's on Säteri.

Of course, as Larmi himself said yesterday, "If GB wins, we can put Leke* in net and nobody gives a crap."

*Lehtonen, goalie coach.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Hasn't been announced yet, but since he played less than 24 hours ago, the smart money's on Säteri.

Of course, as Larmi himself said yesterday, "If GB wins, we can put Leke* in net and nobody gives a crap."

*Lehtinen
Puustinen not playing, Säteri in net. Helenius on the lineup.

Reactions: illone84

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
V for victory!
1716296340975.jpeg

Thank you UK for saving our bacon!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Puustinen not playing, Säteri in net. Helenius on the lineup.
Yeah, just out it seems.

Säteri (Larmi)

Määttä - Mattila
Lehtonen - Vittasmäki
Rissanen - Kaski
Riikola - Saarijärvi

Innala - Granlund - Pakarinen
Puistola - Kapanen - Puljujärvi
Jääskä - Hyry - Helenius
Mäenalanen - Björninen - Jormakka

I wonder if the result of the game this thread is dedicated to affected the decision.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
So after all the hype in Finnish media for the Swiss game is now pointless. Finland has nothing to play for now..
not exactly the mindset I'd like to see if I travelled from let's say Lappeenranta to Prague to witness a spanking by the swiss ;) I still hope for an entertaining game and I don't think they don't play to win most probably a little less urgency than if it was do or die but I'm convinced sit back and relax wouldn't help for the QF

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
not exactly the mindset I'd like to see if I travelled from let's say Lappeenranta to Prague to witness a spanking by the swiss ;) I still hope for an entertaining game and I don't think they don't play to win most probably a little less urgency than if it was do or die but I'm convinced sit back and relax wouldn't help for the QF
I think this is good for the Finnish team, since we can play without pressure now. They were visibly nervous yesterday. I hope for a good game, it would do wonders for our confidence to beat the Swiss.

Reactions: illone84

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, can only call this a choke but Austria. I'm convinced Finland will lose to Switzerland but even if not, you at least need to put the pressure on. First opportunity to advance to quarters, playing vs a team that has nothing to win, with you having everything to win, and after performing well against far stronger opponents.

I can only assume that Austria overestimated the opponents and decided to just pond skate it up. Their ego got the best of them.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I think this is good for the Finnish team, since we can play without pressure now. They were visibly nervous yesterday. I hope for a good game, it would do wonders for our confidence to beat the Swiss.
I agree they seemed extremely nervous yesterday. Let's hope for good game without any injuries and then may be in the GMG again (I did no check if that's possible or if we would meet in the semis) :cool:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I can only assume that Austria overestimated the opponents and decided to just pond skate it up. Their ego got the best of them.
Judging by their body language during the game, I'd say it was more jitters than overconfidence. It's not so easy when you're in the historic position to bag it, no matter how teed up it seems.

Of course, we shouldn't forget that they still were the ones in the weaker position vs. Finland - as Finland was the one with all the cards in one's own hands, while Austria would still have needed help from Switzerland even if they had won.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Of course, we shouldn't forget that they still were the ones in the weaker position vs. Finland - as Finland was the one with all the cards in one's own hands, while Austria would still have needed help from Switzerland even if they had won.
...notwithstanding the fact that Switzerland is a much better team than Finland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad