Dreger: Leafs in market for Shutdown D - Holland available

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Any chance Schenn is available ?

The Coyotes would probably like to keep him. He's played well, and if Stone is moved then Schenn will be needed. Obviously though if the offer is good the team wouldn't turn it down. But I don't see the Leafs wanting to give up much for him, it's not like they're contenders.

You could have Michalek for free if you want

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
to TOR: Hamonic
to NYI: Van Riemsdyk, Kapanen

TOR gets a shutdown 3D who can also play on the top pair if needed. Could be the ying to Reilly's yang.

NYI get a big 30 goal wing to play with Tavares. They also get a 20 year old winger who will probably be ready for the NHL next season. He's a right handed sniper RW who is PPG in the AHL right now, and has experience playing amongst men in SM-Liiga.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
to TOR: Hamonic
to NYI: Van Riemsdyk, Kapanen

TOR gets a shutdown 3D who can also play on the top pair if needed. Could be the ying to Reilly's yang.

NYI get a big 30 goal wing to play with Tavares. They also get a 20 year old winger who will probably be ready for the NHL next season. He's a right handed sniper RW who is PPG in the AHL right now, and has experience playing amongst men in SM-Liiga.

I actually like the deal in the nyi-tor thread with Halak better.

JVR,Kapanen,Polak for Hamonic,Halak,Mayfield.

a 1B would be nice so anderson doesnt have to start 85% of the games anymore...he will be near 70 if this keeps up. polak wouldnt even crack the lineup if we acquired hamonic so no big loss there

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
so the majority of the nucks then?

Yes.

(As you can tell by my avatar, I'm well aware that my team sucks)

I just laughed at Holland being available, nothing against the Leafs. It just made me chuckle, I can't help it.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
leafs would view it as a cap dump and would significant pieces coming this way to even consider it.

Fine, you play it hard ball, Rangers adds Staal aswell, now you got a brand new d- pair ready to lead Leafs to victory!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Fine, you play it hard ball, Rangers adds Staal aswell, now you got a brand new d- pair ready to lead Leafs to victory!

I'd take Staal if you can retain so that his contract is 4 mill but there is no way anyone will take Girardi.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
I actually like the deal in the nyi-tor thread with Halak better.

JVR,Kapanen,Polak for Hamonic,Halak,Mayfield.

a 1B would be nice so anderson doesnt have to start 85% of the games anymore...he will be near 70 if this keeps up. polak wouldnt even crack the lineup if we acquired hamonic so no big loss there

I don't think that that would be a bad trade, but I can't see the Isles doing it.

top 3 RHD >>> top 6 wingers

add the fact that Hamonic is signed long term, for less money, and JVR is a UFA in less than two years.

Kapanen probably holds more value than Halak, but it's difficult to compare a forward prospect to an established goalie.

Mayfield's ceiling is basically a bigger, meaner version of what Polak is now. A stay at home 6D. But Polak is only signed for this year. Mayfield still has two more RFA years and could be ready for NHL duty next year.

And all of this while taking back more cap and significantly less contract years.

I just don't see NYI agreeing.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
JVR is leftie and the 3 years contract gap is huge. No deal here, unless you want to give Nylander for Scandella+

If I'm going to give up Nylander, (and no offense to Scandella), I'm going to pursue Hamonic from NY and see if they'd like the fit with JT. Or an Arizona D, Chychrun/Murphy etc.
Not that I'm doing either.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't think that that would be a bad trade, but I can't see the Isles doing it.

top 3 RHD >>> top 6 wingers

add the fact that Hamonic is signed long term, for less money, and JVR is a UFA in less than two years.

Kapanen probably holds more value than Halak, but it's difficult to compare a forward prospect to an established goalie.

Mayfield's ceiling is basically a bigger, meaner version of what Polak is now. A stay at home 6D. But Polak is only signed for this year. Mayfield still has two more RFA years and could be ready for NHL duty next year.

And all of this while taking back more cap and significantly less contract years.

I just don't see NYI agreeing.

If I'm going to give up Nylander, (and no offense to Scandella), I'm going to pursue Hamonic from NY and see if they'd like the fit with JT. Or an Arizona D, Chychrun/Murphy etc.
Not that I'm doing either.

The feedback from Isles fans in the other thread is actually very positive about the trade offer, stop being Leaf haters lol.

Even the other fan base is saying fair trade, go read the thread.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The feedback from Isles fans in the other thread is actually very positive about the trade offer, stop being Leaf haters lol.

Even the other fan base is saying fair trade, go read the thread.

I don't care what the feedback from the Isles fans was.
I was answering one specific poster on a subject in reference to Nylander for Scandella, not an entire fan base negotiated trade.

You don't know who I cheer for do you?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't care what the feedback from the Isles fans was.
I was answering one specific poster on a subject in reference to Nylander for Scandella, not an entire fan base negotiated trade.

You don't know who I cheer for do you?
I accidentally grabbed your post when I meant to get the one above yours where the guy said we would have to add a top 5-10 pick to JVR to get Hamonic

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
:habs

Desharnais
Pateryn
Thrower

:leafs

Holland
Polak
5th round pick

Pateryn could be a shutdown defender the Leafs seen to be looking for. The best part is he fits in with the age movement and is signed next year on a cheap contract at 800k.

Therrien likes his veterans and Polak could be a main stay at #6 RHD. Keep the defense as one rather than a revolving door. Based on tonight's game during the game, said Pateryn was worried all the time to make a mistake as he would be punished out of the lineup. Can be very hard on him. I see him getting the playing time in Toronto and allowed to see different situations.

Holland was on waivers and no takers. Desharnais can probably help a little more offensively than Holland. Habs fans would probably love seeing Desharnais out of the lineup, just so Therrien could stop over using him and putting him in bad spots to play. Holland would be able to cycle between 3rd and 4th line center role in Montreal. His size would be a bit more welcome too.

Thrower is a physical damn who was a former 2nd rounder. Stock has fallen off. Could be a project that could maybe turn it around for the Leafs.

Salaries are basically the same. I think it fills out the rosters better as like I said Pateryn fits the shutdown role and age group going forward for the Leafs and also locked up next year. Holland replaces an overused Desharnais and the vet Polak would probably stop a revolving door on defense for the bottom pairing as: Weber / Petry / Polak would be the right side.

Seems most likely a trade just for the sake of making a trade.

Pateryn is 27 next June so he isn't exactly old but he's in his prime. It's highly unlikely he develops much more.

Derhanais is someone the Habs should hold onto unless they need his cap money to bring in a big name. He's a UFA who brings quality depth to the Habs. Therien also has him playing only 13 minutes a night this year so the idea that's he's being overused is something from the past. Holland wouldn't be an upgrade and although bigger doesn't use his size.

If the Habs want a bit more depth Holland could just be had for a mid round pick.

If the Habs want Polak he should be available closer to the deadline and be available for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
The Coyotes would probably like to keep him. He's played well, and if Stone is moved then Schenn will be needed. Obviously though if the offer is good the team wouldn't turn it down. But I don't see the Leafs wanting to give up much for him, it's not like they're contenders.

You could have Michalek for free if you want

So, after all these years, Schenn is finally going to be captain.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Missing at least a top5-10 1st on Leafs side.

Kapanen is a blue chip prospect. Halak is a cap dump. So the Leafs are giving them a top line big winger to help out offense (Who has been a 60 point guy the last three seasons), a blue chip prospect, and take back a cap dump in this deal.

This is the basis of most deals. First liner, A level prospect, for Top pairing D, cap dump.

a top 5 first rounder is insane over payment.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Kapanen is a blue chip prospect. Halak is a cap dump. So the Leafs are giving them a top line big winger to help out offense (Who has been a 60 point guy the last three seasons), a blue chip prospect, and take back a cap dump in this deal.

This is the basis of most deals. First liner, A level prospect, for Top pairing D, cap dump.

a top 5 first rounder is insane over payment.

Why the valuation is lopsided:

1. You are selling 1.5y 1st liner for 3.5y RHD-1. Contract length difference needs to be valued.

2. Hamonic has an excellent contract, 1.5-2.5mil below the market price. That 2mil/y needs to be valued into your deal, on top of the contract length.

3. Kapanen as a "blue chip prospect" is highly subjective. Most people in Finland think he might be a straight bust. I would not value him 22nd 1st rounder at this point.

4. Halak as a cap dump? He looked spectacular in the joke cup, so not sure why he is getting dumped for apparently negative value...

As you can see, your deal is massively undervalued in favor of the leafs.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Why the valuation is lopsided:

1. You are selling 1.5y 1st liner for 3.5y RHD-1. Contract length difference needs to be valued.

2. Hamonic has an excellent contract, 1.5-2.5mil below the market price. That 2mil/y needs to be valued into your deal, on top of the contract length.

3. Kapanen as a "blue chip prospect" is highly subjective. Most people in Finland think he might be a straight bust. I would not value him 22nd 1st rounder at this point.

4. Halak as a cap dump? He looked spectacular in the joke cup, so not sure why he is getting dumped for apparently negative value...

As you can see, your deal is massively undervalued in favor of the leafs.

JVR has put up 1st line numbers since arriving on the Leafs, about 3.5 seasons worth of games

Hamonic, agreed

Kapanen I'll agree that "blue chip" is subjective, but he's trending the right way currently and is undoubtedly our best non-roster prospect. Keep in mind with him that he didn't have any opportunity to score last year on the Marlies, he was the 11th highest scoring forward (still better than .5ppg as a teenager) on a team that was 12pts better than the next best team in the AHL and only Nylander was better as a teenager. Of the guys above him, only 3 were over 23 years old, so mostly not career AHL'ers, mostly real prospects who weren't easily displaced. He has the value of a top 40 prospect, not a top 15 prospect

Halak - makes starter money, hasn't looked like a starter this year, is in his 30's. Don't think anyone is giving up anything of substance for him, definitely not a team that has 2 goalies already

I think you've undervalued both pieces from the leafs side

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad