Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed W Ilya Mikheyev to a 1 year ELC

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Losing Matt Martin was bad... Imo. A real smart bruiser. Loved by Marner etc.... I think dumping him was a dumb move.

Signing this Russian kid would be a smart move, guy is big and real talented.

I would Love to see Dubas get him back, which I think is doable. Big mistake moving him. Another player Babcock never used. Bizarre.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
How was it a big mistake to trade a 2.5 million dollar player that Babcock didn't want to use?

Did you not think we need a heavy weight player who can skate, hit and pot the odd goal? Nobody is afraid of Toronto. Nobody sticks up for anyone else, other than to yell at them sternly. Did you even watch the Boston series?

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
good god. are we being serious here? you want Matt "I can't win a fight or play hockey" Martin back?

Yep. Watching Ryan Reeves role in Vegas. Martin looks pretty good for 2nd round NYI right now too. Be as condescending as you like but we got owned in Boston. Bruins completely had their way with us. Big problem. I don’t care what you say.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Yep. Watching Ryan Reeves role in Vegas. Martin looks pretty good for 2nd round NYI right now too. Be as condescending as you like but we got owned in Boston. Bruins completely had their way with us. Big problem. I don’t care what you say.

okay dude. they completely had their way with us, but it took 7 games.

Martin doesn't look good and neither do the Isles by the way. they couldn't score in a monkey brothel with a banana stand.

Reactions: WillNy29

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
okay dude. they completely had their way with us, but it took 7 games.

Martin doesn't look good and neither do the Isles by the way. they couldn't score in a monkey brothel with a banana stand.

Told you I don’t care what you think so stop posting on my reply. Pretty straight forward stuff.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Can't believe ppl would rather have us play Martin over Moore/Ennis. Didn't we outhit the Bruins or came close to it? We couldn't score in game 7 not out muscle them.
Sometimes you need a player or two to bruise the other players up to change the momentum if things aren't going our way and we aren't playing to our offensive strengths or our scoring touch diminishes. Martin brought a lot of intangibles to the team and he is still a young dude. So in other words I would take Martin over Moore/Ennis 100% as we already have skilled-speedy players.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 Clark

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yup, was making a decision this weekend we were told.
Tick tock dude!

Maybe he did make a decision, but his contract expires tomorrow. He can't sign anywhere until then anyways. I'd expect a decision by tomorrow or Wednesday. After that, then I would question the hold up.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's the new NHL.

It's all about skill and goal scoring, "grinding out wins" has no place anymore.

Just ask the highly skilled, goal scoring Pens, Bolts, Flames, Leafs, Caps, and Jets.

Lol. Fans are so crazy. They just keep convincing themselves that hockey changes to suit their favourite teams' shortcomings. Ok. We no longer have staged fighting, but fighting and penalties for fighting still remain in the rule books. Also checking!

Reactions: noway and hotpaws

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I find it delightful how irrational people get over playoff results. Clearly Tampa has built a poor team, if only they were more like Dallas.

It isn't an either/or.

Obviously skill is hugely important, but to completely diminish the role that grit/size /toughness/intimidation play in a team's success is foolhardy IMO.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
How long before Mikheyev can choose the team he wants to play for?
Also the leafs didn’t lose because they weren’t tough enough IMHO, I think it was because they couldn’t score enough goals. They went to the dirty areas I feel, lots of slot chances, just no goals. Martin would have made zero difference and realistically the 4th line was really good so he might have made that line less effective because of lack of foot speed.

Reactions: hockeynorth

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Yes, those two, along with the super-ultra-skilled Blackhawks, those are the teams that have won like, the last 7 Stanley cups.
Lol people are hilarious. The knee jerking is almost like when the doctor taps you above the knee. Instantaneous

The narrative hilariously switched from the caps won because they got tough and gritty to the caps lost because theyre built on scoring. Im sure Colorado blistering speed was so gritty they gritted themselves to victory against Calgary.

Columbus also wasnt this team that grinded to victory. Panarin, Duchene have been lights out, Jones is a beast and Bob the goalie was a wall in round 1 but yes they beat a super skilled unheavy team with their heaviness

Last edited:
Reactions: SAMCRO44

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How long before Mikheyev can choose the team he wants to play for?
Also the leafs didn’t lose because they weren’t tough enough IMHO, I think it was because they couldn’t score enough goals. They went to the dirty areas I feel, lots of slot chances, just no goals. Martin would have made zero difference and realistically the 4th line was really good so he might have made that line less effective because of lack of foot speed.
The series was real close. We got outgoalied and out Garded in game 7. Same old story as last year. But we were a little better OA as a team no doubt. But we also got out Babed. The series should never have passed game 6. Too many errors on PK, player ice time and PP which are all coaching errors.

Reactions: Mad hatter

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The initial reports said he'd make his decision this past week-end but I don't see anything about a decision yet.

Or did I miss it?

Reactions: Mad hatter

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Sometimes you need a player or two to bruise the other players up to change the momentum if things aren't going our way and we aren't playing to our offensive strengths or our scoring touch diminishes. Martin brought a lot of intangibles to the team and he is still a young dude. So in other words I would take Martin over Moore/Ennis 100% as we already have skilled-speedy players.
We struggled to score and losing Ennis and Moore would've made it harder. We out hit them.

Reactions: Menzinger

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It's the new NHL.

It's all about skill and goal scoring, "grinding out wins" has no place anymore.

Just ask the highly skilled, goal scoring Pens, Bolts, Flames, Leafs, Caps, and Jets.

I don't understand this post. Sounds like sarcasm, but you listed the last 3 Stanley Cup winners, as if we don't want to be like them...

And what's this got to do with the thread anyway?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad