Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed W Ilya Mikheyev to a 1 year ELC

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It depends on how he's envisioned slotting into their line up. Their second line isn't set in stone and if he's being promised the opportunity to play with Auston Matthews on a short term deal, it seems like a good opportunity to put up a solid season, cash in and resign with us or another Team in the future. From the Leafs perspective a short term low cap hit deal makes sense as well.They're going to be strapped financially next season. Heck, even playing with Kadri isn't that bad.

This is how I have imagined that Dubas plans of getting through the cap crunch.

Have a half dozen highly paid stars.
Surround them with good ELC free agent contract signings.
Sell your team to those international free agents by saying that no matter where you sign you are getting the same pay. Toronto offers them the chance to play with stars both at ES and on the PP, rack up points and then they can sign a big second contract with another team.
Toronto trades them at the end of their ELC for picks.
Uses their own picks and the additional ones to help stock up depth.
Additionally Toronto looks for UFA players like Ennis - players that have had some bad years and are willing to sign for a year at league minimum for the chance to put up some points and resign for better money a year later.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Nylander has a unique contract value. Half his contract has been paid in bonuses. He would be an amazing grab for say Arizona. Anyone under the cap for that matter. He is prime beef.

Nylander at 3.5 million a year is incredible value. He might be the most tradeable guy on the team because of that feature.

Reactions: Dragao6

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Nylander has a unique contract value. Half his contract has been paid in bonuses. He would be an amazing grab for say Arizona. Anyone under the cap for that matter. He is prime beef.

Nylander at 3.5 million a year is incredible value. He might be the most tradeable guy on the team because of that feature.
nylander after July 1st
worth a high first rounder

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Very sarcastic.....

Well, I am wondering what you as a Leaf fan are hoping to realistically get for him if the decision is made that he has to be moved for salary cap reasons.

Also, what would you hope to get if he were packaged with Marleau's big cap hit?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
LOL. Babcock doesn't dislike Russians/Europeans... He raves about guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Lindstrom...

Also, decisions isn't made... Leafs aren't the garunteed destination for this player.
he likes stars! he love to coach 20 ALL STARS and still take no blame

Reactions: kb

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017

Nylander's salary next year is $9.0M and $6M every year after. Where do you get $3.5M. Half his contract has NOT BEEN PAID.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'm excited but as others have pointed out, I'm not sure if the signing would gel with Babcock. Dubas appears to be interested in yet another skilled free agent while Babcock continues to favor truculence and intangibles. Hopefully we manage to get it done and he's our Panarin. With the Leafs luck, it'll be another Zaitsev or Jonas Gustavsson type situation though.

If he's good on the boards and on the PK as the report is saying, Babcock will like him just fine.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Nylander is super talented but man, with his effort on the ice, he makes it hard to cheer for him. He is such a mercurial guy with is effort and consistency.

Jones is not the guy I would want in a Nylander trade, Salvin or Parayko have been the 2 guys that have been #1A and #1B on my trade list for a year. If we have to add that is fine with me.

Seth Jones is worth more than both quite easily. Jones is a top 10 Dman

Reactions: Superstar

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This can't be true he's 6'2 not 5'7 we don't sign players that are over 5'10.
I know you're being facetious, but the Leafs aren't actually that small of a team. They're a bit soft, but not small.

Gauthier - 6'6
Marincin - 6'4
Andersen - 6'4
Matthews - 6'3
Muzzin - 6'3
Hainsey - 6'3
Holl - 6'3
Gardiner - 6'2
Zaitsev - 6'2
Ozhiganov - 6'2
Marleau - 6'2
Hyman - 6'2
Rielly - 6'2
Tavares - 6'1
Kapanen - 6'1
Brown - 6'0
Kadri - 6'0

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The ship to trade Nylander for a top young dmen like Parayko has sailed...Dubas missed his opportunity...St. Louis wouldn't take 2 Willy's for Parayko.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
I know you're being facetious, but the Leafs aren't actually that small of a team. They're a bit soft, but not small.

Gauthier - 6'6
Marincin - 6'4
Andersen - 6'4
Matthews - 6'3
Muzzin - 6'3
Hainsey - 6'3
Holl - 6'3
Gardiner - 6'2
Zaitsev - 6'2
Ozhiganov - 6'2
Marleau - 6'2
Hyman - 6'2
Rielly - 6'2
Tavares - 6'1
Kapanen - 6'1
Brown - 6'0
Kadri - 6'0
OK they played like a small team weak and feeble did you watch the Columbus Boston game that’s how you play hockey it’s the playoffs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Gauthier - 6'6 hopefully gone
Marincin - 6'4 probably gone, he barely plays he doesn't count
Andersen - 6'4 goalie
Matthews - 6'3
Muzzin - 6'3
Hainsey - 6'3
Holl - 6'3 probably gone he barely plays he doesn't count
Gardiner - 6'2 gone
Zaitsev - 6'2 probably gone
Ozhiganov - 6'2 gone
Marleau - 6'2 possibly gone
Hyman - 6'2
Rielly - 6'2
Tavares - 6'1
Kapanen - 6'1
Brown - 6'0 absolutely gone he almost got moved at the deadline
Kadri - 6'0

8 of those players are likely gone

Reactions: Its not your fault

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Losing Matt Martin was bad... Imo. A real smart bruiser. Loved by Marner etc.... I think dumping him was a dumb move.

Signing this Russian kid would be a smart move, guy is big and real talented.

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Losing Matt Martin was bad... Imo. A real smart bruiser. Loved by Marner etc.... I think dumping him was a dumb move.

I disagree on Martin's value, but even if I didn't we simply can't afford much more than minimum salaries/ELC's for our 4th line going forward.

What will suck is we'll probably lose Ennis and I thought he was great there.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I disagree on Martin's value, but even if I didn't we simply can't afford much more than minimum salaries/ELC's for our 4th line going forward.

What will suck is we'll probably lose Ennis and I thought he was great there.
At this point it isn't "losing Ennis", as it wasn't ever likely to be a long-term thing. He came here to build value and prove his worth on a cheap deal. He showed he can still play, and will be rewarded for it.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
At this point it isn't "losing Ennis", as it wasn't ever likely to be a long-term thing. He came here to build value and prove his worth on a cheap deal. He showed he can still play, and will be rewarded for it.

I mean sure. I'm just saying that in terms of 4th liners who will be too pricey to fit in next season, I think Ennis would have added more to next years team compared to Martin.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Hate to add to a great point but also he would be worth a draft pick if the team sputtered. Win win situation except repeats with different level of success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad