Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed W Ilya Mikheyev to a 1 year ELC

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why you all want to get rid of Nylander? It's likely Kadri, he doesn't even play in the POs

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Why you all want to get rid of Nylander? It's likely Kadri, he doesn't even play in the POs

Nylander is a floater who was invisible in the playoffs this year and last

Kadri was also invisible but for other reasons

Hopefully both are gone

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Leafs might need to replace Kapanen for cap reasons.

Because of how much $$ we will have invested in so few at the top, I expect Leafs to be very aggressive finding and signing "free wallets" for cheap to compensate in terms of cap space and spending.

Never positive eh ?

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I actually think Z played well the last 3 weeks of the season, and was solid in the playoffs.

I think he should stay with Muzzin and both should just play D and not worry about points.
I agree with you. Zaitsev is fine where he is.

Hopefully if we bring this kid over he can bolster our depth as well. Small improvements.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If the Leafs can sign someone better, you do it. If Bozak was under contract and Tavares came available, I get rid of Bozak.
If the Leafs could sign UFA Tyler Myers who's a year older then Zaitsev, I put Zaitsev through waivers even. One player in
for nothing, lose one for nothing. Personally I think of Kapanen and C.Brown as 3rd/4th line wingers at best. And would
easily cough up C.Brown for no return even to bring someone in.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If Seth Jones was available, I'd knock Nylander unconscious and drive him to Columbus.

And I would knock him unconscious for his own sake, so he wouldn't have to listen to me all giddy about getting Jones.

I actually think Z played well the last 3 weeks of the season, and was solid in the playoffs.

I think he should stay with Muzzin and both should just play D and not worry about points.
Agreed. It's pretty interesting with Zaitsev. He was actually a worse even strength player in his first year, but the narrative changed from that because he was a rookie that produced. But that production was largely driven from secondary assists to Nylander and Matthews, so it wasn't really a huge achievement.

Reactions: Superstar and DanM

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Thankfully, Dubas is much smarter than you and all Leaf fans that want Nylander gone.

Guaranteed if Nylander is traded and becomes a ppg winger/center, all you people that want him gone will be *****ing about trading him.
if you hold your breath waiting for that to happen, we can just refer to you as the blue guy in the corner, you need to face facts, Nylander priced himself out of the Leafs line-up even if they find a way to shed Marleaus' cap hit 7m for a 3rd line centre, you kidding me? 7m for a second line RW no way chum, it isn't feasible in the cap world. He's gone

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I think Z was ****ed up by having to play with BrainFart Gardiner for two years. I would imagine it's hard to play with that guy...

People also realize that the Leafs are top-heavy in terms of money invested in forwards, and Nylander is the one most likely to be moved to balance that out...

Seriously, though, I don't expect Nylander to be back with the Leafs next season. The writing was pretty much on the wall for him when the Leafs signed Tavares.

indeed look at Dermott since he got paired with the great indecision, a noticeable decline in just a few weeks. Previous to that Dermott was playing excellent hockey and full of confidence, very good in his own end and coming on offensively. I do not for the life of me understand how Babcock fails to see that, and saying Gardiner at 70% was better then what he had in reserve was ludicrous. I think Babcock gets another year and hopefully he'll be better with the incoming troops and also won't be hamstrung with guys who look like they could care less, Nylander and Gardiner amongst those guy's.

If the Leafs do sign Mekheyev hopefully he brings all of his 6'2" and 200lbs with him and a high rev motor

Reactions: Wendelstache

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If Seth Jones was available, I'd knock Nylander unconscious and drive him to Columbus.

And I would knock him unconscious for his own sake, so he wouldn't have to listen to me all giddy about getting Jones.

Agreed. It's pretty interesting with Zaitsev. He was actually a worse even strength player in his first year, but the narrative changed from that because he was a rookie that produced. But that production was largely driven from secondary assists to Nylander and Matthews, so it wasn't really a huge achievement.

Zaitsev also saw PP time in his rookie season, and hasn't since.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anyone have any good scouting reports on this player?

“Mikheyev is arguably the best free agent in Europe this season. His KHL contract expires in the spring, and there should be plenty of NHL interest at that point. The 24-year-old winger is a dual threat because he can both make plays and finish them. He has good acceleration and good top speed. His hockey sense is very good as well. He does a good job using his size to protect the puck and win puck-battles along the boards. He can also throw the occasional hit but isn’t known for that style of play. Defensively, he uses his hockey smarts for good defensive reads. He’s a good back-checker, and a capable penalty-killer as well. Mikheyev’s counting stats in the KHL may not look all that impressive but he plays for a low-scoring team, and he’s arguably the best offensive player on the Omsk roster,” – Jokke Nevalainen, Dobber Prospects

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
“Mikheyev is arguably the best free agent in Europe this season. His KHL contract expires in the spring, and there should be plenty of NHL interest at that point. The 24-year-old winger is a dual threat because he can both make plays and finish them. He has good acceleration and good top speed. His hockey sense is very good as well. He does a good job using his size to protect the puck and win puck-battles along the boards. He can also throw the occasional hit but isn’t known for that style of play. Defensively, he uses his hockey smarts for good defensive reads. He’s a good back-checker, and a capable penalty-killer as well. Mikheyev’s counting stats in the KHL may not look all that impressive but he plays for a low-scoring team, and he’s arguably the best offensive player on the Omsk roster,” – Jokke Nevalainen, Dobber Prospects

Thank you

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I'm excited but as others have pointed out, I'm not sure if the signing would gel with Babcock. Dubas appears to be interested in yet another skilled free agent while Babcock continues to favor truculence and intangibles. Hopefully we manage to get it done and he's our Panarin. With the Leafs luck, it'll be another Zaitsev or Jonas Gustavsson type situation though.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm excited but as others have pointed out, I'm not sure if the signing would gel with Babcock. Dubas appears to be interested in yet another skilled free agent while Babcock continues to favor truculence and intangibles. Hopefully we manage to get it done and he's our Panarin. With the Leafs luck, it'll be another Zaitsev or Jonas Gustavsson type situation though.

LOL. Babcock doesn't dislike Russians/Europeans... He raves about guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Lindstrom...

Also, decisions isn't made... Leafs aren't the garunteed destination for this player.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
It seems like a no brainer to me. I wonder how the leafs are front runners with him, it would seem like many other teams could provide greater opportunity.

It depends on how he's envisioned slotting into their line up. Their second line isn't set in stone and if he's being promised the opportunity to play with Auston Matthews on a short term deal, it seems like a good opportunity to put up a solid season, cash in and resign with us or another Team in the future. From the Leafs perspective a short term low cap hit deal makes sense as well.They're going to be strapped financially next season. Heck, even playing with Kadri isn't that bad.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013

I don’t think Zaitsev as a free pick up at his salary was a bad move. He played well in the playoff games I saw.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Only because Hedman doesn’t fit in the Leafs salary cap.

IMHO it isn't whether Jones will fit "cap-wise" versus Hedman. The issue is that Nylander won't fetch Jones i.e., Jones > Nylander. IF Jones was on the block which is extremely doubtful, we would need a significant add to land Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad