Dreger: Leafs have interest in McQuaid

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
What does that mean ? You realize that Toronto and Boston’s average age is like 0.7 years different? The bruins are not slow and they have tons of quality depth on D, which is why McQuaid was expendable. McQuaid is a penalty killing workhorse, fantastic shot blocker, first to stick up for a teammate, and will lay the occasional crushing hit. I hope the Rangers trade him out west, I currently love the leafs defensive roster, keep it the same. I’m pumped to watch another beantown beatdown come April. 4-1

Squeaking by the underdog in the third period of game 7 after giving up a 3-1 series lead.

"Beantown beatdown"

Okay.

Reactions: OVO16

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes I agree with @Dabruins - I just trying to get most possible value, but I actually like his fighting spirit and style. If Rangers not rebuilding I would enjoy him stay with us for a while longer.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I'm all for getting a guy who'll bully people in our zone, but he has to be able to move the puck. Not being able to move the puck is a complete dealbreaker, it kills our entire breakout strategy and makes us easily exploitable. I'd rather pay a 2nd+ for a guy who can bully and kinda move the puck (think Gudas) than pay a 4th for McQuaid.
While I agree with that i also feel the issue is compounded by the Leafs forwards often being content with allowing the opponent to get between themselves and the D-man possessing the puck.
I actually wouldn't mind picking up a depth d-man with experience provided he's inexpensive to acquire and doesn't impact next seasons limited cap flexibility.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This doesn't make sense. The last thing the team needs is depth on D. They have 4 bottom pairing D already in Oz who played half the year and was really good on the bottom pair before they got Muzzin, Marincin, Holl, and Rosen on the marlies destroying the AHL.

Unless this is part of a bigger deal that involves moving out Zaitsev's deal and bringing in RD to replace him on the bottom pair or something. But then what would the D be?

Rielly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Dermott
Gardiner - McQuaid?

Or

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - McQuaid

Not really that different I guess and pretty decent D core for sure. But I am not sure what would have to go with Zaitsev to move his contract. This is the only scenario that makes any sense for the Leafs

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
He did very poorly in the Matthews and Nylander negotiations, don’t play dumb.

I think he’s above making a trade for a player like McQuaid but I wouldn’t put it past him to do so.

Contracts aren't the same as trades or scouting which he seems to be good at both. I also wouldn't really care if he moved a mid round pick for him or had some other bigger plan.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

I think he’s above making a trade for a player like McQuaid but I wouldn’t put it past him to do so.

Yeah maybe to you. Calling people dumb cuz they dont agree with you. Great job

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
What his game been like this season? Is a serviceable #6 d-man?

Solid 6/7. Pure stay at home type. Good shot blocker and plays good D in our zone.

I said it before, but he’s a good match up guy for the playoffs. You play Tampa and Montreal with speed, then probably want someone else in the lineup. You play the bruins or caps with heavy bodies, Mcquaid will be good to have to throw hits and make sure no one messes with Matthews/Tavares.

Reactions: OVO16

Cotton

May 13, 2013

He did fine with Nylanders.

McQuaid would be smart depth at an affordable price.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This doesn't make sense. The last thing the team needs is depth on D. They have 4 bottom pairing D already in Oz who played half the year and was really good on the bottom pair before they got Muzzin, Marincin, Holl, and Rosen on the marlies destroying the AHL.

Unless this is part of a bigger deal that involves moving out Zaitsev's deal and bringing in RD to replace him on the bottom pair or something. But then what would the D be?

Rielly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Dermott
Gardiner - McQuaid?

Or

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - McQuaid

Not really that different I guess and pretty decent D core for sure. But I am not sure what would have to go with Zaitsev to move his contract. This is the only scenario that makes any sense for the Leafs

Rielly - Pesce / Hamilton/ Faulk
Muzzin - Hainsey
Dermott - McQuaid

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Rielly - Pesce / Hamilton/ Faulk
Muzzin - Hainsey
Dermott - McQuaid

Yeah I doubt Dubas can pull one of those guys. Canes are one of the best teams in the league the past few months and nearing a playoff spot. They won't be moving those guys for futures and Dubas said he doesn't want to impact the roster so why would Carolina give away a quality player just to help the Leafs?

To me this still only makes sense if the Rangers want to use their cap space and wealth to take capdumps for futures like rebuilding teams do. A world where Dubas can dump Zaitsev and bring in some toughness in the process is ideal

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Solid 6/7. Pure stay at home type. Good shot blocker and plays good D in our zone.

I said it before, but he’s a good match up guy for the playoffs. You play Tampa and Montreal with speed, then probably want someone else in the lineup. You play the bruins or caps with heavy bodies, Mcquaid will be good to have to throw hits and make sure no one messes with Matthews/Tavares.

Why would McQuaid ever be on the ice at the same time as Matthews/Tavares? Those lines are there to score, not shot block in their own zone and ice the puck.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
It would be a good addition for the Leafs, its depth at a position the Leafs need to continue to bolster and the fact is he improves the defence overall, Leafs need another D and forward to be prepared for another 1st round meeting with Boston. Muzzin shouldn't be where the Leafs finish.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
It would seem our coach does

Our board will go absolutely crazy if we sit Dermott to play McQuaid, which seems the likely outcome since our coach has a hard on for Hainsey and Zaitsev

Dermott wont sit. It will be Hainsey

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Why would McQuaid ever be on the ice at the same time as Matthews/Tavares? Those lines are there to score, not shot block in their own zone and ice the puck.

What? Not on the ice with them. If teams are putting bodies on your stars then you want guys in the lineup like Mcquaid who can play a similar game to the opposing teams players, and drop the gloves if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad