Dreger: Leafs have interest in McQuaid

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So who do you envision slots next to Rielly? I dont think McQuaid is nearly good enough to be on our top pair.

Like I said in an earlier post...trading away Hainsey would force Babcock to actually give Rielly-Muzzin pairing a chance. If babcock doesnt want to pair Muzzin with reilly at all..then

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-McQuaid

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Like I said in an earlier post...trading away Hainsey would force Babcock to actually give Rielly-Muzzin pairing a chance. If babcock doesnt want to pair Muzzin with reilly at all..then

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-McQuaid

Trade Hainsey? Why would TOR even dare to shorten their depth at D? Hainsey is not a bum. Maybe he's not a 2D, but he can play.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Trade Hainsey? Why would TOR even dare to shorten their depth at D? Hainsey is not a bum. Maybe he's not a 2D, but he can play.

Well in that case, Everyone on our defense can "play". I dont think Dubas would acquire McQuaid just to sit him on the press-box every game waiting for an injury to happen.

Out of our 6 D-man...Hainsey is the one with the least amount of skill and mobility. He's also an expiring.

Im just saying, Hainsey would make the most sense to move if we do acquire McQuaid. I'm not saying trade Hainsey for the sake of just trading him

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Doesnt make the leafs d-core any better from when they first acquired muzzin. I don't see any indications that Gardiner would get traded. He's going to be a key part in the Leafs playoff push this season.

If anything, I can see Ron Hainsey getting traded back to Pittsburgh (Pens have been looking for some bottom pairing stability).

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-McQuaid
You don't want McQuaid playing every night. As a #7, vet reserve in case of injury... sure.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Both Dreger and Bob Mckenzie both brought up McQuaid as a target.

Have to believe there might be something there

Reactions: Kupo

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Gardiner isnt an elite defenseman by any means but lets not pretend like Hainsey is anywhere near Gardiner.

Gardiner is a far superior D-man compared to Hainsey. Hence why trading away Gardiner and keeping Hainsey would worsen our team

I trust Hainsey on the ice a lot more than I do Gardiner. He’s a good rushing D man and his offence hasn’t been spectacular. When he’s not producing offence he’s pretty useless. Since both contracts are ending in the offseason it becomes a decision of which one you rather have until the end of this season. For me that’s Hainsey easily. Just not on the top pairing.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Gardiner isnt an elite defenseman by any means but lets not pretend like Hainsey is anywhere near Gardiner.

Gardiner is a far superior D-man compared to Hainsey. Hence why trading away Gardiner and keeping Hainsey would worsen our team

EDIt don’t know why it double posted

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Did you watch the Boston series last year? The issue wasn't Boston scoring greasy goals off cycles, the issue was Boston throwing the puck at Hainsey/Zaitsev every single shift and getting 2 bodies in on them. Neither of those guys can move the puck under pressure and it ends up on Pastrnak's stick in the slot. It's like a cheat code for zone entries, nothing anyone else on our team does can stop that play from being effective.

McQuaid is noticeably worse than both of those 2 at moving the puck. I don't care how many cycles he breaks up if he's just going to ice it or give it away in a dangerous spot. McQuaid is not going to beat up 2 forecheckers with massively better stick skills than him, he's not leaving that corner with the puck.

I am not claiming McQuaid is a strong puck mover. But he can do 2 things we struggle with 1) separate player from puck 2) protect the front of the net. We have at least 3 strong defensive minded centers who can support down low. The other thing that was noticeable all series in addition to only this entire season so far is how weak we are in front of our own net. Huge weakness other teams regularly exploit and especially will come playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad