Dreger: Leafs have interest in McQuaid

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I trust Dreger a hell of a lot more than you.

tumblr_lvj7doxavi1qfbbm4.gif

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So Babcock is going to press box a guy he's promoted back up to the top pair and is his number one PK option?

Does that seem likely to you? Because that sounds like wishful thinking to me

True but the the fact that Hainsey was the one who was easily demoted to the 3rd pairing when we first acquired Muzzin...tells me that Babcock is mainly using Hainey as a placeholder for pairings. If Dubas forces his hand, Babcock would have no choice.

If Hainsey is still on the team when McQuaid is acquired, then I see Hainsey and McQuaid rotating in and out

Reactions: leuf

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What? Not on the ice with them. If teams are putting bodies on your stars then you want guys in the lineup like Mcquaid who can play a similar game to the opposing teams players, and drop the gloves if needed.

If McQuaid is in a position to hit someone that actually matters on the other team, they've probably already scored a goal or two against him. Otherwise McQuaid is hitting/fighting other 3rd/4th liners and I really don't see any value in that.

A Wilson or Byfuglien type makes sense, they're out against other top players and can punish them without being a liability. Playing McQuaid against top-lines in the hopes that he hits someone who actually matters is asking for trouble.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Maybe Kreider is the target (ie Dregs connected talks to Rangers but specualted on the topic) as the Leafs are very weak on the left side ; however Kreider obviously would come at a premium i'm not sure Dubas or most Leaf fans would be comfortable with (Lilly/Sandin plus an AJ /Kap or something that would undoubtedly sting anyway is my general point). However he'd potentially be a tremendous fit with his size and speed with the skill currently on the Leaf roster.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Babcock needs atleast one physical vet d-man that plays physical on his team. Hopefully Babs doesnt Commodore Mcquaid if the rumor comes to fruition.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
True but the the fact that Hainsey was the one who was easily demoted to the 3rd pairing when we first acquired Muzzin...tells me that Babcock is mainly using Hainey as a placeholder for pairings. If Dubas forces his hand, Babcock would have no choice.

If Hainsey is still on the team when McQuaid is acquired, then I see Hainsey and McQuaid rotating in and out

After half a dozen games Babcock put Hainsey straight back onto the top pair which suggests a level of comfort in Hainsey's ability and his ability to do what Babcock wants

Hainsey is our no 1 PK option and Babcock plays the crap out of him on it

I can't see Babcock sitting him, I think he's going to stay where he is for the foreseeable future

Reactions: Scrapy1980

Gsh

Oct 14, 2018
All 6 of our D are better options and Oz will suffice as a 7 considering the price. Some of these rumours are just bad.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
After half a dozen games Babcock put Hainsey straight back onto the top pair which suggests a level of comfort in Hainsey's ability and his ability to do what Babcock wants

Hainsey is our no 1 PK option and Babcock plays the crap out of him on it

I can't see Babcock sitting him, I think he's going to stay where he is for the foreseeable future

I guess we'll see.

To me, Hainsey is the one with the least amount of skill and mobility on our D currently. He would be the easiest to replace with a guy like McQuaid. I cant think of anyone else getting benched over him

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Babcock needs atleast one physical vet d-man that plays physical on his team. Hopefully Babs doesnt Commodore Mcquaid if the rumor comes to fruition.

Muzzin isn't physical? Dermott to a lesser extent as well. Your general point is correct tho, not many guys who make you pay the price (to say the least) on the roster.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
If McQuaid is in a position to hit someone that actually matters on the other team, they've probably already scored a goal or two against him. Otherwise McQuaid is hitting/fighting other 3rd/4th liners and I really don't see any value in that.

A Wilson or Byfuglien type makes sense, they're out against other top players and can punish them without being a liability. Playing McQuaid against top-lines in the hopes that he hits someone who actually matters is asking for trouble.

It doesn’t mean he matches up against a top line. You can set a tone in the game against bottom 6 players, and most time it’s the bottom 6 causing havoc.

If I were the leafs I would want to add some cheap depth with some grit. Again, there are major issues in the playoffs when players go after your stars and you don’t have people who can throw it right back.

Most leaf fans think that Mcquaid is garbage...so be it. I just think they want depth and toughness on the back end and he fits the bill.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What does that mean ? You realize that Toronto and Boston’s average age is like 0.7 years different? The bruins are not slow and they have tons of quality depth on D, which is why McQuaid was expendable. McQuaid is a penalty killing workhorse, fantastic shot blocker, first to stick up for a teammate, and will lay the occasional crushing hit. I hope the Rangers trade him out west, I currently love the leafs defensive roster, keep it the same. I’m pumped to watch another beantown beatdown come April. 4-1
LOL average age. Core age is what matters.

Reactions: Menzinger

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'm all for getting a guy who'll bully people in our zone, but he has to be able to move the puck. Not being able to move the puck is a complete dealbreaker, it kills our entire breakout strategy and makes us easily exploitable. I'd rather pay a 2nd+ for a guy who can bully and kinda move the puck (think Gudas) than pay a 4th for McQuaid.

We are already easily exploitable.

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019
Gardiner should be traded! Everyone picks on Zaitsev but he is always on with Gardiner when they have brain farts. Zaitsev played good with Muzzin. Gardiner needs to go!!!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I guess we'll see.

To me, Hainsey is the one with the least amount of skill and mobility on our D currently. He would be the easiest to replace with a guy like McQuaid. I cant think of anyone else getting benched over him

Hainsey is one of the few players on the roster that can play on the top pair, he's not great but he can do a job and he's a decent foil for Rielly with his defensive solidity

I don't think McQuaid has ever played on the top pair so I can't see that changing now, McQuaid is a bottom pairing defenseman so that means one of Dermott, Gardiner, Zaitsev or Muzzin needs to come out imo

That suggests Dermott to me, hope I'm wrong but I think my take is reasonably sound

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
He's not very good - not that you would know from the way Bs fan pine over him. He's a 7th dman with no offensive instincts who can shot block and fight sometimes. He's not terrible or anything but I don't think he is better than any of the D the leafs already have.

All this being said - I am almost positive Benning is going to throw term and $$$ at him over the summer.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
I'd be surprised if Dubas traded for McQuaid. If they need to insert a bottom pair righty, keep whatever McQuaid would cost to acquire and put Ozhiganov back in lineup.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I like it if the cost is cheap. Would prefer Gudas though but if the bidding gets too high on him I say go for it.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Yeah I doubt Dubas can pull one of those guys. Canes are one of the best teams in the league the past few months and nearing a playoff spot. They won't be moving those guys for futures and Dubas said he doesn't want to impact the roster so why would Carolina give away a quality player just to help the Leafs?

To me this still only makes sense if the Rangers want to use their cap space and wealth to take capdumps for futures like rebuilding teams do. A world where Dubas can dump Zaitsev and bring in some toughness in the process is ideal
Kadri + Gardiner
For
RH Dman + Ferland

Buy AND sell.
Hockey trade.

For canes;
Solid puck mover rental on the left side and former 30g C behind number 1c's on a solid term contract

For leafs;
Sturdy Dman who holds the stick differently than most of our guys. Power forward rental that seems to fit nicely in our top6 .

Sounds like a move a playoff hopeful makes.

Reactions: Marner4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad