Dreger: Leafs have interest in McQuaid

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
Playoff hockey always gets a nasty. The added size, and muscle Mc provides is a plus. As already posted he is solid in front of net, he will block shots all day, and can make other teams think twice about running the likes of Marner, Matthews, etc. He would team well with a LD that can move the puck. A 3rd or 4th is a reasonable price to pay for the insurance if , no when the going gets tough.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I am not claiming McQuaid is a strong puck mover. But he can do 2 things we struggle with 1) separate player from puck 2) protect the front of the net. We have at least 3 strong defensive minded centers who can support down low. The other thing that was noticeable all series in addition to only this entire season so far is how weak we are in front of our own net. Huge weakness other teams regularly exploit and especially will come playoffs.

I'm all for getting a guy who'll bully people in our zone, but he has to be able to move the puck. Not being able to move the puck is a complete dealbreaker, it kills our entire breakout strategy and makes us easily exploitable. I'd rather pay a 2nd+ for a guy who can bully and kinda move the puck (think Gudas) than pay a 4th for McQuaid.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

I wonder what NY wants in return.

If Gorton can manage to get a 2nd rnd draft pick for him since Leafs and Kyle Dubas is despereate to strengthen their defense - I will sing the Leafs song in this year playoffs, uhm.. I will not do that, but I don`t mind a 2nd, lol. :)

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
This is the exact opposite of what McQuaid is

I took it as sarcasm on the posters part, but perhaps i'm wrong. The point he was attempting to make (imo) was that on paper McQuaid is not the kind of d he would normally covet (ie slow, not offensively inclined, not an analytics darling, bad in transition etc).

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I don't hate the idea of McQuaid on the 3rd pairing at all.

Would need to move Zaitsev though which will be difficult.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I thought Dubas was big into advanced stats. Im pretty sure McQuaid has some of the worst advanced stats in the league. Realistically, he could be a good piece for the playoffs. A 3rd or a 4th is fine with me. Honestly im probably good with a 5th too

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
He's old and slow which is why Boston gave up on him.

If he is too old and too slow for Boston that should tell you all you need to know.
What does that mean ? You realize that Toronto and Boston’s average age is like 0.7 years different? The bruins are not slow and they have tons of quality depth on D, which is why McQuaid was expendable. McQuaid is a penalty killing workhorse, fantastic shot blocker, first to stick up for a teammate, and will lay the occasional crushing hit. I hope the Rangers trade him out west, I currently love the leafs defensive roster, keep it the same. I’m pumped to watch another beantown beatdown come April. 4-1

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I thought Dubas was big into advanced stats. Im pretty sure McQuaid has some of the worst advanced stats in the league. Realistically, he could be a good piece for the playoffs. A 3rd or a 4th is fine with me. Honestly im probably good with a 5th too

You're 100 percent right on that, very new school thinker which is what makes this unlikely. If he's had for a song as insurance/depth maybe he's a target ; but I can't see him playing any heavy minutes (maybe rotating in vs the slower more physical teams) barring an injury in this theoretical simulation.

Reactions: bigdog16 and JackFr

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Sure, the playoffs get nasty but every time the B's have played the Rangers this year and things got nasty, McQuaid did nothing. Like he doesn't like beating up his old pals or something

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
This is a team with Ron Hainsey as a 1st pairing D. Yes, they can use McQuaid.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This is a team with Ron Hainsey as a 1st pairing D. Yes, they can use McQuaid.

Is Mcquaid going to take Hainsey's spot? Our only weakness is top pairing RD. Otherwise, we have a pretty good defense. McQuaid would be at best our 7th best guy, so no, we don't need a McQuaid

Reactions: uncleben

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Leafs should be interested in anyone that will make them better, as long as Dubas doesn't give up too much.

Leafs needs

-3rd pr decent dman with some grit,can fight but not a thug
-3rd/4th line forward with the same skill set as above

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
To be clear, Dreger is reporting that there may be something going on between the two teams. That's where the actual news ends. That it involves McQuaid is a guess on his part.

Reactions: Ori

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Hate coming to a thread like this where "fans" piss all over a decorated warrior like McQuaid. This is a player you want on your team. Yes, his time might be passing, but show a little respect god damn. When your dog gets too old and slow, do you just toss it out in the trash or something? I'm only talking to those who have disrespected him in this thread. It's fine to not want him etc, but to talk like he is nothing, or brings nothing is silly. Every team mate would appreciate having McQuaid on the ice. He plays his role very well.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
What does that mean ? You realize that Toronto and Boston’s average age is like 0.7 years different? The bruins are not slow and they have tons of quality depth on D, which is why McQuaid was expendable. McQuaid is a penalty killing workhorse, fantastic shot blocker, first to stick up for a teammate, and will lay the occasional crushing hit. I hope the Rangers trade him out west, I currently love the leafs defensive roster, keep it the same. I’m pumped to watch another beantown beatdown come April. 4-1

Hainsey and Marleau are 2 of the oldest players in the league, they bring up the avg greatly. The post was likely in reference to the age of the cores (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Kapanen, Dermott, Tavares, AJ, Muzzin, Anderson vs Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Debrusk, Mac, Krug, Krejci, Rask, Carlo). I'd be okay having McQuaid as an extra. Also might be a completely different series with Kadri (suspension), Tavares and Muzzin as additions.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I would put McQuaid ahead of Oz just for the toughness alone. Even with Muzzin the Leafs are still in need of bottom pairing D with some bite.
But that's assuming we trade Zaitsev. Who from the current top-6 sits for McQuaid?

I don't think he's good enough that his toughness makes him an option over the current cast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad