Dreger: Leafs have interest in McQuaid

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hopefully it's not more than a 3rd or a 4th. He's tough, but he's not good at hockey.
Would much rather pay more and get Gudas, who can play.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Right handed Vet with playoff experience and a mean streak?

He’d be a good fit on a number of playoff teams.

Reactions: OVO16

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Dubas is the last GM to be interested in this year's version of McQuaid.

The whole point was to get the defense moving the puck faster and not have the right side be easily exploitable on the forecheck.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Dubas is the last GM to be interested in this year's version of McQuaid.

The whole point was to get the defense moving the puck faster and not have the right side be easily exploitable on the forecheck.

It's hard to break out when you don't have the puck in your own end because you can't break a cycle or create player-puck separation. And then there's the whole front-of-net presence thing which I'm assuming is obvious.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's hard to break out when you don't have the puck in your own end because you can't break a cycle or create player-puck separation. And then there's the whole front-of-net presence thing which I'm assuming is obvious.

Did you watch the Boston series last year? The issue wasn't Boston scoring greasy goals off cycles, the issue was Boston throwing the puck at Hainsey/Zaitsev every single shift and getting 2 bodies in on them. Neither of those guys can move the puck under pressure and it ends up on Pastrnak's stick in the slot. It's like a cheat code for zone entries, nothing anyone else on our team does can stop that play from being effective.

McQuaid is noticeably worse than both of those 2 at moving the puck. I don't care how many cycles he breaks up if he's just going to ice it or give it away in a dangerous spot. McQuaid is not going to beat up 2 forecheckers with massively better stick skills than him, he's not leaving that corner with the puck.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Doesnt make the leafs d-core any better from when they first acquired muzzin. I don't see any indications that Gardiner would get traded. He's going to be a key part in the Leafs playoff push this season.

If anything, I can see Ron Hainsey getting traded back to Pittsburgh (Pens have been looking for some bottom pairing stability).

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-McQuaid

I would like that too. Both Hainsey and Gardiner are kind of meh. Gardiner is an idiot defensively and Hainsey is not a top pairing D by any means and won’t handle the hard minutes well in the playoffs. He’s really slowing down and showing his age lately

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
is he even that on the Leafs?

honestly, I don't see where the Leafs fit in another dman unless Zaitsev is moved... and even then, between Ozhiganov and McQuaid... i give the playing time to Igor any day.

I would put McQuaid ahead of Oz just for the toughness alone. Even with Muzzin the Leafs are still in need of bottom pairing D with some bite.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I would like that too. Both Hainsey and Gardiner are kind of meh. Gardiner is an idiot defensively and Hainsey is not a top pairing D by any means and won’t handle the hard minutes well in the playoffs. He’s really slowing down and showing his age lately

Gardiner isnt an elite defenseman by any means but lets not pretend like Hainsey is anywhere near Gardiner.

Gardiner is a far superior D-man compared to Hainsey. Hence why trading away Gardiner and keeping Hainsey would worsen our team

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
i thought of this as an idea. Like McQuaid and his toughness. Problem is, where does he slot?

Would Have to think Dubas has been contemplating trading Hainsey. Just imo.

Would be the cheapest to trade, for a mid-to-low draft pick. I think the Penguins would have interest in him.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Not saying he should go to TO, but folks always pretend injuries never happen.

Someone like McQuaid is good insurance.

As a NYR fan I won't say he's great or anything, but the folks saying hes terrible are also wrong. He is what he is. He has grit and can play the body, isn't afraid of the front of the net (something I LOVE about him). Is he a wiz at breakouts? No. But that's not always the most important thing about playing defense.

Reactions: dumpin

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I'd be ok with it for a mid round pick, but other than that I don't see the point. It doesn't improve our team one bit because he's not really much of an upgrade on anyone we have in our top 6 right now. I'm worried the Leafs are going to trade for a guy like this and due to Babcock's reluctance to play d-men on their off side, Dermott is going to be the guy that moves to the press box which will actually make our team worse off as a result.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Would Have to think Dubas has been contemplating trading Hainsey. Just imo.

Would be the cheapest to trade, for a mid-to-low draft pick. I think the Penguins would have interest in him.

So who do you envision slots next to Rielly? I dont think McQuaid is nearly good enough to be on our top pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad