Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Nothing I enjoy more than beating the Habs. Caulfield looks like a player. He always puts himself in a position to score. It’s his defensive game that may get him in the dog house. We will see. Feeling good about this one. 5-2 buds with empty net.
Not worried in the least about Cole Caufield and him being the next great Habs prospect. I expect him to progress along the same path trajectory as Domi, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Kotkaniemi, Mete, etc.... Impactful at the beginning, turns into nothing, rinse and repeat.
The guy is 5’7 and even in this new skill-focused NHL that’s too small to be a real difference maker, especially after teams key in on him and take away his shot. After the new shiny toy begins to fade and the Montreal media starts ripping him for a lazy backcheck or missed assignment in the defensive zone, he will fail

Reactions: Bellzy

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If by Dermott you mean Sandin then I agree

I think Dermott is what he is at this point.

Well it's both really. Dermott is one of the expansion draft casualty candidates. In order for him to prove that he should stay with the team, he'll need to step up and show he can play an important role outside of third paring minutes. He's not going to get PP time, so he has to show that he can be good on the PK.

He's only 24 with a couple hundred games on his belt, probably a solid #5 right. I don't believe his development is done. He has good tools that could make him a solid two way #4 d-man but he needs to keep getting better and making the most of his opportunities. Bogo's injury is one of these opportunities. Not to mention it's a chance for him to show that he can play the right side.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not worried in the least about Cole Caufield and him being the next great Habs prospect. I expect him to progress along the same path trajectory as Domi, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Kotkaniemi, Mete, etc.... Impactful at the beginning, turns into nothing, rinse and repeat.
The guy is 5’7 and even in this new skill-focused NHL that’s too small to be a real difference maker, especially after teams key in on him and take away his shot. After the new shiny toy begins to fade and the Montreal media starts ripping him for a lazy backcheck or missed assignment in the defensive zone, he will fail

and yet, DeBrincat is also 5'7" and PPG this year, his fourth year in the NHL. Size isn't likely going to be a factor in Caufield's success, or lack thereof.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The leash should be short for Freddie. Hopefully that motivates him and he plays well.

Are we still using fear as a motivator? Thought we tossed that out with those bad men that used to run the team.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
and yet, DeBrincat is also 5'7" and PPG this year, his fourth year in the NHL. Size isn't likely going to be a factor in Caufield's success, or lack thereof.
Its always gonna be harder for a guy that size, DeBrincat proves it can be done but it doesn't prove it isn't a factor.

Of 658 players to play 20 or more games this year only 3 are 5'7" or shorter (<0.5%). Besides Debrincat the other 2 are 4th liners (Grimaldi and Lizotte).

Honestly, the same thing applies to Robertson, he has a bit more size at 5'9" and 26 players 5'9" or shorter have played at least 20 games (~4%) including a number of good ones (Marchand, Gallagher, Zuccarello, etc.) so that's a pretty good increase at that height so the numbers work out in his favor a bit more.

Still, for guys that size, until they do it at the NHL level its always going to be a big question mark. Just look at Debrincat, back to back 50 goal years headed into his draft and he still went in the second round.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Criticizing a goalie with an .897sv% ain't scapegoating, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad