Post-Game Talk: Leafs Ground Jets 5-3

LadyLala

Feb 20, 2021
Wasn’t pretty, as usual, but it’s 2 points and Jets fans are salty so it’s a double win.

Reactions: crump

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It was easy to spot Brooks out there, running around finishing checks.

It's not a good thing when it's easy to spot the new guy because he's finishing checks.

Interestingly he was causing alot of turnovers and made life difficult for Winnipeg...

Reactions: Captain14

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Huge 2 points, taking the next one would be massive down the final stretch. Jets still right there with that game in hand.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
I missed the game because I was at work, but I'm very happy the Leafs ended the skid.

Matthews with a goal to add a cushion to his Rocket lead :)

Reactions: FelixPotvin29

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As a fourth line, call-up C, Brooks had a very solid 3rd period, helping his line and team keep Winnipeg locked down in their own end on a couple of different occasions. While I don't think he'll ever become a goal scoring threat ala Matthews, there were a couple of times a low shot to the pads, looking for a rebound, could have helped the effort. Well done.

Jack Campbell, while not looking hugely confident, battled hard and made some good saves at the end. I like the effort to find the puck when the Jets had the Leafs hemmed in the D zone. Should help tug him back to being what we need.

While Matthews is our 1C, the play of JT the last 3/4 weeks has been great to see. His strength, the way he leverages the stick, his pivots and stick handling are all at a season high, and it's great to see his results on the score sheet. While the team has been through a rough 5 game stretch (goaltending) the return of JT's game is something to celebrate.

Sandin has looked good. I'd like to see Liljegren given the same opportunity, if only to get him prepared for the playoffs where he almost certainly will see the ice due to others being injured...it happens.

For the first time in a long time, the Leafs didn't open the third in a defensive fashion. They came out hard and controlled the play, and were even with the Jets - if not better - in the first 10 minutes of the period. It's easier to be defensively sound (and lucky) for 10 minutes of protecting a lead than it is for 20 minutes. More of this, please.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
When you see Foligno casually finishing checks hard on a forecheck it's just a clear reminder what that kind of gritty play style can do for a line. You get a guy doing that and Simmonds and Galchenyuk and Thornton chipping in, it gets the ball rolling and tires out the opposition.

Why haven't they been watching Hyman and chipping in before now then?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Keep Brooks in when Mikheyev comes back.

Brooks like a not more ready to play a role than Robertson at the moment, which is natural given how much older and how much more pro seasoning he has. Give him some more looks.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
Jets fans are mad cause they missed out on drafting the best goal scorer in the league.
Laine was overrated and seems like Dubois is following his footsteps as well.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m really glad for everyone that we got this win tonight. It was getting pretty intense on the board. It wasn’t fun going through that for any of us. Funny how it goes sometimes that you get the win in the biggest game of the season. :thumbu: Everyone.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
As a fourth line, call-up C, Brooks had a very solid 3rd period, helping his line and team keep Winnipeg locked down in their own end on a couple of different occasions. While I don't think he'll ever become a goal scoring threat ala Matthews, there were a couple of times a low shot to the pads, looking for a rebound, could have helped the effort. Well done.

Jack Campbell, while not looking hugely confident, battled hard and made some good saves at the end. I like the effort to find the puck when the Jets had the Leafs hemmed in the D zone. Should help tug him back to being what we need.

While Matthews is our 1C, the play of JT the last 3/4 weeks has been great to see. His strength, the way he leverages the stick, his pivots and stick handling are all at a season high, and it's great to see his results on the score sheet. While the team has been through a rough 5 game stretch (goaltending) the return of JT's game is something to celebrate.

Sandin has looked good. I'd like to see Liljegren given the same opportunity, if only to get him prepared for the playoffs where he almost certainly will see the ice due to others being injured...it happens.

For the first time in a long time, the Leafs didn't open the third in a defensive fashion. They came out hard and controlled the play, and were even with the Jets - if not better - in the first 10 minutes of the period. It's easier to be defensively sound (and lucky) for 10 minutes of protecting a lead than it is for 20 minutes. More of this, please.
He was good the entire game man. He’s got game. Everyone
is going to figure out that this guy is a player. I’ve been to,d he’s not even good enough for the Ahl when I mentioned him before ha. Thats so off the mark that it doesn’t even pIss me off. He’s going to be a future important bottom 6 player for us.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
You guys are noticing Brooks because he's fast. Dubas idiotically gave up the speed advantage the team had with all these seniors and vets by trying to force possession hockey with grit which isn't a thing.

I also really liked Sandin briefly on the PP there. Too bad we gave up quickly on Lehtonen because Rielly is useless from the offensive blueline, he can't move it laterally at all and he's a worse shooter at this point than shinpad Barrie. I still think they need a new PP coach but Sandin can help turn it around by having at least one competent point man on the PP.

Team guilty of overpassing like usual but did take the damn shot at times which was nice.

Absolute disaster defending behind the net tonight, I haven't watched the East division but if we make it that far then some of those teams will have a field day setting up plays from behind the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad