Leafs fire Carlyle II - Carlyle Speaks (Link in post 227)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Strange thing that depth. But don't worry we will get rid of Kessel, find the magical first line center unicorn, and by himself he will lead the Leafs to victory!! :help: :laugh:

It is easier to find that unicorn if we trade away Kessel for picks then if we keep him around.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you are trying to prove that Chicago is a better team then Toronto I dont think you will find many arguments against it from anyone.

Kessel also have the benefit of getting away with floating out side our zone waiting for a stretch pass so he can go on a rush. I dont think that is something players on top teams get away with.

That is not what I'm proving at all. I'm saying that we need depth players. Because having depth allows the other teams focus to not be on Phil 24/7

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
So how many picks in the 20-30 range turn into superstars? Cause that's the type of team that wants a Kessel. Look at LA with Gaborik.

Star player? 5-10% ? I honestly dont know.

And super star might be to much to ask for, not even Kessel is a super star. He is a star however.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Did you miss how he destroyed Slovenia and Slovakia?

I feel this is tongue in cheek from you? If not then well destroying two teams who were not even medal threats means very little to me. He was a ghost in the medal rounds and was invisible against Canada, you know, the games that actually mean something.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Kovalchuck is a very good example of a winger who changed his game to become more physical and better defensively. Such a shame he is not in the NHL any more. Amazing talent.

And of course no one player makes or breaks a team. But the ones who gets paid the most is expected to contribute the most. Kessel only play half the ice, avoid making a play if it means he could get hit, gets frustrated when he does not score but have nothing else to contribute with to ease the tension. Not a leader, not a follower either (like JVR) but some one who plays the game for him self by his own rules.

You're not giving any numbers, stats or tangible data that can be used to argue your claims. All of this is complete BS started by Watters who's still pissy about being fired by the Leafs, and Feschuk who clearly has a hard on for dumping on Phil. Give me the talented player over the nice guy who takes a hit, but is otherwise a plug.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I feel this is tongue in cheek from you? If not then well destroying two teams who were not even medal threats means very little to me. He was a ghost in the medal rounds and was invisible against Canada, you know, the games that actually mean something.

So was the rest of the American team, what's your point?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Ten candidates to replace Randy Carlyle as next coach of Maple Leafs

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-coach-of-maple-leafs/article22315113/?page=1

After the Toronto Maple Leafs fired coach Randy Carlyle, general manager Dave Nonis handed the reins to assistants Peter Horachek and Steve Spott for the time being. Here’s a look at some of the potential candidates to take over on a full-time basis, either soon or after the season:

image.jpg

Pete DeBoer

Fired as coach of the New Jersey Devils on Dec. 26, DeBoer could fit right in with what the Maple Leafs want to do as far as improving puck possession. DeBoer has a relationship with Spott and winger David Clarkson from the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League and is considered a Brendan Shanahan guy.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Ten candidates to replace Randy Carlyle as next coach of Maple Leafs

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-coach-of-maple-leafs/article22315113/?page=1

After the Toronto Maple Leafs fired coach Randy Carlyle, general manager Dave Nonis handed the reins to assistants Peter Horachek and Steve Spott for the time being. Here’s a look at some of the potential candidates to take over on a full-time basis, either soon or after the season:

image.jpg

Pete DeBoer

Fired as coach of the New Jersey Devils on Dec. 26, DeBoer could fit right in with what the Maple Leafs want to do as far as improving puck possession. DeBoer has a relationship with Spott and winger David Clarkson from the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League and is considered a Brendan Shanahan guy.

No to DeBoer please. As much as I want to get better defensively and improve puck possesion, I do not want us to become a trap team that wastes the talent of its young players.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
No to DeBoer please. As much as I want to get better defensively and improve puck possesion, I do not want us to become a trap team that wastes the talent of its young players.

Check out the article, it lists 10 candidates but there could be more later perhaps after the season, Babcock is a good coach but he wants to coach a winner and there is no guarantee he will sign here.

De Boer has worked with Spott and could fit right in and work well with the current team and coaches and I'm not a big fan of the trap either but the shots on goal is way too high and those type of strategies will work to cut down the shots on our net.

Swayze*

Check out the article, it lists 10 candidates but there could be more later perhaps after the season, Babcock is a good coach but he wants to coach a winner and there is no guarantee he will sign here.

De Boer has worked with Spott and could fit right in and work well with the current team and coaches and I'm not a big fan of the trap either but the shots on goal is way too high and those type of strategies will work to cut down the shots on our net.
Jersey demands a trap game from every coach they hire

He may change his system based on the team

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
:laugh: I think we already did with Nylander. Maybe we should trade him too.

That of course depends on how he develops. If he becomes more of a Giroux/Kane type of player then no, you keep him at all cost. If he develops in to a Kessel type of player you do trade him. If you dont find good principles and never stick to them you will never be successful.

But so far he have shown nothing that would support a case of him being lazy. He did float around at times for Sweden in the WJC but nothing to really worry about considering the coach told him to do it.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
How convenient. Carlyle takes the hit for Nonis' complete and utter failings as a GM.

The more things change, the more they remain the same. Team sucks? Blame the coach.

Not saying I disagree with the move, but there should have been two heads rolling under the chopping block today, not just one.

Agree, but in my opinion Shanny appears to be a guy who likes to work in a slow and calculative manner, and I think its highly possible Nonis is next, maybe some personelle changes first..but I can't imagine Nonis is now not on the hot seat if the leafs continue to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad