Leafs fire Carlyle II - Carlyle Speaks (Link in post 227)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We should trade Reimer to Minny.

I know they were talking to us last deadline about him.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
How convenient. Carlyle takes the hit for Nonis' complete and utter failings as a GM.

The more things change, the more they remain the same. Team sucks? Blame the coach.

Not saying I disagree with the move, but there should have been two heads rolling under the chopping block today, not just one.

Are you serious right now? The leafs will win he cup now that Wilson is gone. He was the reason for it. Not the GM, players, or janitors. Him, and him alone. There will be no more letdowns, trucks over cliffs, or bad Corsi. Wilson is gone and the world is better for it.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If the Leafs spent their time refuting every horsecrap article written about the organization and its players by this poisonous local media, they'd have to create an entirely new department to do so.

The fact you give any credence to the Bill Watters' and Dave Feschuk's of the world tells me everything I need to know about your ability to filter out the noisy nonsense generated by the windbags in this town. I bet you were a Howard Berger fan, too?

I had responded to that post with the exact same response but the thread was locked by the time I hit "submit reply" and I didn't feel like explaining it again. Thanks.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So what's the plan? Go interim for the rest of the year and hope Babcock becomes available for multi-millions?

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
If the Leafs spent their time refuting every horsecrap article written about the organization and its players by this poisonous local media, they'd have to create an entirely new department to do so.

The fact you give any credence to the Bill Watters' and Dave Feschuk's of the world tells me everything I need to know about your ability to filter out the noisy nonsense generated by the windbags in this town. I bet you were a Howard Berger fan, too?

I already replied regarding this. Leafs pretty much accepted that what was written in Feschuck's article was true. I don't like Feschuk. Not one bit. But Leafs accepted those allegations. I don't like Cox, Simmons, Berger, even Siegel. Heck, let me simplify, I'd only read what James Mirtle writes among all Leafs reporters. Point here was about the message, not the messenger. And the Leafs acknowledged the validity of that message.

Next time, present forward actual logical points rather than attacking someone's fandom or making up theories. ;)

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I already replied regarding this. Leafs pretty much accepted that what was written in Feschuck's article was true.

I don't like Feschuk. Not one bit. But Leafs accepted those allegations.

How so?

I don't like Cox, Simmons, Berger, even Siegel. Heck, let me simplify, I'd only read what James Mirtle writes among all Leafs reporters.

Point here was about the message, not the messenger. And the Leafs acknowledged the validity of that message.

How so?

Let's see some of those logical points you're going on about.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I have followed his career quite closely since he was drafted. I also heard similar narratives about the current Goals leader and a future HOFer who were also driven from Boston.

It's funny how easily some of you buy into these narratives that are perpetuated by "media insiders" who are looking to do nothing more but maintain a connection with the current management group.

Future what? Lets see how long mr Streaky can stay hot down in Dallas before we label him anything.

Thing is, you dont hear much negative talk about players in general. The league and the media is rather conservative that way. But Phil has since he was 17 years old and first came in to the spot light been surrounded by rumours and even players and coaches saying he is difficult to work with. That he is selfish and lazy.

And here we are, 10 years later and the same things are being said again. A leopard does not change his spots. I doubt mr Dallas will change his either and will have a career of ups and downs and him disappearing when the going gets tough.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So what's the plan? Go interim for the rest of the year and hope Babcock becomes available for multi-millions?

Interim until the end of the season and then see how it went and who's available.

Pretty simple to me.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I already replied regarding this. Leafs pretty much accepted that what was written in Feschuck's article was true. I don't like Feschuk. Not one bit. But Leafs accepted those allegations. I don't like Cox, Simmons, Berger, even Siegel. Heck, let me simplify, I'd only read what James Mirtle writes among all Leafs reporters. Point here was about the message, not the messenger. And the Leafs acknowledged the validity of that message.

Next time, present forward actual logical points rather than attacking someone's fandom or making up theories. ;)

Where did they acknowledge the validity of the message?

ThatQuietGuy93

Apr 23, 2013
London On
Who is going to clean up the hot beans and cheese that was spilt on the ice? Whoever does, hopefully they don't slip and fall and repeat history.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
We should trade Reimer to Minny.

I know they were talking to us last deadline about him.

We should trade Bernier to Minny.

Play Reimer every game and land McEichel.

I know it's too late, we would win some games 6-5.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Interim until the end of the season and then see how it went and who's available.

Pretty simple to me.
That would make sense. Just hoping the powers that be think things through....not exactly a slam dunk.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How convenient. Carlyle takes the hit for Nonis' complete and utter failings as a GM.

The more things change, the more they remain the same. Team sucks? Blame the coach.

Not saying I disagree with the move, but there should have been two heads rolling under the chopping block today, not just one.

Some ppl thought all was good in Leafs land?

Feb 24, 2004
Future what? Lets see how long mr Streaky can stay hot down in Dallas before we label him anything.

Thing is, you dont hear much negative talk about players in general. The league and the media is rather conservative that way. But Phil has since he was 17 years old and first came in to the spot light been surrounded by rumours and even players and coaches saying he is difficult to work with. That he is selfish and lazy.

And here we are, 10 years later and the same things are being said again. A leopard does not change his spots. I doubt mr Dallas will change his either and will have a career of ups and downs and him disappearing when the going gets tough.

So...lots of conjecture and subjective opinion then? I remember that hall of famers like Hull and Belfour were criticized using similarly mechanisms.

Doing "analysis" that way is what leads to Boston trading away one of the NHL's best players for a package including three cowboy hats and a bottle of barbeque sauce.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Parise's team is doing worse than kessel's team, and he's surrounded by suter koivu and Vanek.

To be fair. Parise did captain a team to Stanley Cup Finals.

For now, I'd be happy if Kessel can take Leafs to playoffs in a full regular season. Too much to ask for?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

For now, I'd be happy if Kessel can take Leafs to playoffs in a full regular season. Too much to ask for?

So did Ryan Smyth and I wouldn't have taken him over Phil Kessel.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Holy crap these radio guys are seriously screaming at one another over whether Shanahan or Nonis is more responsible for the firing. :laugh:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Think we are about to find out over the next few weeks, just what direction this team will take, if the team still doesn't improve, the next to feel the heat, will be the players, I've stated before this team will never tank however there might be some kind of purge of players and core players at that but they will never do a complete make over however something other than firing the coach has got to happen.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Fun thought.

If Carlyle was in Edmonton and he had 45 points and winning record would he be fired today?. He would likely be receiving praise and the organization grateful.

However in Toronto he is unemployed for the same record for his teams poor play.

Expectations !!!!

jazzeyman

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2013

If only one head, I would have preferred Nonis. I'm sure he's a terrible GM but not 100% sure that Carlyle is a terrible coach. Nonis is responsible for assembling this core and should be fired for the Clarkson contract alone. The fact that he's still there erases any hope I have for this team turning things around any time soon.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

If Kessel is pulling his weight and putting up point-per-game seasons and the Leafs are STILL missing the playoffs, doesn't that make you question that there may be something up with his supporting cast?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad