Post-Game Talk: Leafs fall again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
That between the legs pass by Dermott in our corner which resulted in Staal's goal to put them up 3-1 was a real back breaker

I love Dermott, but he should be taking heat for that one

Rosen was playing the puck like a hand grenade early in the game too

Marincin, well.... same old

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Only two stats were used to try and conclude ADV stats are predictive. One that shows you basically if a team gets a lot of shots on net and one that tells you if they are good at creating scoring chances in order to predict that the teams that are good at both have a better chance of winning than the ones who don't. Basically those two stats say if you spend more time in the opponents end and create scoring chances you likely win more than a team that spends more time in their end and have trouble creating scoring chances. Predictive? or pretty obvious?

Pretty much.

It's better to have the puck than not have it. Perhaps this is part of the evolution of the game I keep hearing about?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why can’t we ever trade a good player for a good player?
Why can’t we ever trade an area of need for an area of more need?

Why does it have to be we lose if we become a better team overall?

You don't get better trading talented kids after a bad season before there prime years, that's the definition of "selling low"

All I see from everybody is "balance", Edmonton did exactly that, now you think with Nylander's value at an all time low it's going to for us?

I can't believe I'm having to write this, this is economics 101

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
If you look at goal differentials of top 10 teams and bottom 10 teams like you did for Corsi and SCF% where you had 2 outliers, all top 10 are in the playoffs and all bottom 10 out of the playoffs. No outliers. Which would be more conclusive?

It's better to think of corsi, scf + pdo, etc as subgroups goal differential that one can use to try and figure out how a team got there.

It's also fun to see who the outliers are what issues they had that led them to missing out.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You don't get better trading talented kids after a bad season before there prime years, that's the definition of "selling low"

All I see from everybody is "balance", Edmonton did exactly that, now you think with Nylander's value at an all time low it's going to for us?

I can't believe I'm having to write this, this is economics 101
Again, why does everything have to be Edmonton.
Why should Nylander be selling low? If you want to move him, see what is available that fits your team.
Tampa traded Drouin. And if Drouin was a 25 goal scorer on this team, you can bet people would be puckered at the thought of moving him as well.
If Nylander is the good player you say and the GM is the good GM people say, he can work a deal.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I expected a letdown performance last night after the big playoff clinching win on the island. That being said, we could have had a better fate with a semblance of decent goaltending.

RLF

May 5, 2014
It's better to think of corsi, scf + pdo, etc as subgroups goal differential that one can use to try and figure out how a team got there.

It's also fun to see who the outliers are what issues they had that led them to missing out.

Sorry, I wasn't really being serious by asking which is more conclusive. It was more aimed at only using two of the many available stats doesn't show how predictive ADV stats are anymore than goals for vs goals against. The two stats you used will have an obvious not predictive outcome in most cases, just like goal differential.

As I posted to Egd27

"Only two stats were used to try and conclude ADV stats are predictive. One that shows you basically if a team gets a lot of shots on net and one that tells you if they are good at creating scoring chances in order to predict that the teams that are good at both have a better chance of winning than the ones who don't. Basically those two stats say if you spend more time in the opponents end and create scoring chances you likely win more than a team that spends more time in their end and have trouble creating scoring chances. Predictive? or pretty obvious?"

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Sorry, I wasn't really being serious by asking which is more conclusive. It was more aimed at only using two of the many available stats doesn't show how predictive ADV stats are anymore than goals for vs goals against. The two stats you used will have an obvious not predictive outcome in most cases, just like goal differential.

As I posted to Egd27

"Only two stats were used to try and conclude ADV stats are predictive. One that shows you basically if a team gets a lot of shots on net and one that tells you if they are good at creating scoring chances in order to predict that the teams that are good at both have a better chance of winning than the ones who don't. Basically those two stats say if you spend more time in the opponents end and create scoring chances you likely win more than a team that spends more time in their end and have trouble creating scoring chances. Predictive? or pretty obvious?"

Both and yet the outliers are important?

Why didn't Carolina make the playoffs last year and is barely scraping in this year though despite being one of the best teams in the league analytically?

Why is Vegas much lower than the underlying stats indicate?

RLF

May 5, 2014
Both and yet the outliers are important?

Why didn't Carolina make the playoffs last year and is barely scraping in this year though despite being one of the best teams in the league analytically?

Why is Vegas much lower than the underlying stats indicate?

That is my point. Without using all info, any two stats together don't really predict if the outcome of the two combined is obvious.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why should Nylander be selling low? If you want to move him, see what is available that fits your team.
Tampa traded Drouin. And if Drouin was a 25 goal scorer on this team, you can bet people would be puckered at the thought of moving him as well.
If Nylander is the good player you say and the GM is the good GM people say, he can work a deal.

Because he's just had his worst professional season with brutal puck luck which he started half way through with a slow start

Drouin was a head case that returned a prospect that had never played a professional season
You want to trade Nylander for something with that much risk attached to it do you?

If you think we're getting full value for a kid with b2b 60 point seasons on his ECL after this season your out of your god damned mind

Trading him now is a terrible idea that smacks of emotion rather than clear rational thinking

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Why is it always have to be Willie? What if CBJ come asking and is willing to trade Jenner and Jones for Marner?
I think every GMs know each team value it’s own players, Great GMs take advantage off panic GMs.
Leafs got a lot of talents up front and that’s an advantage that Leafs should always use when it comes to trading for help. In a way, Gundy, Durzi and the 1st got us Muzzin, by that logic, Bracco, Borgman and another 1st would also be good enough for the Leafs to get another Muzzin level Dman. Why does it always have to be Willie?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Because he's just had his worst professional season with brutal puck luck which he started half way through with a slow start

Drouin was a head case that returned a prospect that had never played a professional season
You want to trade Nylander for something with that much risk attached to it do you?

If you think we're getting full value for a kid with b2b 60 point seasons on his ECL after this season your out of your god damned mind

Trading him now is a terrible idea that smacks of emotion rather than clear rational thinking

Exactly, to think that fans would have learned from the Phil trade.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Not worried.

The games vs Isles took our legs and we played a near perfect defensive game.
Combine that with the Tavares drama causing the arena and Isles players to be intense.

You add in a clinched playoffs, and Sparks in net.

Automatic easy night.
Young team who has done this on less.

We will show up for Bs.

This team always bounces back when it Counts.

Go leafs GO!!!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I expected a letdown performance last night after the big playoff clinching win on the island. That being said, we could have had a better fate with a semblance of decent goaltending.
well, no. Sparks would have had to be perfect for Toronto to have had a better fate

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Can somebody explain how Nylander was demoted to the 4th line after almost scoring a goal, was tied for most shots on the team, and when him and Kapanen were the only forwards in the top 9 that weren't a minus in this one...

The Matthews line was working and Babcock split it up for no reason.
I would love to ask Babcock this question. We saw in the NYI game how well the Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen line looked but for some reason he can never leave that line alone and at most they get a game together and get disbanded

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Why can’t we ever trade a good player for a good player?
Why can’t we ever trade an area of need for an area of more need?

Why does it have to be we lose if we become a better team overall?
if Willy's such a elite player, why are the Team Nylander's so afraid of not getting fair value in a trade for their stud of a player?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yep, it takes some really special insight not to see the Goaltender as the biggest reason for the lost points last night.
Not a biggie, his play over the last few months contributed to starting on the road, last night really didn't matter.

I guess glass half full, we will never need to watch this sieve again.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
well, no. Sparks would have had to be perfect for Toronto to have had a better fate
Dude be honest. It should have been a 1-1 game going to OT. You or i could have been tight on post with our stick flat on ice. That is not NHL level tending and I am a fan of Sparky. But call a spade a spade. The only true goal was the give away by Dermott. That one was an NHL shot in perfect placement above pad below blocker in corner by post.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dude be honest. It should have been a 1-1 game going to OT. You or i could have been tight on post with our stick flat on ice. That is not NHL level tending and I am a fan of Sparky. But call a spade a spade. The only true goal was the give away by Dermott. That one was an NHL shot in perfect placement above pad below blocker in corner by post.
Maybe with Andersen in net you can expect that, but I don't expect a backup to stop 35 of 36 shots. That's unreasonable. I do expect Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Rielly, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, and Kapanen to contribute more than 1 goal

Reactions: mulefarm

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Garett Sparks literally scored on himself twice last night,what a f***ing idiot he's been awful all year somebody needs to smack him in the mouth as hard as they can

Garett Sparks is a piece of shit

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The team wasn't good enough to win but 2 goals going in from behind the goal line is unacceptable. Sparks hasn't gotten the necessary run support but also hasn't made the necessary saves of late.

Yep. Good goaltending actually buys time before your team turns it around in the game, and not put the team behind the 8-ball when the game is still up for grabs...otherwise, why need goaltending at all, just play with an empty net from the start.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don't think so......who said anything about probably winning the Cup?

The prevailing sentiment here seems to be they may as well forfeit to the big scary Bruins because our 46 ROW's were achieved with smoke and mirrors their 46 ROW's were achieved with heart and soul efforts.
I'm not sure about "prevailing sentiment", but except for the playoff predictions, I don't think I'm too far off base.

And it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad