Post-Game Talk: Leafs fall again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Man the whining in this thread is insane.... Bolts just got beat by the Habs, do you think their board is this brutal?

Team's a lock for the playoffs & matchup, one of the worst backups in the league in net, what exactly were you guys expecting ???

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Man the whining in this thread is insane.... Bolts just got beat by the Habs, do you think their board is this brutal?

Team's a lock for the playoffs & matchup, one of the worst backups in the league in net, what exactly were you guys expecting ???

They’ve had a great season and haven’t been flirting with 500 in the past 50 games.

Reactions: Matthews34

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Exactly... Winnipeg just got stomped too. Are they bitching like this? Chill out. We're on the verge of another 100 point season

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The team wasn't good enough to win but 2 goals going in from behind the goal line is unacceptable. Sparks hasn't gotten the necessary run support but also hasn't made the necessary saves of late.
One on a deflection off his own defenceman, and the other on a powerplay after a lost faceoff, by an unchecked player on his third shot.

Of course all the blame is on the goalie.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs played the 1st half the game, appearing content they had clinched a playoff spot the night earlier and were in curse control with 2 shots on net in the 1st period.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
They’ve had a great season and haven’t been flirting with 500 in the past 50 games.

And yet we're 5th in the league with the 4th best goal differential overall lol. Should everyone who isn't having one of the best seasons in the past 2 decades hate their team this much?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Let's see:

Islanders lose 2-1 on a bad goal, in their first game after clinching a playoff spot, by a team still fighting for a playoff spot, and it proves that they are a garbage team going nowhere, probably swept in the first round.

Leafs lose 4-1 on a bad goal, in their first game after clinching a playoff spot, by a team still fighting for a playoff spot, and it was a meaningless game, and we'll probably win the Cup.

Did I get that right?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
And yet we're 5th in the league with the 4th best goal differential overall lol. Should everyone who isn't having one of the best seasons in the past 2 decades hate their team this much?

Great record in the first 30 games that carried them the what looks like a top 10 finish. Which is fine because the goal is to collect points and make the playoffs.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland

In their defense the Bolts started a guy with 1 career NHL game before last night. They didn't expect to win, and have nothing to play for whatsoever.
Leafs were still fighting for home ice advantage and their backup had another terrible game and has been bad all year.
Especially terrible since he stood up in front of reporters and called out his team. I don't mind a player trying to call out a team, but perhaps someone else would have been better to do so.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Let's see:

Islanders lose 2-1 on a bad goal, in their first game after clinching a playoff spot, by a team still fighting for a playoff spot, and it proves that they are a garbage team going nowhere, probably swept in the first round.

Leafs lose 4-1 on a bad goal, in their first game after clinching a playoff spot, by a team still fighting for a playoff spot, and it was a meaningless game, and we'll probably win the Cup.

Did I get that right?

Not even remotely? First off they have two good goalies, and they weren't on a back to back. Also neither team is likely to win a cup, Tampa is likely to slaughter everyone coming out of the East.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Don't care about the loss. They secured a PO spot. I am smarter than Dubas when picking between two backups. So is Babcock. McBackup

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
mrazek played extremely well last night

those 2-1 saves on willy and kap in the slot were huge

imo we score on either one of them and we win that game

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not even remotely? First off they have two good goalies, and they weren't on a back to back. Also neither team is likely to win a cup, Tampa is likely to slaughter everyone coming out of the East.
While I really agree with you, I was just trying to summarize the apparent logic behind a lot of the posts here.

Similar to how, if you go by some posters here, you will easily see that the Isles goalies are really two of the worst in the league, and it's pure luck that the team isn't in last place.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tough game for our Buds on a back to back. A real stinker by Sparky. I expected a much better effort from him and a bounce back. He could have got us a point that game - not that it really matters for playoff match-up but it was discouraging.
Z is absolute garbage. He is in over his head. I hope Babs pulls him out of line-up (but he won't because Babs brought him over). Babs should stay clear of any scouting in KHL. He clearly does not get it. Oz too another huge mistake.
Marleau got benched last night which is first time ever he has sat. Maybe a message was sent.
Here is what we need on defense for Bruins. Not great but gives us our best chance.
Rielly Muzz (and they need to play 30 minutes a night)
Hainsey Gards (if Hainsey can't keep up then move Dermott up)
Dermott Rosen

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Lets see how advanced stats did this year predicting playoff teams:

Top ten Corsi:

Sharks
Hurricanes
Knights
Canadians
Flames
Bruins
Lightning
Preds
Leafs
Blues

Worst ten:

Senators
Rangers
Devils
Ducks
Wings
Kings
Canucks
Oilers
Flyers
Stars

Almost a perfect job done here with only Dallas the only playoff team at the bottom of the worst riding Bishop and being the a weak conference.

Top 10 SCF%:

Knights
Sharks
Hurricanes
Flames
Canadians
Leafs
Wild
Lightning
Bruins
Pens

Bottom 10 SCF%:

Canucks
Ducks
Sens
Rangers
Wings
Kings
Blackhawks
Oilers
Devils
Flyers

Great job here too with the only anomaly being the Wild. 2nd worst shooting% in the league and bottom 10 goalkeeping will do that to you though. Carolina, who has struggled with shooting% and goaltending down the stretch may be another blemish but are in the playoffs as of right now.

Yea, advanced stats+ PDO are great way to track how a team is doing at any given time during the season as well. They are not the whole story but to dismiss them is pretty closed minded.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Always sucks to lose. Even with a win though, the team would have still been the same distance back from Boston - with one fewer game to make up that ground - thanks to the Boston win. I suppose having everything known with two games left to go could have its positives too.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
In their defense the Bolts started a guy with 1 career NHL game before last night. They didn't expect to win, and have nothing to play for whatsoever.
Leafs were still fighting for home ice advantage and their backup had another terrible game and has been bad all year.
Especially terrible since he stood up in front of reporters and called out his team. I don't mind a player trying to call out a team, but perhaps someone else would have been better to do so.

Leaf's were never fighting for home ice advantage, cmon, lets get real because the game meant absolutist nothing. Boston was never going 0-3, and the Leaf's were really not that bad outside of a sluggish 1st period and 6-5 situation.

I agree with you for the rest, but yesterdays game meant absolutely nothing and was always going to be a half-assed effort from the buds against a hungry team fighting for the playoffs. Now, if we bring the same effort against the bolts tomorrow and Habs Saturday, I certainly would understand the outrage, the next two are playoff primers & Gards should be back.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Let's see:

Did I get that right?

I don't think so......who said anything about probably winning the Cup?

The prevailing sentiment here seems to be they may as well forfeit to the big scary Bruins because our 46 ROW's were achieved with smoke and mirrors their 46 ROW's were achieved with heart and soul efforts.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Lets see how advanced stats did this year predicting playoff teams:

When were these "predictions" made?

Because if they were made yesterday, I had much better results using win and losses. It was 100% accurate.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
It's best just to write off any result from a Sparks started game. After the 6-2 beating by the Senators (another Sparks start) the Leafs D play has been encouraging outside of the games against the Panthers and Flyers. We have two games left and we will be playing pretty much our playoff lineup. Put in two more good efforts and lets get the playoffs started.

As for Sparks, if he works his butt off in the off season and comes into camp having corrected some of his technical issues and if he can preform well in the pre-season and win those games than I have absolutely no problem with the Leafs ... waiting until the last day of training camp before putting him on waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad