Post-Game Talk: Leafs fall again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Because he's just had his worst professional season with brutal puck luck which he started half way through with a slow start

Drouin was a head case that returned a prospect that had never played a professional season
You want to trade Nylander for something with that much risk attached to it do you?

If you think we're getting full value for a kid with b2b 60 point seasons on his ECL after this season your out of your god damned mind

Trading him now is a terrible idea that smacks of emotion rather than clear rational thinking
I'd trade him for an unknown as Tampa did with Drouin.
How about Noah Dobson

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
How about Noah Dobson
That would be a deal I would do. Ty Smith, Noah Dobson, Boqvist, are guys who I would trade nylander away for. Nylander at his best produced as a 60 point player but people were acting like he was a ppg star. They said he was already an elite player back then.

The fanbase and media overrates our players. Nylander got paid more than he was worth. He has had a terrible season that has hindered his development and has people questioning his future on this team. Too many see nylanders AHL stats, WJC performance, WC MVP run, and draft pedigree and lose any desire to trade him. They dont see how this team needs a defensive upgrade. For 3 seasons we have said that we are fine in our zone and underrated defensively. This year our Goals against is bad. Our defense will be taking a hit with Gardiners departure.

Nylander is the best piece to use in a trade to fix the back end. If we get a dobson/smith/boqvist offer for him that is a deal we have to consider at the least. Smith and Dobson will be nhl players next year. I wish we had traded nylander for Pietrangelo (believe it was rumored that dubas turned it down). Pietrangelo is a Ontario guy, top 15ish defenseman, RHD, has great size, and with an extra year we could convince him to sign long term here.

Rielly-Pie
Muzzin-zaitsev
Gardiner-Dermott

Would have been a great defensive lineup to be able to watch with lilijgren and sandin on the wings.

Despite all that. I give nylander one more season. He needs to live and die hockey this summer. Nothing matters but him working on improving as a player. Fix his shot selection, work on his tenacity ( more in practice and hope it translates in game), try and become a more aggressive player(one who doesnt always go to the outside but cuts in and drives to the net), and lose some weight/muscle and pick back his speed. If dubas is dead set on this guy, then he needs to be pushed.

He needs to make up for last offseason and come back as our best player for the early portions of the year. The expectations next year for all of the big 4 will be very high. Nylander needs to hit ppg to make his contract fair next year after a brutal year of production. He gets a full season with AM34( another guy who needs to improve to live up to his contract) and needs to show he can b relied on to dominate on a nightly basis. No more slack for bad defensive plays, no more off nights where the effort is not there, no more high and wide shots. He has to become a superstar by the start of 19-20 year.

Last edited:

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Because he's just had his worst professional season with brutal puck luck which he started half way through with a slow start

Drouin was a head case that returned a prospect that had never played a professional season
You want to trade Nylander for something with that much risk attached to it do you?

If you think we're getting full value for a kid with b2b 60 point seasons on his ECL after this season your out of your god damned mind

Trading him now is a terrible idea that smacks of emotion rather than clear rational thinking

If nylander is so elite don't you think other teams will want him?

Or is he not that good and other GM's don't want him?

Seems like we might've over rated Will by giving him that contract if we cant even trade him

I agree that we probably could've gotten more for him last summer but that's another mess up by dubas

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How about Noah Dobson

So you want to trade him for a maybe? Drouin went for that after he proved he was an absolute headcase in Tampa ffs

Think about that for a second, then ask yourself why we just gave up a guy with 2 60 point seasons on his ECL for that package

I just don't know what to write at this point, I feel like I'm in the ******* twilight zone of absolute madness at this point

If nylander is so elite don't you think other teams will want him?

Or is he not that good and other GM's don't want him?

Seems like we might've over rated Will by giving him that contract if we cant even trade him

I agree that we probably could've gotten more for him last summer but that's another mess up by dubas

Your selling him on an unsustainable low, great ******* idea

The rest of it's so crazy I'm not even going to debate it, I'm not killing off brain cells on that pointlessness

Reactions: nofehr

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Your selling him on an unsustainable low, great ******* idea

The rest of it's so crazy I'm not even going to debate it, I'm not killing off brain cells on that pointlessness

I don't think I ever said anything about trading nylander now.

Of course trading him right now would result in the worst possible return.

What GM would want to give up anything of value for a player who holds out on his team, finally gets paid, more than the consensus, and then ends up with 6 goals and 26 points?

No one.

That's why after we got JT we should've told nylander that either you sign for a big discount or we are going to trade you.

But that's on dubas.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't think I ever said anything about trading nylander now.

Of course trading him right now would result in the worst possible return.

What GM would want to give up anything of value for a player who holds out on his team, finally gets paid, more than the consensus, and then ends up with 6 goals and 26 points?

No one.

That's why after we got JT we should've told nylander that either you sign for a big discount or we are going to trade you.

But that's on dubas.

No, you said we couldn't, which was spectacular by any estimation

I've got to ask, since Matthews clearly didn't take a discount when do you think we should trade him?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
No, you said we couldn't, which was spectacular by any estimation

I've got to ask, since Matthews clearly didn't take a discount when do you think we should trade him?

I said we couldn't what? Couldn't trade nylander? Or something else? Genuinely curious.

That's a bit of a different scenario but I agree Austin definitely did not take a discount.

The difference is that one has been a center man since he joined the league. The other has not.

One was good enough to score 40 goals in his draft +1 season. The other has never hit 23 goals.

One is the best even strength goal scorer in the game. The other is not.

I have a lot more faith that matthews will keep improving where as nylander seems to be stalling.

But if auston is not going to resign with the team after his contract I would not be against trading him the year before.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I said we couldn't what? Couldn't trade nylander? Or something else?

That's a bit of a different scenario but I agree Austin definitely did not take a discount.

The difference is that one has been a center man since he joined the league. The other has not.

One was good enough to score 40 goals in his draft +1 season. The other has never hit 23 goals.

One is the best even strength goal scorer in the game. The other is not.

I have a lot more faith that matthews will keep improving where as nylander seems to be stalling.

But if auston is not going to resign with the team after his contract I would not be against trading him the year before.

But I thought you wanted to trade anybody who wouldn't take a discount?

Get a bit keen did we?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad