Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Devils, Jan 10 - 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Can't say I agree with these line changes.

Johnsson/Matthews/Nylander looked fantastic for most of the game against the best defensive team in the league so of course that was broken up.

Once again Matthews and Marner will have zero time together. I wonder how many other teams split up their two best offensive players on different PP units.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Not a fan of those lines. Nylander was just starting to come around on Matthews' line, and Hyman should be on the 3rd line.

I would prefer a top 9 of:

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Hyman

Though ultimately I expect to see Nylander back with Matty, I kind of like that Babs is sending him a message that he needs to be better.

Reactions: AreBe

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm actually kind of happy to see Hyman back. Fast recovery.

Not a fan of the lines, but especially Nylander with Kadri.

Kadri's line has been bad all year... no one has really produced on that line. Our 4th line with Leivo, Ennis, and Goat looked better than Kadri's line on most nights.

And Nylander and Kadri play completely different styles too.

I would just switch Nylander and Hyman and see how that goes. We're not paying Nylander $7 million a year to be a 3rd line winger.

Lindholm also sucks pretty bad. Not an NHL player IMO. Would much rather Moore, Goat, and Ennis.

edit: and I know Ennis is injured and Goat is playing... I just meant that I have those three players ranked above Lindholm IMO.

Last edited:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Much needed change on the PP, needed to get matthews away from Rielly, its been a huge problem for about 2 months now. Matthews needs to shoot the puck for the pp to work, rielly killing plays and always going to Marner on the opposite side makes matthews useless on the pp. The pp will be drastically better now. Trust.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Much needed change on the PP, needed to get matthews away from Rielly, its been a huge problem for about 2 months now. Matthews needs to shoot the puck for the pp to work, rielly killing plays and always going to Marner on the opposite side makes matthews useless on the pp. The pp will be drastically better now. Trust.

Gardiner holding on to the puck for like forever ain't gonna be so much nicer though.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Gardiner holding on to the puck for like forever ain't gonna be so much nicer though.
Considering who Gardiner was playing with for the longest time on the 2nd unit, I dont blame him.

He was really good at shooting for tips on that unit too.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think Leafs win the next 3. I think it's good teams are catching up in a way. It's good to deal with adversity. It puts a bit of pressure on some of these guys that need to learn how to win when the stakes are higher. Plus there is a ton of season left.

I'm not worried because of a few simple reasons.

Are we better than Buffalo... Yes
Are we better than Boston... Yes
Are we better than Montreal... Yes
Are we better than the ****ing Islanders.... Yes

Let's not all panic. We'll be fine.

The talent is there.... the work ethic is what isn't always there 100 % yet.

You can't teach talent.

Andy is probably back Thursday
.. and like him or not sounds like Hyman may be too. I'm glad he will be. You can't ever question his work ethic. . and I don't know about everyone else but work ethic is contagious. If the guy beside me is working hard you're damn right I will be too.

Looking forward to crushing Jersey. No reason we can't.
Nice post :thumbu:...cheers.

Reactions: Burnie97

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Anyone know when Freddy is returning?

9Za0cwg.png
That's great news. I hope he's in Saturday. My older bro won 2 tickets right behind the Boston bench at work couple weeks ago. First Leafs game this season. Should be fantastic! Hope they have a great game!

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That's great news. I hope he's in Saturday. My older bro won 2 tickets right behind the Boston bench at work couple weeks ago. First Leafs game this season. Should be fantastic! Hope they have a great game!

FWIW, Babcock said he thinks Monday.

So we still don't know :laugh:

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Why the hell is Nylander off of Matthews line, he and Matthews were easily the best line last game.

So stupid. I blame the media, a they do is complain and try to drive him outta town.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm actually kind of happy to see Hyman back. Fast recovery.

Not a fan of the lines, but especially Nylander with Kadri.

Kadri's line has been bad all year... no one has really produced on that line. Our 4th line with Leivo, Ennis, and Goat looked better than Kadri's line on most nights.

And Nylander and Kadri play completely different styles too.

I would just switch Nylander and Hyman and see how that goes. We're not paying Nylander $7 million a year to be a 3rd line winger.

Lindholm also sucks pretty bad. Not an NHL player IMO. Would much rather Moore, Goat, and Ennis.

edit: and I know Ennis is injured and Goat is playing... I just meant that I have those three players ranked above Lindholm IMO.

Someone doesn't realize that the 4th line plays against the dregs of the league, while managing a whole half the points in comparison to our team's 3rd line as it is. Do this person actually think our 4th liners would hold their own against the players Kadri's line plays against?

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Can't say I agree with these line changes.

Johnsson/Matthews/Nylander looked fantastic for most of the game against the best defensive team in the league so of course that was broken up.

Once again Matthews and Marner will have zero time together. I wonder how many other teams split up their two best offensive players on different PP units.

Probably last about one period if this stinks.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Gardiner always hits matthews, it will be much better.
Gardiner and Matthews play together a ton at even strength and seemed good on the PP last year so it is worth a try.

Kadri and JT will probably get used more on the 1a/b unit while Matthews will be the main shot option + more creative input on the other unit.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander and Kadri still don't work together at all. no point trying it
We will just have to get used to it dude. Babcock's stubborness is his downfall. He thinks he can make things work when they clearly will never (Hyman is trash in the top 6 and Nylander-Kadri has never worked). Until he's going, we will never see the full potential of this team's offence.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We will just have to get used to it dude. Babcock's stubborness is his downfall. He thinks he can make things work when they clearly will never (Hyman is trash in the top 6 and Nylander-Kadri has never worked). Until he's going, we will never see the full potential of this team's offence.
Didn't Kadri play mostly with Kap the last few games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad