Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Devils, Jan 10 - 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Leafs record post christmas break: (also since freddy went down) or last 5 games

GP 5
W 2
L 3
OTL N/A

Hyman expected to be back next game; given he had a lower body injury; where should Hyman slot in the line up as it may take him a bit of time to get going?

What are people's expectation now from Nylander? He has played 14 games now and has 3pts and a goal with -2 rating. Does he still has time before he finds his game or this has been enough time?

Leafs and Boston have played 42 games; leafs have home ice advantage for now - but 4 points separate them

How can this team improve its defensive structure? Or Do you think this team does not have defensive issues?

The PP has been a failure in the last month or so (when we get it);

what do the Leafs have to do to show improvement against the Devils?

In the last 10 games:
Leafs are 6-3-1
Devils 5-5-0

Sep 18, 2009
wish the leafs had some real playas like gary roberts instead we have these pesky kids

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Hyman expected to be back next game; given he had a lower body injury; where should Hyman slot in the line up as it may take him a bit of time to get going?

I think we all know where babcock will put him

Change up the PP. Kadri hasn't been effective. Has Kap been used at all?
There's definitely defensive issues - how much of that is on their systems, I don't know.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

There's definitely defensive issues - how much of that is on their systems, I don't know.

yup kadri should be moved from the 1st PP unit. Personally I would like to use matthews and nylander in one-time positions where they can make plays or shoot one-timers

pretty much every team in the league does that

Caps:
LW- Ovi
RW - Backstrom/Kuznetsov

Bolts:
LW - Stamkos
RW - Kucherov

Pens:
LW: Kessel
RW: Crosby/Malkin

Nucks:
LW: Boeser
RW: Petterson

Bruins:
LW: Pastrnak
RW: Marchand

Sabres:
LW: Eichel
RW: Skinner

etc....

Note: On PP guys playing on LW shoot right and guys playing on RW shoot left and all of them have good shots and one timer

now....

Leafs do the opposite WHY? :huh:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I say go back to 1A and 1B PP units

Tavares
Kapanen-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Marleau
Matthews-Johnsson-Nylnader
Gardiner

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Hyman will be back with tavares and marner, everytime he plays ice hockey period. :biglaugh:
That's our most mui importantte line playoffs time. Even now. They do it all, that D dirt and all. Hyman one of our most importantte.

Return of Andersen happening also eh? Interesting.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

Glad the man we all know we talking bout is comin back and making that defensive issue even better. We the best like khaled.

member 262271

Absolutely this team needs to improve it's defensive structure IMO, it's easy to forget that when you have such elite offense. I'd honestly like to see Marincin slot in again, feels weird saying it but there it is. Ozzy has been not great some nights and good to okay on others, ideally I'd like to see Hainsey moved down or given some rest but that'll be never happen, his handedness on trying to move the puck out of the zone on the right side is constantly an ordeal.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
People saying defense but the team has been shutout twice in their last 4 games. It's our forwards who have been failing us. Honestly not everyone but a lot of the team looks like they bought their hype and it's pissing me off.

Tampa just keeps improving you'd think they'd be hungry this year with two first round exits in a row. However a lot of our forwards outside of JT and Marner are guilty for a lack of urgency in their game. One of them being fresh off a contract extension and the other reportedly wanting McDavid money.

So many goals it's the forwards not closing the gaps, not getting back. Last game against Nashville really showed the difference. The Leafs forwards looked like they were waiting for a pass to try and score off the rush. Meanwhile Nashville's forwards were patient and dropped back, supported their defense, got into the dirty areas, and did a lot of stuff our forwards cannot do.

And to top it off, the team has been figured out. We see the same song and dance. They can dominate teams without structure but as soon as they face a good team they clog the middle of the ice and the team can't do anything. Babcock needs to adjust badly.

If these things don't happen it will be another first round exit.

member 262271

People saying defense but the team has been shutout twice in their last 4 games. It's our forwards who have been failing us. Honestly not everyone but a lot of the team looks like they bought their hype and it's pissing me off.

Tampa just keeps improving you'd think they'd be hungry this year with two first round exits in a row. However a lot of our forwards outside of JT and Marner are guilty for a lack of urgency in their game. One of them being fresh off a contract extension and the other reportedly wanting McDavid money.

So many goals it's the forwards not closing the gaps, not getting back. Last game against Nashville really showed the difference. The Leafs forwards looked like they were waiting for a pass to try and score off the rush. Meanwhile Nashville's forwards were patient and dropped back, supported their defense, got into the dirty areas, and did a lot of stuff our forwards cannot do.

And to top it off, the team has been figured out. We see the same song and dance. They can dominate teams without structure but as soon as they face a good team they clog the middle of the ice and the team can't do anything. Babcock needs to adjust badly.

If these things don't happen it will be another first round exit.
I don't disagree with a lot of this, not mentioning our forwards was an oversight on my part. The comparison with Tampa needs to cease though, we aren't in their league.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't disagree with a lot of this, not mentioning our forwards was an oversight on my part. The comparison with Tampa needs to cease though, we aren't in their league.

That wasn't my point. Tampa wasn't in their league two years ago. But they weren't happy with where they were. And they improved. They lost in the playoffs and fought back and improved.

The Leafs, despite their record, are getting by on talent and don't look like they've learned a single lesson. The same exact things are happening. No full 60 minutes of effort, lack of urgency in a lot of their games, a stretch pass system that is exploited by pressuring the right side, getting up by a few goals and using left wing lock the rest of the game preventing the Leafs from using their speed.

The book is out. Now even the PP is figured out. The PK has regressed. They are heading for another early playoff exit this year. And to me, the lack of adapting with the high pay of the coaches and these rumored future pay of our best players is not acceptable to any club who wants to actually win.

Next year the team is going to be even worse. Gardiner is gone, Dermott has struggled. Is he going to be ready for a top 4 role? Maybe, but he might struggle. Rosen is a downgrade to Dermott on the third pair. They need a partner for Rielly and maybe that is Dermott but if not, who else is going to be there? Oz? Zaitsev might have to get moved for cap space, who is the best guy there, Oz?

Not saying to go all in by any means but this team does not have another gear they can go in and out of at will like a lot of experienced teams. They should be working to find that gear. Despite 2 seasons of preaching that the team has still shown to be happy beating worse teams with their skill and putting in a decent effort against good teams.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
They should just reunite Hyman Matthews Nylander and hope they can reignite their chemistry from the previous 2 years IMO. Get them going again and Johnsson-Marner-Tavares on another line and that's a pretty deadly 1-2 punch.

member 262271

That wasn't my point. Tampa wasn't in their league two years ago. But they weren't happy with where they were. And they improved. They lost in the playoffs and fought back and improved.

The Leafs, despite their record, are getting by on talent and don't look like they've learned a single lesson. The same exact things are happening. No full 60 minutes of effort, lack of urgency in a lot of their games, a stretch pass system that is exploited by pressuring the right side, getting up by a few goals and using left wing lock the rest of the game preventing the Leafs from using their speed.

The book is out. Now even the PP is figured out. The PK has regressed. They are heading for another early playoff exit this year. And to me, the lack of adapting with the high pay of the coaches and these rumored future pay of our best players is not acceptable to any club who wants to actually win.

Next year the team is going to be even worse. Gardiner is gone, Dermott has struggled. Is he going to be ready for a top 4 role? Maybe, but he might struggle. Rosen is a downgrade to Dermott on the third pair. They need a partner for Rielly and maybe that is Dermott but if not, who else is going to be there? Oz? Zaitsev might have to get moved for cap space, who is the best guy there, Oz?

Not saying to go all in by any means but this team does not have another gear they can go in and out of at will like a lot of experienced teams. They should be working to find that gear. Despite 2 seasons of preaching that the team has still shown to be happy beating worse teams with their skill and putting in a decent effort against good teams.
Im not really a fan of their efforts against the weaker teams honestly, until recently it seemed that the stronger the opponent the more they showed up. Something is definitely up though, because if you have two eyes you see the same stuff being thrown at the wall. I'm not ready to say they aren't learning but it's becoming a bit of a question in my mind sometimes.

member 262271

Either way, I hope for a bounce back, they've certainly owned the Devils this year. GLG!

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Need a bounce back game...take the frustration out on the Devils.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
So we don'ts have andy back yet for this ese? I think we will need him for the weekend holmes.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I expect a blow out victory but with the Sabres doing just that to them tonight I’ve learned to not expect anything. Could be a blow out victory, could be a tight win, could be a 4-2 loss.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-JT-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kap
Lindholm-Gauthier-Brown

Hopefully putting Johnsson with Kadri and Kap can get that line going and we end up with 3 lines that are scoring.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’d really like to see us adjust the defensive pairings soon so we have a month or so before trade talks really kick into gear.

Rielly - Dermott
Gardiner - Hainsey
Marincin - Zaitsev

I’d look at something like this. Give Hainsey and Zaitsev easier minutes. Especially Zaitsev. He starts a boatload in the neutral and defensive zones and he’s simply not that guy. He’s been better lately, but he’s not in a position to be successful really. He needs easier SZR, especially if we want to try and move him this summer.

Marincin is probably better than Oz, and that’s nothing against Oz, but Marincin has looked great the few games he’s played and the numbers support it. Marincin is able to defend and move the puck, and in a sheltered role, I think Zaitsev and Marincin can excel.

Hainsey stays in the top 4, ideally temporarily. I think we need to look for a under the radar d-man to add. Nick Jensen has been suggested previously. I also wonder whether calling up Calle Rosen would be an option, but Hainsey gets better results than Zaitsev on the ice, so hopefully he can help Gards

Dermott is the best suited partner for Rielly. I’d suggest Gardiner but it doesn’t make sense to use Rielly-Gardiner together during the season as their our best two zone exit d-man, so we need to keep them together. Dermott, while he struggled in December, looks better again lately. His results are fantastic, and it’s time to move him into the top 4 and give him more responsibility.

An issue with this team, is that teams know the Leafs rely on their LD to exit the zone, so they put all their pressure on that side, knowing Zaitsev and Hainsey are going to throw the puck away. Putting Dermott with Rielly helps prevent that, Marincin (or even Rosen) can come in and provide that movement for the 3rd pairing, and ideally a Gudas can be acquired for beside Gards to replace Hainsey and give a second option there as well.

TL;DR: I think Dermott needs to be in our top 4, and then find someone like a Jensen or Gudas to be the RD2, sit Hainsey and give Zaitsev an easier role at 5v5.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Hyman will be back with JT. I liked AJ on the line, but really he was mostly a supporting character. Brown looked okay too, pretty much did what Hyman does. Marleau looked terrible to be honest. In the end, fair to say there was no great uptick without Hyman, those two are so creative and good together, it was noticeable how the other winger, no matter, is really there to just get pucks and hustle.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Hyman will be back with JT. I liked AJ on the line, but really he was mostly a supporting character. Brown looked okay too, pretty much did what Hyman does. Marleau looked terrible to be honest. In the end, fair to say there was no great uptick without Hyman, those two are so creative and good together, it was noticeable how the other winger, no matter, is really there to just get pucks and hustle.
Marleau has been playing alright I feel.

He does not play the game like the Europeans do on this team. Marleau is an old school winger now. Up and down the wing, go to the net.

Marleau is going to look better and better as the season wears on.

That is the Leafs problem right now. Marleau, Tavares, Hyman, Kadri, sometimes Brown ... ... those are the guys who stand in front of the net. Kadri tries but he's too small get pushed out of there easily. Therefore, the team only has 3 guys who stand in front of the net. Levio used to do that, but Dubas got rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad