Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Devils, Jan 10 - 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
hopefully the pp mix up will create some new looks for the team. It simply needs to be a more consistent aspect of this teams game.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Really wish they would keep Matthews with Marner. Not like either unit is bad though, it will be much harder to match up against I suppose.

Why, Matthews and Marner playing together wasn't working. The power play was way to predictable. The only way that unit would work is if they changed the structure of it entirely to more of an overload setup instead of the umbrella, but Babs would't do that.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Jonas Siegel
@jonassiegel
Looks like the Leafs have decided to change their power play after all.
New units today:
1: Rielly/Tavares/Marner/Kadri/Kapanen
2: Gardiner/Matthews/Nylander/Johnsson/Marleau

So we've split the PP units....and I can't say I mind.

1.The PP has sucked lately
2.Babcock still doesn't lean on the stacked top unit as much as other teams lean on theirs so he was wasting the advantage their anyways.
3.Hey look Kappy gets to play on the top unit now!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
More changes to the special teams units than I'd have expected. Good to see Andersen and Hyman appear set to return.

Haha yeah, it looks like they just pulled the names out of a hat or something. Looks pretty good though, I think it's because with all the talent we have, any random combinations would look good. :)

Reactions: Buds17

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Right now, I’d take Bergeron over almost anyone on the Leafs.

At the moment, you're probably right. He has been really good.

Again in the long run... I'd take Marner or Matthews over him. That's how big I am on both of them being very good for their entire careers. . Injuries aside etc.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Why, Matthews and Marner playing together wasn't working. The power play was way to predictable. The only way that unit would work is if they changed the structure of it entirely to more of an overload setup instead of the umbrella, but Babs would't do that.

You could change the units up and still keep Matthews with Marner. I like having our best play maker with our best goal scorer. I also think Matthews should be on the top unit.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You could change the units up and still keep Matthews with Marner. I like having our best play maker with our best goal scorer. I also think Matthews should be on the top unit.

don't be surprised when the Matthews unit turns out to be the top unit, like they were before last year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
At the moment, you're probably right. He has been really good.

Again in the long run... I'd take Marner or Matthews over him. That's how big I am on both of them being very good for their entire careers. . Injuries aside etc.

In the Long run I’d take Marner Tavares Nylander and Rielly , but right now I’d take the Boston’s top line and mcAvoy.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Oh thank goodness there are some interesting changes. Been hoping they'd just blow up the top unit for a while. Those guys had more than enough chances to make that top unit work. More than enough time to give Matthews the top unit time and focus he wanted. Didn't work. Time to spread out the talent and force the skilled guys to think a bit more on the PP. And heck leads to more PP time for Kapanen too.

Kind of nice to get Hyman back in. He may fall over, not quite know what to do with the puck outside of breakaways, but darn it he works out there. He's the lunatic that will dive into those corners to try and shake the puck loose. Does suck to have Moore go though. I'd sit Lindholm and let Moore do his thing. But I get the reasoning.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Oh thank goodness there are some interesting changes. Been hoping they'd just blow up the top unit for a while. Those guys had more than enough chances to make that top unit work. More than enough time to give Matthews the top unit time and focus he wanted. Didn't work. Time to spread out the talent and force the skilled guys to think a bit more on the PP. And heck leads to more PP time for Kapanen too.

Kind of nice to get Hyman back in. He may fall over, not quite know what to do with the puck outside of breakaways, but darn it he works out there. He's the lunatic that will dive into those corners to try and shake the puck loose. Does suck to have Moore go though. I'd sit Lindholm and let Moore do his thing. But I get the reasoning.

I think he's the only one who can be sent down and not go through waivers.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Anyone know when Freddy is returning?

9Za0cwg.png

Reactions: Jozay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad