Prospect Info: Leafs Development Camp

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think we are good for now with Woll and Scott, we can skip 2 or 3 years before we take another goalie.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think we are good for now with Woll and Scott, we can skip 2 or 3 years before we take another goalie.

The Leafs may take another one next year, but only if it's a good year and the pick makes sense. It'll also likely be a 6th or 7th round pick from Europe or the NCAA with upside but may need a ton of time and development.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Good thing we only need 1 huh grumpy? inb4 "ZOMG NEVER 2 MUCH DEPTH". No pressure at all for us to draft and develop a 1g. If woll becomes one by the time we need it in 5-7 years, then great. If not, pay the 1st and get an average one, thats all you need.

Outside of the personal dig (thanks for taking such a keen interest in the nature of my mood, but I'm good, thanks), this is made more ridiculous and childish by thinking goaltending won't absolutely sewer your Cup chances. The days of Osgood sleepwalking to rings behind a juggernaut are over.

You were, in fact, in before "ZOMG NEVER 2 MUCH DEPTH", but mostly because I'm not an idiot, and the English language deserves better.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Ideally, this is how I think a goalie pipeline should be broken down:

2 NHL goalies
2 AHL goalies
1 ECHL goalie (on an AHL deal)
3 goalies in the CHL/Europe/NCAA

I expect the Marlies to add someone like Papirny to start for the Solar Bears next year (although Massa will give him a run for his money I am sure) on an AHL deal. With Woll and Scott outside of the NHL right now, the Leafs could stand to add one more guy next year. Ideally, I would look at someone from Russia given you hold their rights for a long time, and there have been a few really good goalies coming out of there recently.

However, Jordan Kooy from London really interests me as well, and I am confident there will be a lot of OA goalies taken next year because there were a lot of good undrafted goalies this year. It was a great year for goalies and thankfully we got one. Scott probably would have gone a round higher in a normal goalie draft.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Outside of the personal dig (thanks for taking such a keen interest in the nature of my mood, but I'm good, thanks), this is made more ridiculous and childish by thinking goaltending won't absolutely sewer your Cup chances. The days of Osgood sleepwalking to rings behind a juggernaut are over.

You were, in fact, in before "ZOMG NEVER 2 MUCH DEPTH", but mostly because I'm not an idiot, and the English language deserves better.

Grumpy, whats your point here? We don't need a price, we only need an average 1g, we won't even be in a position to have an 8 mill goalie over the next 10-15 years, so thats probably out of the question anyways. I'm okay with having an andersen quality goalie going forward. He's got enough talent to get us a cup. I'm sure of that.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Oh come on - we haven't seen anything as yet in Scott to suggest that he is going to be any thing significant and even Woll has just played in juniors

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Leafs may take another one next year, but only if it's a good year and the pick makes sense. It'll also likely be a 6th or 7th round pick from Europe or the NCAA with upside but may need a ton of time and development.

I don't see it happening, we have a couple good prospects, an 18 and 19-year-old, it's better to stagger the goalie picks, every 2 years unless a steal comes up.

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Grumpy, whats your point here? We don't need a price, we only need an average 1g, we won't even be in a position to have an 8 mill goalie over the next 10-15 years, so thats probably out of the question anyways. I'm okay with having an andersen quality goalie going forward. He's got enough talent to get us a cup. I'm sure of that.

You wouldn't take a Matt Murray? I would. Win 2 cups on an ELC, and save your firsts? Checkers and chess, mate.

djames

Nov 23, 2016
Oh come on - we haven't seen anything as yet in Scott to suggest that he is going to be any thing significant and even Woll has just played in juniors

Just don't read anything from this guy lol

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Oh come on - we haven't seen anything as yet in Scott to suggest that he is going to be anything significant and even Woll has just played in juniors

huh, we should continue drafting goalies yearly? ... we just drafted Scott? ...Scott and Woll are average goalies prospects? I don't get your point?

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

This^. Scott was drafted based on size and potential and we are still waiting. He has a long way to go to even be a Bibeau level prospect. I think I prefer the Andersson method of acquiring qoalies.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This^. Scott was drafted based on size and potential and we are still waiting. He has a long way to go to even be a Bibeau level prospect. I think I prefer the Andersson method of acquiring qoalies.

You've waited like 3 weeks. Come on.

And technique wise, he already looks better than Bibeau ever was. Bibeau didn't even know how to square up to a puck properly.

Scott was not great, but he was far from the biggest problem on that team. That defense looked rough and most of the forwards did very little to give them support.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
You wouldn't take a Matt Murray? I would. Win 2 cups on an ELC, and save your firsts? Checkers and chess, mate.

Grumpy... He isn't even close to a top goalie in the league... hes an average to above average starter. How many top 5 categories is he in? If Crawford can win all those cups, we shouldn't be worried. Murray has fantastic accomplishments, thats great for him, but you are looking at a very extreme example that is basically over once he gets a new contract. Murray at 3.8 vs andy at 5 really isn't going to break us either, so I don't see what the point is here.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You've waited like 3 weeks. Come on.

And technique wise, he already looks better than Bibeau ever was. Bibeau didn't even know how to square up to a puck properly.

Scott was not great, but he was far from the biggest problem on that team. That defense looked rough and most of the forwards did very little to give them support.

I thought Middleton and Liljegren were OK
Some of the other drafted defenseman were pretty rough though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I thought Middleton and Liljegren were OK
Some of the other drafted defenseman were pretty rough though

Random summer game though, rust is there for some who didn't go deep into the year or played in a U18 tournament.

IMO though RE: Goalies. Draft more. You can stagger development and decision time by going NCAA/Euro/Russian route.

CHL / Canada hasn't been producing *crazy* goalies lately. US program on the rise.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Grumpy... He isn't even close to a top goalie in the league... hes an average to above average starter. How many top 5 categories is he in? If Crawford can win all those cups, we shouldn't be worried. Murray has fantastic accomplishments, thats great for him, but you are looking at a very extreme example that is basically over once he gets a new contract. Murray at 3.8 vs andy at 5 really isn't going to break us either, so I don't see what the point is here.

Murray isn't even close to a top goalie in the league? Im done in this thread lol

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Murray isn't even close to a top goalie in the league? Im done in this thread lol

No doubt. Letting his personal distaste for me get in the way of his judgement. It's alright, I'll speak reality proudly. Murray is fantastic.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
No doubt. Letting his personal distaste for me get in the way of his judgement. It's alright, I'll speak reality proudly. Murray is fantastic.

I love matt murray... He is a winner, a champion, but not a top end goaltender. He isn't top 5 in even 1 major category. I believe his top placing is 10th in the 4 major ones (gaa, sv, wins, shutouts). It depends how you classify being elite. From a pure stats stand point he isn't a top goalie in the league by any means. That doesn't mean I don't think hes good...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad