Prospect Info: Leafs Development Camp

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's a bit funky that the Leafs would give up on Jack Walker just one year after drafting him.... i mean, i suppose he's a depth prospect, but it's still surprising they didn't even invite him to camp just one year later...

I mean, they couldn't find him a place on even the Solar Bears? That would at least provide some kind of next step security to his hockey career. Or maybe they're letting him be free to seek such opportunities from other organisations but would still consider him later in that role.

Just surprising.

Was a weird/meh pick at the time but looking back, I don't see any obvious players taken after him that I'd have rather had in his place.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think if he gets 18-22 minutes a night against men it's more beneficial then beating up on kids in the OHL plus the benefit of being in the comfort of home at age 18.

I think the following year he can make our NHL squad or can spend like half a year in the AHL.

^^^ See above :)

From the players POV he'd also make far more money playing in the SHL than the peanuts he'd be given in the CHL. Don't really see any incentive for him to play in a lesser quality league for less money.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I would have liked to see him play 30 minutes a night in the O, close to the Leafs watchful eyes.

Playing against men > Playing against kids. I dont think the leafs are going to alter a prospects development because of how close they are/arent to toronto. Good chance that playing in the OHL would instill bad habits and is obviously a massive step down from junior hockey.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
The date is when junior camps open, and unsigned players need to be returned to their teams that hold their rights. Its at that point a commitment needs to be made to sign an undrafted player to keep him further or let him go.

I don't believe that is the case either. Junior camps open in mid August typically and taking the McNiven signing as an example, he wasn't signed till the end of September. Going back a couple more years Mitchell Heard should be a name people remember, he impressed at rookie camp, came to training camp, but didn't get a contract and went back to the OHL, then the Avs drafted him in the second round the next year.

I think you're right that the opening of junior camps is the deadline for players not on a training camp roster, but as long as they are attending a teams training camp they can be signed up until they are cut from the camp.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
It's a bit funky that the Leafs would give up on Jack Walker just one year after drafting him.... i mean, i suppose he's a depth prospect, but it's still surprising they didn't even invite him to camp just one year later...

I mean, they couldn't find him a place on even the Solar Bears? That would at least provide some kind of next step security to his hockey career. Or maybe they're letting him be free to seek such opportunities from other organisations but would still consider him later in that role.

Just surprising.

He's from Minnesota. I mean its quite possible that the leafs were still interested but he opted to try and make it on his hometown team

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Just surprising.

Stephen Desrocher is already gone from 2015 and Nikita Korostelev is hanging by a thread as the deadline passed to sign him and he currently a UFA and hanging around as he has no better place to be.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Just surprising.

he will be 21 in july so yes we drafted him in 2016 but he should of been drafted 2014. They took a risk he didn't improve in the WHL they cut him lose, we have more than enough sub 6' wingers to last us a lifetime.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the video. Bobylev looks almost as big as Greenway.

:thumbu: Yep.. With the draft picks from this year, we have a whole line full of tall ones, now..
(Boby might be the only one who's not a D-man..?)

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Korshkov and Chebykin are tall ones (forwards)

Opps.. Thanks, Walshy..

But, I'm referring to the 6'6' and up ones..
(and I'm not biased, because I believe that good players come in all sizes..,
although smaller ones sometimes have to work harder, to achieve some of the same results..)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Opps.. Thanks, Walshy..

But, I'm referring to the 6'6' and up ones..
(and I'm not biased, because I believe that good players come in all sizes..,
although smaller ones sometimes have to work harder, to achieve some of the same results..)

but Bobylev is only 6'2" (according to DB? greenway is 6'4" so if they are similar height maybe bobylev grew to 6'4". I don't think we actually have any forwards 6'6" (maybe the goat?)

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
but Bobylev is only 6'2" (according to DB? greenway is 6'4" so if they are similar height maybe bobylev grew to 6'4". I don't think we actually have any forwards 6'6" (maybe the goat?)

Probably right..

I think Fehr is the tallest (if he stays), at 6'4"... with JVR & Martin at 6'3''..

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Playing against men > Playing against kids. I don't think the Leafs are going to alter a prospect's development because of how close they are/aren't to Toronto's. Good chance that playing in the OHL would instill bad habits and is obviously a massive step down from junior hockey.

Better players than him have played their draft+1 year in CHL, lol He didn't look to dominate playing against 17-year-olds in April either. go easy on the hype. He started the year in J20 and finished in Allsvenskan.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Liljegren is too good for the CHL. That would be a joke.

He needs real competition like Nylander did against men in the AHL.

is it a joke and a waste of a season for Cal Foote, Juuso Vallimaki, Cale Makar to not be playing against men next season or is Liljegren so much better than those 3?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's not going to the CHL. It's not an option.

No point in discussing it

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Just surprising.

To keep a players rights after each year you need to give them a ELC contract offer of some sort(often minimum offer I'd imagine). Given the Leafs contract situation and Walkers less than steller year they probably were too afraid he'd accept it and offering one wasn't worth the risk when the reward wasn't all that great and the chance they want to give him an ELC next year likely isn't very high either.

I heard he went to some other teams camp, and I don't believe a player can do that when another team holds his rights so they likely didn't give him an offer and thus losing his rights.

Which is fine. The pick was made hoping he'd develop and earn an ELC. He didn't but it's only a 6th round pick and you're going to miss on most of those.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
is it a joke and a waste of a season for Cal Foote, Juuso Vallimaki, Cale Makar to not be playing against men next season or is Liljegren so much better than those 3?

Maker will be playing college hockey and Foote isn't fast enough to keep up in the pros at this point.

Liljegren is an elite skater who was rated as a top 3 prospect for 12 of the last 16 months so yes I had him rated higher than those 3.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I am not liking Scott's game so far after seeing the highlights of both scrimmages. I realize he hasn't really been playing for a few months but he doesn't look very confident. He has a lot of shots squeaking through the body and he keeps looking back. He looks like he is guessing on shots and not playing his rebounds well. On some of the goals it looks like he guesses, overcommits and is watching the puck go by him. Very poor body language.

Robson looked decent

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
James Mirtle Verified account @mirtle

There's no downside to playing Liljegren with the Marlies. ELCs for 18 and 19 year olds slide if they do not play 10 NHL games.

James Mirtle Verified account @mirtle 2h2 hours ago
Leafs don't announce the financial terms. But I'm guessing Liljegren didn't get many entry level bonuses. Certainly not like Matthews.

There's no downside to playing Liljegren with the Marlies. ELCs for 18 and 19 year olds slide if they do not play 10 NHL games.

Frankie @CoachFrank18

Are the expectations on Rosen and Bergman high that 1 if not both make the Leafs next year? dont know much about them. Can Lijegren?

James Mirtle Verified account @mirtle 2h2 hours ago
More
One might make it. I bet not.

Replying to @mirtle
Could you see Liljegren on the Marlies this year?

James Mirtle Retweeted Yukon Leafs Fan
100% possible.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I am not liking Scott's game so far after seeing the highlights of both scrimmages. I realize he hasn't really been playing for a few months but he doesn't look very confident. He has a lot of shots squeaking through the body and he keeps looking back. He looks like he is guessing on shots and not playing his rebounds well. On some of the goals it looks like he guesses, overcommits and is watching the puck go by him. Very poor body language.

Robson looked decent

Not a big fan of the Scott pick. Our goalie pipeline is hot garbage outside of Woll, and has been for years.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
He's from Minnesota. I mean its quite possible that the leafs were still interested but he opted to try and make it on his hometown team

He had no say.

As long as the Leafs gave a Bonafide Offer they retained his rights. It doesn't matter if he accepted the offer or not, as long as it was tendered. The fact that he is a FA means a BO was not tendered, and the Leafs let him go.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Not a big fan of the Scott pick. Our goalie pipeline is hot garbage outside of Woll, and has been for years.

Good thing we only need 1 huh grumpy? inb4 "ZOMG NEVER 2 MUCH DEPTH". No pressure at all for us to draft and develop a 1g. If woll becomes one by the time we need it in 5-7 years, then great. If not, pay the 1st and get an average one, thats all you need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad