Prospect Info: Leafs Development Camp

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
I was surprised no thread was created about this event. Anyway, these are the non-leafs players invited to camp

Kyle Cushman @LWOSCushman
So far, my Leafs development camp count is at 5: Austen Keating, Marc-Olivier Duquette, Reagan O'Grady, Antoine Samuel and Connor Murphy

+Korostelev

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah, I was sure Desrocher would be a Marlie next season.

look at our LHD depth.
Nielsen
Dermott
Rosen
Bergman
Valiev

only one of Dermott, rosen or bergman max can take a NHL spot so that is 4 better LHD than desrocher right there and if we get a UFA like hunwick then one of the aforementioned 3 are now included and its 5 LHD dmen for 3 spots on the marlies. Then we have Holl on RHD, Campbell was captain they could resign him again (I think he is a UFA). he would be ECHL/AHL tweener at best

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
look at our LHD depth.
Nielsen
Dermott
Rosen
Bergman
Valiev

only one of Dermott, rosen or bergman max can take a NHL spot so that is 4 better LHD than desrocher right there and if we get a UFA like hunwick then one of the aforementioned 3 are now included and its 5 LHD dmen for 3 spots on the marlies. Then we have Holl on RHD, Campbell was captain they could resign him again (I think he is a UFA). he would be ECHL/AHL tweener at best

Once again, and this be stickied or something, Valiev is purely a RD. He does shoot left, but you might as well consider him shooting right, because he does not play LD. Hasn't for a while now apparently. So it's Nielsen and two of the other three. Desrocher would fit perfectly as the 4th as a 7D. I really liked him as a player, and I hope that somehow we can get him back if he does not get an NHL deal from Columbus or elsewhere.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Add Jakob Stridsberg

More LHD depth I guess. A lot of this is the Marlies scouting down the line for AHL deals. A bunch of CHLers got their AHL deals from us like that.

Also a good way of judging how our guys stack up against good guys who were tossed aside. Rare that these camp fillers get ELC's out of it, but Moore did last year. Donaghey did two years ago. Maybe 3 for 3? Korostelev would be my bet. Or Keating if his skating improves. The rest would probably find themselves at the bottom of our pool and as ECHL development chips once they get to that point.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Once again, and this be stickied or something, Valiev is purely a RD. He does shoot left, but you might as well consider him shooting right, because he does not play LD. Hasn't for a while now apparently. So it's Nielsen and two of the other three. Desrocher would fit perfectly as the 4th as a 7D. I really liked him as a player, and I hope that somehow we can get him back if he does not get an NHL deal from Columbus or elsewhere.

I could see Desrocher having to work his way onto the Marlies via Orlando, like Brouillard. I would like Korostelev on an AHL contract and see how that works out.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Camp is taking place July 7th, Hunter mentioned it in an interview, but no actual report of it I believe.

Was looking for a thread regarding this and didn't find one either haha

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Pretty sure he's at the Blue Jackets camp.

200.gif

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Koro is the only name i recognize. Are we looking at a lot of undrafted players looking for AHL contracts?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

ok chill man, you havent told me this before so its not like im ignoring you. The marlies have been short RHD for years so he was chosen to go the RH side thats fine,

Desrocher is gone man he is likely a nothing player anyway and if he is oh well we missed a low end dman

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Desrocher would fit perfectly as the 4th as a 7D. I really liked him as a player,

What was it you liked about him as a player? I was really high on him at the position we drafted him at and then saw a guy during multiple games vs . the IceDogs who not very impressive at all.

I'm not surprised he was not offered anything.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
ok chill man, you havent told me this before so its not like im ignoring you. The marlies have been short RHD for years so he was chosen to go the RH side thats fine,

Desrocher is gone man he is likely a nothing player anyway and if he is oh well we missed a low end dman

I did not mean to sound annoyed with you. Sorry about that.

It was more of a generalized statement. Valiev being a RD needs to be stickied, because I guess not many people watch the Marlies or they assume that LHD=LD, even though guys like Jordan Leopold always played on the RD despite being LHD.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What was it you liked about him as a player? I was really high on him at the position we drafted him at and then saw a guy during multiple games vs . the IceDogs who not very impressive at all.

I'm not surprised he was not offered anything.

From the times I watched him, he seemed like a really strong shut down defenseman, but with the type of puck moving/offensive qualities that could be good enough for the NHL some day. Good leader too, considering how far he got Kingston compared to their quality of team.

I saw things that would make him worth at least an AHL deal, and potentially more if he impressed with the Marlies. Also, with the Marlies not having a ton of good defensive depth, having someone like Desrocher there would probably help a lot. At the very least, I saw him as someone who could operate like Andrew Campbell, if he never made the NHL full time, which in itself is quite valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad