Post-Game Talk: Leafs def. Canucks - 3-1 (Pettersson)

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
This division is so weird. Hard to gage how bad we are (We are definitely bad); but also how good a team like Toronto/Montreal/Calgary is.

It seems like the Leafs have shored up their D and their forward group looks like it is gelling.....but is it or are they just getting to play shitty teams like Ottawa and Vancouver a ton.

Leafs are good. Not Tampa / Boston good but them and Montreal are very good.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
They weren't bad tonight. A bounce here or there and they're up and maybe it's a different finish. But you could see that when Toronto turned it up and come in waves they were still flat-footed. There is just an inability to break up plays in the neutral zone, and then they chase and give up chances.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Better effort but team predictably ran out of gas in the third.

Good

Hoglander - a rookie has been about the only player you can identify as good every game. Points to how some the so called leaders are suffering thru real bad seasons

Bailey - provided a spark and unlucky not to score. Deserves further looks given his work rate in this game

Gaudette - best game in a long time. His puck pursuit was admiral and was important in tying up Toronto in their end. Hopefully the Canucks can get it through their heads that this is the role Gaudette has to play. He is at best a forechecking winger who needs to bring pressure and can poach for goals. He is not a center type player that can control the play or play smart controlled defense.

Bad

Horvat - one of the under reported stories is how bad Horvat has been. Skating like an old man. Is reacting late and hasn't enough jump to get to the puck in the defensive or offensive end. One result is that he can't get the puck out of his end. Thus the defense is left trying to do this and ends up getting the blame when it is often Horvat who should be able to skate the puck out or Horvat who should be picking up people around the net. He is also dead weight on the PP and unable to get space or again get to loose pucks. Is getting a ton of ice time but nothing is happening 5 on 5 (except for bad things) when he is out. Lastly he is absolutely unable to take advantage of the work Hoglander is doing.

Virtanen - thought he was okay in the first and was positionally pretty good. But then his concentration disappeared and he began to make bad passes and got standing around. Any semblance of offense seems gone and he should probably go back to the press box. Virtanen has become just more dead cap space and we have another year of that.

Miller - not as bad as the other night but remains out of sync with others and prone to big gaffes. Play is way too sloppy.

Boeser - poor game. Was in a position to make important plays but flubbed one after another. Has his problems against good skating teams.

Others

Joulevi - like that he was more assertive. Was pressing the play some in the offensive end at times. At this point looks like the better option than Chatfield. HOwever, wasn't long ago when the opposite was true.

Holtby - second best goaltender in this game.

Hughes - overall better and made some excellent passes to create scoring chances. Lot better getting the puck out. But then makes a critical turnover leading to a goal. At present way, this is happening far too much.

Benn - Toronto has too much speed for him. Probably say that most any team in the League has too much speed for Benn. Thank God he is gone this season. But then again Benning might bring him back on a long term deal (kidding...... I hope)

Time to get the brown bags out. Probably be wise to get some that have extended use capability.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Horvat - one of the under reported stories is how bad Horvat has been. Skating like an old man. Is reacting late and hasn't enough jump to get to the puck in the defensive or offensive end. One result is that he can't get the puck out of his end. Thus the defense is left trying to do this and ends up getting the blame when it is often Horvat who should be able to skate the puck out or Horvat who should be picking up people around the net. He is also dead weight on the PP and unable to get space or again get to loose pucks. Is getting a ton of ice time but nothing is happening 5 on 5 (except for bad things) when he is out. Lastly he is absolutely unable to take advantage of the work Hoglander is doing.

I'm glad someone's not afraid to say it.

Lets face it, for a captain, he's pretty terrible at providing a spark for his team. No physical play, no defensive play, no emotion.

Reactions: Hyzer

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
i gotta know what that was. who was the player?

I think it was Nate Schmidt. I actually went back and watched the shift, it was Roussel/Beagle/Virtanen in the offensive end and then Nate Schmidt and Edler on D. Nate Schmidt almost had a turnover in our end with 5 seconds left? I dont know

Sutter almost got hit in the face with the puck on the shift he just got off of maybe?

Reactions: CanuckCity

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Well the team has a pretty advantageous month ahead after they get home. 2 days off finally. they will not sleep in their own beds only twice over the next month.

Only back to back in that stretch is that 2 game trip in Winnipeg.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Jake Virtanen in 2021. If the rumors are true and he's being shopped, hopefully the pro scouts weren't paying attention.

I honestly hope other GMs out there listen to the crap that the Sportsnet/TSN/CBC throw out there. Anthony Stewart goes and says lots of teams would be interested in Virtanen because he's "big, fast, and skilled". Clearly he doesn't pay attention to the team.

It was like when they feeding the masses that Gudbranson is a "steady, tough" veteran. That turned out well for us, so hopefully more idiot GMs buy what they are selling.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I had a choice, watch the first live game since last week, or continue watching old episode of MonsterQuest on Amazon in the back ground. semi-ironically.

I chose the Canucks. I chose wrong.

If the first two periods were played "pretty well" or "better then the last few" we deserve how we've been blasted on the score sheet. The Leafs were taking it easy on us. They only dressed 11 forwards. They were funning us, and we still lost, because we are not a threat.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I honestly hope other GMs out there listen to the crap that the Sportsnet/TSN/CBC throw out there. Anthony Stewart goes and says lots of teams would be interested in Virtanen because he's "big, fast, and skilled". Clearly he doesn't pay attention to the team.

It was like when they feeding the masses that Gudbranson is a "steady, tough" veteran. That turned out well for us, so hopefully more idiot GMs buy what they are selling.

Anthony Stewart is painful to watch. His “analysis” of hockey and players is awful. Watching him try to tell Kevin Bieksa how it is, or how Bieksa is wrong on something, and Bieksa summarily batting him aside is one of the few joys I get watching the HNIC panel.

I’ll grant that Stewart has natural charisma and public speaking ability. But he’s not a good analyst of the game.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Look at the icetime for the leafs stars vs Canucks stars in a must win game vs a team that's 1st in the division

Look at which line Green sent in response to the 2-1

Look at who Green had on the 6on4

This bum cannot be fired fast enough

This is trash.

Have you seen the schedule? you want to beat the crap out of our good players?

I don't think you can fault green that there's about 5 players green can trust to do their jobs on the ice.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad