Post-Game Talk: Leafs def. Canucks - 3-1 (Pettersson)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
And he still got walked like he wasn’t there multiple times.

Team needs better players than Juolevi.

Not disagreeing but the 7th defenceman is not the problem on the blueline. Honestly, if it were up to me he would have been traded years ago for an actual return.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He wasn't wrong either. I thought Juolevi looked fine. In a better roster construction, they'd be easily able to rotate between Juolevi and Chatfield.
Even though Hamonic looked very hit and miss, I'd like to see him back in the lineup...
While OJ isnt as fleet of foot as Chatfield, he seems to make smarter decisions..Chatfeild was badly exposed against the Leafs (not that he was getting much support).

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Given that each game is essentially worth 1.5 games due to the condensed schedule, being 6-10 is like being 9-15. This team, barring a miracle, is not making the playoffs.

Time to start selling off guys like Pearson/Virtanen for picks and restock the pipeline. The moves they made in the summer f***ed any chances they had of reaching contender status this season.

Reactions: Kreator

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Random Player Specific Game Thoughts:

Juolevi - Mentioned earlier, but I liked his game. More specifically I thought he had a few smart offensive plays. I still have some concerns about his defensive play as he's really slow around the edges and teams are catching on. Remind me of a another high-pick named Olli in that regard, Olli Maata. He did make a nice play on the 1-on-1, however he did setup the 1-on-1 with a poor clearing attempt. Overall it was a good outing and is an upgrade on Chatfield at this point.

Edler - Thought you had a very motivated version of Edler tonight. Looked tougher on the puck and played a stronger, physical game.

Beagle - There have been a ton of problems on the team this year, but Beagle isn't really one of them. Putting aside salary for a second, this version of Beagle is a capable 4th line center. Will be interesting if he can keep it up without Motte.

Bailey - His speed jumps out compared to how slow the rest of the team is. Before Motte went out I was hoping to see a Motte/Gaudette/Bailey line which would have the wheels to give other teams some trouble.

Roussel - At this point you really have to wonder what he brings to the team. If there's a guy that should be an under-the-radar trade candidate, it's him. Getting that contract off the books for next year should be a massive priority for this team right now which will open up a spot for someone like Podkolzin in the bottom six.

----

What you're really seeing this year is exactly what "replacement level" means in the bottom six forward group and the bottom of the D. Not much difference on D between guys like Myers, Juolevi, and Benn. If you've been asleep for a week you can throw Chatfield in that group too. Not much difference up front between guys like Roussel, Bailey, Eriksson, Gaudette, Virtanen, MacEwen. All bring some different things but you can name a couple pros and a few cons for each guy and none of them should have a price tag longer than 6 digits.

I enjoy your analysis - very spot on and in line with exactly what I thought.

Roussel needs to get off this team ASAP

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
And he still got walked like he wasn’t there multiple times.

Team needs better players than Juolevi.

The problem isn't Juolevi specifically, the problem is you have Juolevi-level players scattered all over the roster. The standard needs to be higher. At least with Juolevi there is the hope for upside to reach that standard, unlike other guys who are trending down.

Reactions: xtra

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Not disagreeing but the 7th defenceman is not the problem on the blueline. Honestly, if it were up to me he would have been traded years ago for an actual return.

Agreed. I also thought this was Juolevi's best game as a Canuck. He wasn't *good* though. A fringe dman having a good game for him isn't exactly the upside you're looking for after being clowned for five solid games.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Agreed. I also thought this was Juolevi's best game as a Canuck. He wasn't *good* though. A fringe dman having a good game for him isn't exactly the upside you're looking for after being clowned for five solid games.
I wonder if he can ever become a 2nd pairing guy. That would be a nice suprise thru this 7 years of garbage

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
IkAEyo6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad