Post-Game Talk: Leafs def. Canucks - 3-1 (Pettersson)

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
it's almost like this team is in dire need of a veteran defensive defenseman, and solid goalie.

add another all-around decent top six guy and maybe they could compete.

don't know how this team could ever acquire such things.
Well we could have added those things, but it would have cost you Hughes or Pettersson next year.

Reactions: 604

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I really wanna go back and see who the poster(s) that took a shot at me for saying last week before any of these games that the leafs were good and would win all 3.....I'm just too lazy too. Whoever you were, please identify yourself so I can say 'I told you so'

Thanks
JC

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
it's almost like this team is in dire need of a veteran defensive defenseman, and solid goalie.

add another all-around decent top six guy and maybe they could compete.

don't know how this team could ever acquire such things.

we had all those things las.......

oh wait...I see what you did there.

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
I really wanna go back and see who the poster(s) that took a shot at me for saying last week before any of these games that the leafs were good and would win all 3.....I'm just too lazy too. Whoever you were, please identify yourself so I can say 'I told you so'

Thanks
JC

It was me

I wouldn't say I took a shot at you, but I definitely thought they weren't going to run us over.

Reactions: I am toxic and bh53

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If you're looking for some positives in this game, it's once again Hoglander for me. This kid continues to sparkle in the offensive zone....set up a half-dozen chances for his linemates.

Suffered a facial cut after being felled with a shot, but had it stitched up and right back out there. This kid is a warrior. Some of the slick moves he makes along the boards bring you out of your seat.

Definitely the 'silver lining' in this sorry season.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I'm glad someone's not afraid to say it.

Lets face it, for a captain, he's pretty terrible at providing a spark for his team. No physical play, no defensive play, no emotion.

There are stretches were Horvat looks awesome. Then there are stretches like this where it’s difficult to notice him unless it’s something bad.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
I don't know fellas I believe in miracles!

tumblr_mmfldqsfJ51qcvraeo1_500.gif

Reactions: Paradise Circus

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
that plane ride back to vancouver will be silent and awkward as hell. garbage team. garbage performance. fire everyone!!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

WOW!

W-O-W!

W------OOOOOO---------W!!!!!!

That's just wow. This team needs a big shake-up and Virtanen won't be it, though he and few others wouldn't be missed if there is anything to be gained from it. They need a whole new outlook and only new faces in the coaching staff bringing a new system and better evaluation of the players and how they are deployed can do that. Then add new management with specific goals and a plan for how they can be met. Then the players are held to the standards necessary to meet the goals so the big plan can come to fruition. That plan is always the Stanley Cup.

New personnel at all three levels (management, coaches, and players) is the only way that ultimate goal can be achieved by the Canucks. They are SOL in all 3 areas with things as they stand at the moment. There is a core and it's smaller than many think, but the dead weight is too much to ask the core to even try to carry.

The complementary parts are supposed to support and help the core meet the ultimate goal, not drag it down or hold it back. Those pieces may easily change as new picks and prospects and the occasional magical free agent gained at a steal price because nobody would have guessed how he would gel with a certain line or D-partner replace them. Thus, it is imperative that you don't hand out long term contracts at any amount to the peripheral players. You keep fiddling with that group with the hope that you find the perfect mix.

However, one new toy in the lineup every season as Benning has done for 7 seasons running will never get you there. You have to add a depth group of prospects with actual NHL promise and when it's revealed the promise isn't there you immediately move on from there . Trades and UFAs get you guys to hold down a spot until the perfect fits fall in. You fill in slots 2 or 3 at a time every season . You don't make trades for the big missing part or two until all the other pieces are in place and then you drop the hammer and go for it.

The window for the final drive is usually a short 2-4 year span and then it's gone and you have to reload and start again. That's why the ones you see get there rarely repeat and even those that do end up in dire straits soon after, witness Chicago, LA, and Detroit. Some make that quick reload and get another like Chicago or LA. Others make a longer reload but still get there like Pittsburgh or are often knocking at the door like Boston, but it's really hard to get there and all the pieces have to fall into place at the same time.

Vancouver is not in this company as it stands and Pods and Tryamkin won't put them there either. Better? Maybe. Cup winners nope. Benning's moves this past off season has pushed the Canucks windows much farther than it might have been and his anchor contracts prevent the active roster movement necessary to keep juggling to find the right mix.

The D has to be completely rebuilt. Hughes is it for when their window will open. Schmidt might still fill a role, but it's questionable. Myers at his current level of play does not help a Stanley cup team. He would not have replaced a single top 6 Tampa D-man last season. Edler will be long gone. Juolevi and every other D-man they are using right now are not Stanley Cup D-men. Rathbone is the only unknown newbie. Benning in 7 years has not done a thing to build a depth group of prospect defenders.

Most of the Cup teams have players they have groomed on the farm. Tampa was a perfect example. A large number of the Lightning were home grown and many played in AHL Syracuse. The only Vancouver Stanley Cup possibility to have grown on the farm is Demko. MacEwen is one of those prospects I said you bring on as cheap place holders until the right pieces are found. He's it. Bailey is maybe a 4th line replacement for the cap robbers who was acquired from an NHL team who gave up on him in his 4th season and traded him to Philly who ended up sending him to AHL Lehigh Valley and he was signed the following year by the Canucks as a free agent. This year 6 for him. Stanley Cup material? Not hardly. Holds down a place until the better player is slotted in.

Who is on the farm now? Maybe Kole Lind. Not sure he make the top 6, but he scores and can skate. maybe he's one of those surprises that all of a sudden just fits in. He's it for now. Lockwood and Woo are rookies. You never know, but they are already in trouble with a 32 game season as their first development year. Rathbone and Michaelis aren't getting any better either sitting in the Vancouver cab. Losing a year of serious development is not good for any prospect. How about the picks this coming summer? Canadian Jrs are a mess. The Europeans are playing. They can be selected ,but need to be brought to North America to get this prospect thing in full swing not scattered throughout Europe instead of playing with their future mates in North America on the smaller rinks. Hogs and Petey have turned out great playing here right away. The not ready for the NHL need to be making the same advances in the AHL. No one has any idea other than stat watching and getting a scout's report that these guys are actually North America ready in terms of physicality, defensive play, skill sets to function in small rinks. We have seen Europeans fail to make a favorable impression and have returned to Europe. They need to be drafted only if they are willing to get their asses over here and start their progression. This I'll come if i can play in the NHL otherwise I go back home is BS and hockey blackmail. They have proved nothing and there is no reason they should control things.

The Canucks need big changes and sooner than later. Hughes, Petey, Bo, Boeser, Hogs, Demko (if he proves to be the one) and maybe Miller and Schmidt are the core. That's a lot of open roster spots to be filled. I'll even let you cling to the belief that Motte and Lind can cut it. That's highly questionable but maybe. That decision will have to be made pretty quick because maybe has to become absolutely or you have to move on from them. It's still a massive climb to fill in the rest of those spots to make this team Stanley Cup worthy in the core's prime.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
Looks like letting Judd Bracket go is a bigger mistake than most thought! Dim Jim should be cleaning out his office a little bit each day when he gets back. Weisbrod should the same then they could leave together. Everyone knows that Benning is a great scout but maybe we should leave it at that. Anyone who Jimmy thought was threat to him got stabbed in the back! Linden and Bracket to name two!

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
When the players that are trying to show they belong are the ones working the hardest it certainly reflects on the culture of the team.

Players that have not produced are not benched.
Players that have crap Corsi are still getting the usual playing time because there are no better options.
I want Benning gone %100
Green seems like he is playing a balancing act between keeping the team on his side and playing "Benning's guys".

The Canucks have had the hardest schedule out of any team hand's down...we get that. Green should be able to rotate through the taxi squad to keep the depth players fresh but he hasn't been able to. There is no depth. There is not a single player on the taxi squad that can replace anything but a fourth line role.

I say hire Gillis AND Burke and let them fix this crap.

Reactions: geebaan and Index

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Well the team has a pretty advantageous month ahead after they get home. 2 days off finally. they will not sleep in their own beds only twice over the next month.

Only back to back in that stretch is that 2 game trip in Winnipeg.

The fudge does this mean?everyone goes on road trips. Are you attributing travel to our record? lol. We have been completly healthy

Reactions: CherryToke

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
When your losing everything and everybody looks awful. Win a couple in a row the world looks so much better! Saying that I still believe that Benning and Weisbrod have to go! They have had too many years to turn the ship around. The lack of funds the two of them had this year is there fault. Just look at all the players we had that walked away in free agency because they over spent on bottom roster players! Seems to me Weisbrod almost destroyed the Orlando Magic in one year! How a bum like him can make a great living off of a sports franchise over and over is beyond me! You don't think that Boston didn't have a Tea Party when those two left!

Reactions: vanuck

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Holy crap is this real? Can you imagine if this wasn’t the chosen one saying this? I meant he’s not wrong but man. I don’t know what to think about this.

Considering the source I would say its not, he post stuff like this on twitter, he has a skill at making up outrageous quotes that look just about real. He is entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->