TSN: Leafs deadline wants: RHD or Power forward?

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
What's the price tag on Nick Jensen? He's not particularly offensive but is solid at shot suppression.

A bag of pucks? Maybe Jensen, Glendenning, and Mantha for Nylander and a 2nd? Gets you a shut down 4th line center that babcock loves, 'shot suppressing' 3rd pairing kind of d-man and power forward that just doesn't seem to fit in Detroit especially since Blashill and his clown compatriots use the guy as net front on the PP for some bizarre reason.

Gets Detroit some skill (which they need badly) and a right-handed winger.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
A bag of pucks? Maybe Jensen, Glendenning, and Mantha for Nylander and a 2nd? Gets you a shut down 4th line center that babcock loves, 'shot suppressing' 3rd pairing kind of d-man and power forward that just doesn't seem to fit in Detroit especially since Blashill and his clown compatriots use the guy as net front on the PP for some bizarre reason.

Gets Detroit some skill (which they need badly) and a right-handed winger.

That's a terrible return for Nylander.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
How about Kadri + Zaitsev + 1st for Dougie Hamilton + TVR

Anyone think thats close?

Nylander to centre the 3rd line, Brown to his wing, with Bracco taking his spot in the future

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017

Nylander to centre the 3rd line, Brown to his wing, with Bracco taking his spot in the future
Hamilton would get demolished by Leafs media. It would be Phaneuf 2.0.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Hamilton would get demolished by Leafs media. It would be Phaneuf 2.0.

Well that sucks but phaneuf was here at a time that we sucked and had very little talent. Hamilton could be shielded by our stars and Babcock maybe.

As for the trade itself, do you think the value is there or is it way off?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I'm a Leafs fan but I agree with this as well.

Kapanen on his own is not good enough for a #1 RHD - that should be a given. I'm not sure what Pieterangelo's contract situation is but I'm guessing if it was "quantity" we would need to give up even more than Kap + 1st + Brown/Johnsson + Zaitsev (cap dump).

Perhaps a Liljegren as well but they might need these low cap-hit guys in the future so maybe it's not a good fit.
I’ve said for a couple weeks now that if I knew Pietrangelo would re-sign I’d do Nylander, liiljren and a 1st.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
I’ve said for a couple weeks now that if I knew Pietrangelo would re-sign I’d do Nylander, liiljren and a 1st.

It seems fair from a neutral POV but we ain't neutral lol.

Pietrangelo would be 28+ which isn't terrible but in a league that's getting younger and faster, it could be a problem.

Especially if Nylander + Lil are going the other way.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
It seems fair from a neutral POV but we ain't neutral lol.

Pietrangelo would be 28+ which isn't terrible but in a league that's getting younger and faster, it could be a problem.

Especially if Nylander + Lil are going the other way.
Understandable but I think he’s the type of defenceman that won’t age for a while. He could be a great veteran D Man that they could use.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Well that sucks but phaneuf was here at a time that we sucked and had very little talent. Hamilton could be shielded by our stars and Babcock maybe.

As for the trade itself, do you think the value is there or is it way off?
I think that as it stands with Carolina also taking back Zaitsevs contract and what will probably be a late first i will say no. If u replace Kadri with Nylander than i can see it working for both teams. For the Leafs in the playoffs having Kadri as the shutdown forward is very important and if u replace him with Nylander i think it would be too redundant since ur first 2 lines already have skill and Nylander would probably not do too well in a shutdown role like Kadri. And for Carolina they would want a more high upside offensive player like Nylander instead of Kadri. I think for both teams it would work out better if u replace Kadri with Nylander. Leafs also save cap space with keeping Kadri instead of Willy.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Maybe. I am sure Mantha could get loads of points playing with Matthews too....

Uh, even if you isolate Nylander's performance to individually driven events, he's still an elite hockey player. That return you proposed is absolutely atrocious.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Not going to bring up you know who even though he's a perfect fit. How about Gudbranson retained for a pick?

Probably not a popular opinion but I wouldn't mind giving him a chance but you'd have to retain 40-50% on him to be honest. Haven't seen enough of him to know if he's good enough to crack our Top 4, even with our poor right side.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Would Nick Jensen be of any interest. I would imagine the cost would be really cheap and he has been playing really well this year. I think he would flourish in Leafs offense.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Carolina couldn’t land Nylander and now there are reports that they want Kapanen. Haha man this team just reeks of desperation. Leafs shouldn’t give him up unless it’s a massive overpayment. Dummy owner doing the media rounds in Toronto showing his cards to anyone who will look. Says he would rather lose 5-4 than 2-1. Any team with a highly skilled forward would have all the leverage. Kap for Slavin make it happen Dubas.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

That's such a big overpayment by the Leafs. Why do fans think ALL other RHD are so much better than the Leafs Dmen.. Hamilton hasn't been good this year apparently and is TVR any better than Ozhignokov.
It's the wrong time of year to get Nylander at centre. And if ever there was an injury to a centre if Kadri is traded, what Gauthier and Lindholm are now the 3rd/4th centres

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I wonder if the Blues would consider retaining on Pietrangelo?

Obviously, they don't need to retain in order to trade him, but if the Blues are rebuilding, and not going to be near the cap next year, then it could substantially increase his value.

Imagine how good the Leafs would be this year if they could add Pietrangelo, without having to subtract Zaitsev from the lineup. I'd say the group of Rielly, Pietrangelo, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Dermott and Hainsey compares quite favorably to Tampa's.

At $3.5m, the Leafs could likely keep him without losing anyone other than Gardiner, who presumably Travis Dermott could replace given the group he'd be joining in the top4.

From a blues perspective, Brown, one of Liljegren/Sandin, a 1st, and maybe an additional pick based on the Leafs success, would be one heck of a haul for him.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
That's such a big overpayment by the Leafs. Why do fans think ALL other RHD are so much better than the Leafs Dmen.. Hamilton hasn't been good this year apparently and is TVR any better than Ozhignokov.
It's the wrong time of year to get Nylander at centre. And if ever there was an injury to a centre if Kadri is traded, what Gauthier and Lindholm are now the 3rd/4th centres

Lindholm was already the 3rd line centre when Matthews was hurt.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I wonder if the Blues would consider retaining on Pietrangelo?

Obviously, they don't need to retain in order to trade him, but if the Blues are rebuilding, and not going to be near the cap next year, then it could substantially increase his value.

Imagine how good the Leafs would be this year if they could add Pietrangelo, without having to subtract Zaitsev from the lineup. I'd say the group of Rielly, Pietrangelo, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Dermott and Hainsey compares quite favorably to Tampa's.

At $3.5m, the Leafs could likely keep him without losing anyone other than Gardiner, who presumably Travis Dermott could replace given the group he'd be joining in the top4.

From a blues perspective, Brown, one of Liljegren/Sandin, a 1st, and maybe an additional pick based on the Leafs success, would be one heck of a haul for him.
You want St.Louis to retain on AP, plus accept a lowball offer? I can't imagine why the Blues wouldn't jump at that.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad