TSN: Leafs deadline wants: RHD or Power forward?

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
The Leafs need a guy to play the right side on D who can transition the puck well. If the team is going to insist on using the stretch pass as their primary means of transition, then they need to be able to ice guys on the right side that can execute it to make them more efficient in breaking out that way. Having all of your stretch passes come from one side means teams can more easily predict where that pass is coming from, and can pressure the Leafs into making worse passes from their weak side.

The Leafs could be better defensively by allowing Dermott to be the RHD on one of the top two pairings, and maybe that happens before the playoffs, but they could really use a natural RHD who can transition the puck. Its way to easy to create a game plan and forcheck against a team that is basically stuck moving the puck from the same side on every shift, because they don't even really need to pay attention to who's on the ice, it's always the same. Force the right side to move the puck, and you create a lot of turn overs.

This won't fix all of the Leafs problems defensively, but even one Right Side option will not only make them harder to forcheck, it will likely create an easier time for the left side D as teams can't zero in on them as much.

The Leafs will never be a juggernaut in their own end, but they are a team you can expect to finish on a higher number of their good chances than most, and they do focus on taking away cross seam passes decently, if they can now get their transition game going so they can just spend less time in their own end, they will be a terrifying team to deal with.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The main upcoming problem for Toronto is the fact that both Hainsey and Gardiner are likely gone next season...so that leaves:
Rielly/???
???/Zaitsev
Dermott/Oz

Unless folks think that both Liljegren and sandin are making the full time jump next season....something has to give.
I think the Leafs will do some tinkering,they have the depth ...But it wont be a move that will likely be done at the TDL ...I think they make a run with more or less this lineup ,and then decide

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
And that makes sense.

I just think most would agree that multiple teams would bid on Simmonds to add him for a playoff run. Especially when Philly can retail 50% so Simmonds would only be 2 million...so lots of teams can afford that.

Personally, if I am the Leafs, I keep both Kap and 1st and see if they can be bundled to get that higher end RHD. They may look at Kap and because of his breakout, also means his cap hit is going up next year vs what it was going to originally be. Too much talent...lol...costs more money. Sad but true.

There is no question in my mind, that the Leafs cannot afford both Nylander AND Kapanen next year. Who spends $18-20 million on three RW's?

Can Simmonds play LW?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The leafs still have a big move or two they can and will likely make ....I just dont see the player available just yet that would make them do it

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There is no question in my mind, that the Leafs cannot afford both Nylander AND Kapanen next year. Who spends $18-20 million on three RW's?

Can Simmonds play LW?
They have never used him there since anytime they wanted that kind of switch, they had LH Voracek to move over and even Konecny has moved over for a short period of time when injuries occurred.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
I love the infatuation with needing a big physical defensive minded D (who is actually good) for the Leafs.

Forget who is available, really, who even exists that fits that mold?

There are a handful that come to mind like Manson, Weber, Trouba, Byfuglien fit in the good column, Larsson, Gudas are the only ones that come to mind that I would say are decent.

Realistically only Winnipeg amoung contenders really has that heavy hitting brand of D, and both of them are more hybrid types that can still skate. The rest of the available ones don't really play for strong teams, and the best defensive teams in the NHL (Nashville, Carolina, Vegas, Calgary) don't really have anyone that fits that mold.

So I don't really get how it's a need. It would be great if you can nab one, but I think given the fact that the Leafs need a good RHD who can play top 4 minutes and make an outlet pass to save their life and won't interfere too much next years' cap situation, further restricting that requirement to include big physical, hard hitting D is like finding a unicorn and deciding it doesn't have the correct level of sparkle on it's horn.

Reactions: I am I

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They have never used him there since anytime they wanted that kind of switch, they had LH Voracek to move over and even Konecny has moved over for a short period of time when injuries occurred.

Right now, with Nylander, Marner and Kap playing RW.....that's tough taking on another RW... unless one goes out in a deal, whether it is this deal, or another. As a LW, there is probably more value there for the Leafs. I think that Simmonds can command more as a UFA, than the Leafs can pay him, though I'd love for him to stay with the Leafs, if they made a deal. Not sure he'd have any interest in taking a hometown discount, nor is there any real reason why he should

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I think Berube tried him on Giroux's left wing for a little bit, few games at most - but it didnt go well.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Right now, with Nylander, Marner and Kap playing RW.....that's tough taking on another RW... unless one goes out in a deal, whether it is this deal, or another. As a LW, there is probably more value there for the Leafs. I think that Simmonds can command more as a UFA, than the Leafs can pay him, though I'd love for him to stay with the Leafs, if they made a deal. Not sure he'd have any interest in taking a hometown discount, nor is there any real reason why he should
Oh I think if the Leafs went after Simmonds, it's as a rental only.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Even if its just one year, Marner - Nylander - Kapanen - Simmonds is just ridiculous RW depth.
They'd probably flip Kapanen or Simmonds to LW and run with the below wing depth in whatever order they want:

LW - Johnsson, Hyman, Simmonds/Kapanen, Marleau
RW - Marner, Nylander, Kapanen/Simmonds, Brown

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
They'd probably flip Kapanen or Simmonds to LW and run with the below wing depth in whatever order they want:

LW - Johnsson, Hyman, Simmonds/Kapanen, Marleau
RW - Marner, Nylander, Kapanen/Simmonds, Brown

I dont think youd like Simmonds on the LW. But then again, in a 4th line role, im not sure it would matter.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The Leafs should call up Anaheim and ask about Welinski. He's not going to cost much, so you're not losing a lot, but he has the possibility of sticking around if given the chance to. Low risk, high reward.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Just waiting for the so called flurry of trades before the Christmas roster freeze. Was reported we may see more than usual action. Teams involved I think will be St Louis, LA, Carolina, Philly and possibly Toronto.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Unfortunately it makes most sense to trade Kapenen or Johnsson for RHD help. I'd prefer to keep Kap over John but feel like other teams would feel the same

Also curious I'd Dubas will go for a lesser RHD kind of lesser light vs say a Parakyo or Pieterangelo. Would anyone feel like it's a bandaid fix if he did so?

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
He is good but not good enough as a main piece for a top pairing rhd. Sorry truth hurts.

I'm a Leafs fan but I agree with this as well.

Kapanen on his own is not good enough for a #1 RHD - that should be a given. I'm not sure what Pieterangelo's contract situation is but I'm guessing if it was "quantity" we would need to give up even more than Kap + 1st + Brown/Johnsson + Zaitsev (cap dump).

Perhaps a Liljegren as well but they might need these low cap-hit guys in the future so maybe it's not a good fit.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is good but not good enough as a main piece for a top pairing rhd. Sorry truth hurts.
The issue with Pietrangelo, and the reason he probably isn't traded is he controls the market on where he goes because he has a full NTC. Plus, he is a year and a half rental (similar to McDonagh). Rarely do teams get the return they want in these cases (see Kessel, Heatley, and Rick Nash). It is why pieces like Tarasenko and Parayko who don't have these restrictions are more likely to move.

Last edited:

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
With whats happening in st louis i find it hard to believe one of petro or CP wont be a leaf. Id be shocked if we dont outbid everyone else,we have the picks,prospects to get a deal done. If it does not happen its because those two stay put or some team losses their mind.(pwned)

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Unfortunately it makes most sense to trade Kapenen or Johnsson for RHD help. I'd prefer to keep Kap over John but feel like other teams would feel the same

Also curious I'd Dubas will go for a lesser RHD kind of lesser light vs say a Parakyo or Pieterangelo. Would anyone feel like it's a bandaid fix if he did so?

The trade value model I'm currently working on has the following as RD comparables for Kapanen:

FLA Mark Pysyk
DAL Julius Honka
ANA Brandon Montour

and Johnsson:

STL Jordan Schmaltz
FLA Alex Petrovic
TB Anton Stralman (Rental)

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
The trade value model I'm currently working on has the following as RD comparables for Kapanen:

FLA Mark Pysyk
DAL Julius Honka
ANA Brandon Montour

and Johnsson:

STL Jordan Schmaltz
FLA Alex Petrovic
TB Anton Stralman (Rental)
Can you share the model?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad