Leafs D corp not that bad

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Listen to his video.

Steve Dangle excited about Tavares, and reacts to Leafs D core.

I don't know if I want to with that hideous youtube thumbnail.

I cannot stand Zaitsev. Hainsey I am a bit more forgiving, but he does not belong on a top pairing.

The future is bright, so that will get me through this year.

member 262271

I cant believe as a Leafs fan you actually would agree with that video.
Listen to his video of whining exaggerating craziness.
It's stuff like this why I don't enjoy listening to anything related to the major networks, drop the outrage to draw listeners in Sid, it's very transparent.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Those in the bandwagon stating the defense is ok,or average, or even above above average; are you watching tonight?

Just wow!

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Our defense at most is average. We really have to hope Rielly can carry the load or we'll be in trouble when we have to face Boston/Tampa in the future.

Reactions: mehavecable

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
No coach in NHL history uses the F word as much as Babcock. Just sit behind the bench, how can this guy talk about good people, gudpro? How can you take a young son and get premium seats behind the bench without them being exposed to this guys conduct. Total hypocrite imo.

:laugh:

come on teeder. this is absolutely ludicrous even by your standards.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
It's not our D that's the issue, it's how it's been paired up that's the issue.

Gardiner - Rielly* (23-24 minutes)
Dermott - Zaitsev (20 minutes)
Hainsey - Ozhiganov/Carrick (16-17 minutes)

Reactions: LeafShark

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
I think Dermott playing up in the lineup (in it at all? lol), and playing Hainsey down in it will do a lot to make us "not that bad", pretty much agree with the general sentiment around here.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
It's not our D that's the issue, it's how it's been paired up that's the issue.

Gardiner - Rielly* (23-24 minutes)
Dermott - Zaitsev (20 minutes)
Hainsey - Ozhiganov/Carrick (16-17 minutes)

Yeah umm, respectfully...no.

It doesn't matter how you slice up and portion this pie, it wont turn it from cow to apple instantly.

Our super offense and excellent goaltending has provided a nice insulation around much much worse results which have little to do with pairings.

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
Not that bad but not that great. We definitely need an upgrade, whether that's through a trade or internally, but until then we'll be depending on our offense and Freddy to bail us out, which gets tougher in the playoffs.

That said, I still see this year as a rebuilding year, even if it was accelerated a bit. Keeping my expectations low until 2019-20.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Leafs have the best forward group in the league, and probably the worst defense. I do not consider Jake Gardiner to be a quality NHL defenseman. Anyone with a basic understanding of the game and a set of working eyeballs realizes what a liability he is. Plays scared, doesn’t understand situational hockey, no physical presence and wilts at big time moments (see game 7 performance -5... LOL)

I am not going to sit and argue whether Reilly is a top pairing dman. He is a player with some major limitations to his game.He is certainly not a number one.

Dermott is going to be a quality NHL dman for a long time. Some regression is expected here. It’s part of being a young NHL dman. Love the kid though, and would be a #6 right now on any serious contender.

Hainsey is a #6/7 but will be forced to play up the lineup.

Everything else is a steaming pile of garbage. Zaitsev is an AHL caliber dman on an albatross of a contract, Carrick, Holl, etc are all scrubs. The Leafs offense is going to hide a ton of flaws, but later in the season it will come undone. This defense core is a joke. If boy wonder doesn’t trade Nylander for a dman he is out of his mind.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Not that bad but not that great. We definitely need an upgrade, whether that's through a trade or internally, but until then we'll be depending on our offense and Freddy to bail us out, which gets tougher in the playoffs.

That said, I still see this year as a rebuilding year, even if it was accelerated a bit. Keeping my expectations low until 2019-20.

A rebuilding year.... lol. This team is the favorite to win the cup. Please give your head a shake. The window to win is now, while our studs are on cheap deals!!!

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Yeah umm, respectfully...no.

It doesn't matter how you slice up and portion this pie, it wont turn it from cow to apple instantly.

Our super offense and excellent goaltending has provided a nice insulation around much much worse results which have little to do with pairings.

It matters very much so. As a general rule, you should play your best players the most minutes, and then fill whatever minutes you have left with the BPA, with an allowance of 1 grinder per forward line. By putting Reilly and Zeitsev or Reilly and Gardiner together and bumping Hainsey down to the second line WHERE HE SHOULD BE, you are making a bigger net increase to the team than any decision Babcock has had to make on players on the cusp of making the team, or how the 3rd and 4th lines look. More minutes, bigger impact. It's not rocket science.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Leafs have the best forward group in the league, and probably the worst defense. I do not consider Jake Gardiner to be a quality NHL defenseman. Anyone with a basic understanding of the game and a set of working eyeballs realizes what a liability he is. Plays scared, doesn’t understand situational hockey, no physical presence and wilts at big time moments (see game 7 performance -5... LOL)

I am not going to sit and argue whether Reilly is a top pairing dman. He is a player with some major limitations to his game.He is certainly not a number one.

Dermott is going to be a quality NHL dman for a long time. Some regression is expected here. It’s part of being a young NHL dman. Love the kid though, and would be a #6 right now on any serious contender.

Hainsey is a #6/7 but will be forced to play up the lineup.

Everything else is a steaming pile of garbage. Zaitsev is an AHL caliber dman on an albatross of a contract, Carrick, Holl, etc are all scrubs. The Leafs offense is going to hide a ton of flaws, but later in the season it will come undone. This defense core is a joke. If boy wonder doesn’t trade Nylander for a dman he is out of his mind.

I'll give it a few more games to see if D improves. But YA MAN.

Gardiner is more of a winger than a D man. We need a guy that can hold the blue line, not another offensive weapon we have alot of those already.
Hainsey needs sheltering, and Zaits needs to be better.

Gardiner should be packaged with someone at the Deadline for D upgrade.

Nylander is looking more and more expendable as the roster is played out - its becoming either we have the scariest offense in the league ( with Willy ) and win by scoring 6-8 goals and just let in less - or we actually get a blue line upgrade ( trade Willy )

Hope OZ and Borg step up by midseason. Fingers crossed

Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
It matters very much so. As a general rule, you should play your best players the most minutes, and then fill whatever minutes you have left with the BPA, with an allowance of 1 grinder per forward line. By putting Reilly and Zeitsev or Reilly and Gardiner together and bumping Hainsey down to the second line WHERE HE SHOULD BE, you are making a bigger net increase to the team than any decision Babcock has had to make on players on the cusp of making the team, or how the 3rd and 4th lines look. More minutes, bigger impact. It's not rocket science.

Im really at a loss as to what you are arguing here.

I agree that it doesnt take an accounting certificate in rocket surgery to arrange you're assets in the most positive and effectual manner.

Where I will absolutely disagree is when that type of statement is made taking into account a certain level of quality which we do not currently possess. Hence why I said it doesnt matter how you slice this. We have some really high end offensive talent on our blueline with Reilly and Gardiner. But both have serious flaws in other parts of their games, one being much worse than the other. Hainsey is close to done and Zaitzev has not proven anything to warrant his position either. We have some young guys that are definitely on their way but currently are not close to the minutes or consistency we need.

The key here is consistency btw. When you cant consistently count on your defenders to clear the net, clear the puck, make a proper first pass, control the puck on the boards, pinch at the right time and not let pucks get past them then you have a problem. It's the reason why we constantly have 1 bad period, 2 good periods. It's a reason why we constantly are in the bottom third of the league in not only shots against, but scoring chances against and high danger scoring chances against.

We definitely don't have the worst defense in the league overall. It's offensive capability is very high. But its bottom 10 for sure the other way, in some cases bottom 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad