Leafs Chances of Making Playoffs (Reddit User)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Can't see the Bruins getting caught this year unless a lot of injuries occur.
Expect a Bolts v Leafs 1st round matchup. I like our team in 6 games. then to beat Boston in 6 games. Keefe knows how to coach these guys. But we need to get Keefe a couple more defensive defenders for the run. Expect a few injuries to our defense. It will happen. And we are thin.

Not likely but far from impossible. An interesting question might be what's more likely, the Leafs catching Boston or the Leafs missing the playoffs? Unless Andersen gets injured I think catching Boston is more likely myself.

Hopefully we keep rolling and before the end of Jan this thread title will be changed to "Leafs chances of catching Boston".

And then a few weeks later to "Leafs chances of staying in 1st place". :)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Not likely but far from impossible. An interesting question might be what's more likely, the Leafs catching Boston or the Leafs missing the playoffs? Unless Andersen gets injured I think catching Boston is more likely myself.

Hopefully we keep rolling and before the end of Jan this thread title will be changed to "Leafs chances of catching Boston".

And then a few weeks later to "Leafs chances of staying in 1st place". :)
I would tend to agree. But we all know that time and space reduces greatly in the dog days of winter as everyone starts to prepare for playoff hockey. I hope Keefe can figure out a way through it better than Babs did but I fear our construction will stumble a bit as games changes. That is why I said we need to get big points in December and January. December accomplished. Now we need to point heavy in January too. Give ourselves a solid 10 point lead. and then we can stumble and survive.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Weve surpassed the wildcards.

Remember a month ago when the media experts told us they were out of reach?

The media, the mainboard fans, and even most Leafs fans were basically all but ready to write the team off for the season during that last stretch under Babcock.

Kind of remarkable that we've actually had an elite team all along - Babcock was just too incompetent to unlock our strengths.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The media, the mainboard fans, and even most Leafs fans were basically all but ready to write the team off for the season during that last stretch under Babcock.

Kind of remarkable that we've actually had an elite team all along - Babcock was just too incompetent to unlock our strengths.

I did write them off under Babcock. I dont think they get it together and get in with him.

Aside from that, its utterly ridiculous to look at the standings in November and say the playoffs are set (no matter the teams in question).

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There look like 9 legit contenders for a playoff spot.

Boston.
Toronto
Tampa
Florida

Washington
Isles
Pens
Philly
Carolina.

leafs right now look like they are in a good spot. They just have beat one of Tampa/Florida.

or one of carolina. Philly/pens

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
There look like 9 legit contenders for a playoff spot.

Boston.
Toronto
Tampa
Florida

Washington
Isles
Pens
Philly
Carolina.

leafs right now look like they are in a good spot. They just have beat one of Tampa/Florida.

or one of carolina. Philly/pens
I like the thinking, but I also think it's too early to cement it like this. Someone will get hot who's below these teams, and maybe some of these will fall off. I think the cut off line will be murkier at the trade deadline than it looks now

we just need to keep playing like a contending team and we'll be fine, our pace can drop way off from where it's been since Keefe was appointed and we'll still be fine

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I did write them off under Babcock. I dont think they get it together and get in with him.

Aside from that, its utterly ridiculous to look at the standings in November and say the playoffs are set (no matter the teams in question).

Yup, I'd say that's fair. I don't even remember exactly what I was thinking at the time other then praying really hard that he'd fired. But trying to figure where we'd be now if Babcock was still the coach would be an interesting thought exercise. Not a pleasant one though so I don't recommend it to anyone. :laugh::laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would tend to agree. But we all know that time and space reduces greatly in the dog days of winter as everyone starts to prepare for playoff hockey.

I'm going to have to ponder this for a few years, lemme get back to ya. ;)

I hope Keefe can figure out a way through it better than Babs did but I fear our construction will stumble a bit as games changes. That is why I said we need to get big points in December and January. December accomplished. Now we need to point heavy in January too. Give ourselves a solid 10 point lead. and then we can stumble and survive.

Or, maybe these new Leafs tear it up in March and head into the playoffs with a full head of steam. I'm going to think positive thoughts, I love this team and I believe they can do just about anything!

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm going to have to ponder this for a few years, lemme get back to ya. ;)

Or, maybe these new Leafs tear it up in March and head into the playoffs with a full head of steam. I'm going to think positive thoughts, I love this team and I believe they can do just about anything!
I hope so but would not put my house on line with a bet. When things get tough and Barrie and Rielly start to get run into the glass and we only got Muzz to stand up for himself that's playoff hockey. It would help with 2 more monsters like Muzz back there. It keeps things real.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think the Leafs are as good as anyone right now. Under Keefe, they have 5 losses. If you take the OT loss aside. There are 4 losses. Hutch started one of them. Where as the other three, Philly, Avs and Flames. Despite the score, those three games could have gone our ways. Ofcourse there were Wins where it could have gone the other way too.
To me, they need to continue to cut down their turnovers in their own zone and just keep it simple in clearing the zone, also take less risks in the ozone. Once they find a balance and the team is fully healthy, they are as good as anyone in the league.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I hope so but would not put my house on line with a bet. When things get tough and Barrie and Rielly start to get run into the glass and we only got Muzz to stand up for himself that's playoff hockey. It would help with 2 more monsters like Muzz back there. It keeps things real.

I wouldn't bet the proverbial house either but I am feeling mighty fine the way we're playing.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Big day today.
Leafs over Isles
Sabres over Panthers
Pens over Habs
Sens over Lightning

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'm so delighted with the team's turnaround under Keefe. Who knows, maybe the glow of a new coach will wear off but I'm enjoying the shit out of this run for as long as it lasts.

I wanted Babcock gone for 2 full seasons after his schtick got old. I was furious after games 6 and 7 last year against Boston and I vowed never to watch the team again with him as coach. I got weak and caved but in my own small little world I feel vindicated. It was a mistake keeping him on into this season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Lol, Montreal and Florida both spending 10+ on a starting goalie and both might end up out of the playoffs. Hopefully Leafs are not foolish enough to offer Andy 10+ when he is a UFA.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
Lol, Montreal and Florida both spending 10+ on a starting goalie and both might end up out of the playoffs. Hopefully Leafs are not foolish enough to offer Andy 10+ when he is a UFA.

Would the leafs even be able to offer him 10+, i love freddy but if he asks for that, you have to move on, they should be looking for a goalie right now via the draft or overseas as a contingency plan, no goalie is worth more then 8 mill imo.

Price and Bob should be used as an example as to why you don't give goalies 10+ mill.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sure.

And at the same time, if Andy leaves ...

Who will be our goalie ?

I think a trade may happen if Andersen isn't willing to sign for a reasonable price

The analytics community has been huge critics of those big money goalie contracts and id presume Dubas and or the Leafs stats guys have taken note.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think a trade may happen if Andersen isn't willing to sign for a reasonable price

The analytics community has been huge critics of those big money goalie contracts and id presume Dubas and or the Leafs stats guys have taken note.

They can take all the notes they want, they have have no choice but to sign Andersen, there is NOTHING after him in the system.

Even if you believe in Woll and Scott they won't be ready in 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad