Leafs Chances of Making Playoffs (Reddit User)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
SoooManyBanelings82 points·12 hours ago

I covered this in a very rudimentary way in another thread:

The Leafs have 22 points in 22 games: exactly .500, so on pace for 82 points.

For reference, it took 95 points to secure a wildcard spot in the East in 2016-2017; 97 in 17-18, and 98 in 18-19. Babcock's model of 6 points every 5 games is a goal of 98.4 points, so let's take that as our "make the playoffs" target.

With 60 games remaining, the Leafs will have to be a .636 team for the rest of the season, starting tonight, to hit that target exactly.

Their points percentage over the last two seasons combined was .595, which misses the mark at only 93 points. However, in their best season, 17-18, they finished the year at .640, which is juuuuust enough.
So, the good news: It's possible/realistic to squeak in. And keep in mind that posting a .636 doesn't mean they have to win tonight, only that they have to win enough over the next 60. 60 games is a big stretch with room for both win and losing streaks. We are also probably making this calculation at the team's low point, towards what I hope is the end of a bad streak.

The bad news: I would say it's already unlikely that they make the playoffs. 22 games is not a fluke sample size, and while the team just got Tavares, Hyman, and Dermott back, it also just lost Marner, Kerfoot, and Moore. I just don't think they're going to repeat or exceed their best season yet starting tonight.

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
11-lafreniere,-alexis-(9).jpg

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Lafreniere is the best player in the draft, he would be as obvious a choice at 1 as Matthews was.

It's also pretty f***ing nuts the Leafs drafting around that pick is being talked about, so much fail from this team.

Our odds of making the playoffs are slim to none, I'm full on the tank of picking in the top 10.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The Leafs played at a .675 pace through the first 40 last year before tailing off so it's not like it's unheard of for this team.

We're 20 games in, kinda early to be writing off the season.
But then they struggled mightily through the next 40 when things tighten up and those playoff teams are hitting their stride. Added to the 3 point game system and it’s never to early to be good.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lafreniere is the best player in the draft, he would be as obvious a choice at 1 as Matthews was.

It's also pretty ****ing nuts the Leafs drafting around that pick is being talked about, so much fail from this team.

Our odds of making the playoffs are slim to none, I'm full on the tank of picking in the top 10.

I'm honestly not that far off from cheering on the tank.

I never thought this season would go this bad this quick.

Reactions: Cotton and mikeyz

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
This thread is so sad.
Here we were thinking this team had a solid shot at winning it all this year.
Instead we're 23 games into the season and discussing who we should draft with our first round pick (top 10 protected).
All aboard the tank train i guess? :(

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia

This took me a while, but does this guy actually mean that not making the playoffs will be good for us, because if we do we will play the Bruins and lose anyway?!? Wtf!?!

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

It's also pretty ****ing nuts the Leafs drafting around that pick is being talked about, so much fail from this team.

Hypothetically, would you entertain trading the first and taking Byfield over Laf instead?

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
We're not making the playoffs.
holy f***
we had a full decade when we had such bad teams that it was f***ing unwatchable and everything sucked
then Shanahan came in and we all thought that finally something is going in the right direction and we gonna win the Cup in the forseeable future
and right now this team SUCKS
im so disappointed
i had enough of the bad teams
i want to love this team and i want a Cup
f*** the tanking and f*** the no PO!!

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
This thread is so sad.
Here we were thinking this team had a solid shot at winning it all this year.
Instead we're 23 games into the season and discussing who we should draft with our first round pick (top 10 protected).
All aboard the tank train i guess? :(

Welcome to the tank nation!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Damn Leaf fans already thinking tank talk wtf?? Just a couple weeks ago they were contenders. Get a grip people it's a long season and the talent is there. Worry about winning one game at a time lots of hockey left. People forget where the Blues were last year and that turned out pretty good.

That was unlikely. It is not likely that the Leafs would do that. Don't forget that the Blues also changed coaches.

The Leafs don't plan on doing that right now. Talent is there but confidence is zero.

They aren't making the playoffs.

Reactions: saffronleaf

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
That was unlikely. It is not likely that the Leafs would do that. Don't forget that the Blues also changed coaches.

The Leafs don't plan on doing that right now. Talent is there but confidence is zero.

They aren't making the playoffs.
Can't give up this early but yes I agree doesn't look good at moment.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Can't give up this early but yes I agree doesn't look good at moment.

It's not early though. They have been bad for the entirety of 2019 before and after changes made to the roster and coaching staff.

The players don't seem to like Babcock.

At this point, I don't care if they make the playoffs or not. I want Babcock gone. He's not the right coach for this team. He wants to try to win 2-1 hockey games but always ends up being the team that scores the one goal.

Reactions: thunder16

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
I guess everyone’s fancy analytics from games 10-15 arent coming to fruition? Who would have thought that the eye test was telling us all the truth. This team is an unmitigated diasaster.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad