Leafs Chances of Making Playoffs (Reddit User)

Status
Not open for further replies.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Let's go Ottawa (yes I'm embarrassed saying that)

And let's go Colorado. Because Like the Avs and I want to knock Phili down a notch on the WC rankings.

Finally, Go Washington. Stick it to the broons.

Reactions: Warden of the North

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Today's score board watch and dream results:

Leafs to beat Flames
Predators to beat Sabres
Islanders to beat Panthers
Bruins to beat Lightning
Blue Jackets to beat Penguins

lots of impact games.
We could potentially end up in second place in the Atlantic tonight

Reactions: Warden of the North

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Leafs to beat Flames
Predators to beat Sabres
Bruins to beat Lightning

lots of impact games.

All possibilities as well. There isn't a huge upset there.

But almost just as good of a chance that they all go bad :(

Parity of the league in full effect.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Leafs to beat Flames
Predators to beat Sabres
Bruins to beat Lightning

lots of impact games.

We cant get to second Buffalo and Montreal have the games playrd tiebreaker. We can jump Florida and thats it.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The Leafs are totally in it:

GPppctGB
Washington Capitals32490.7660.0
Boston Bruins31460.7421.0
New York Islanders29420.7242.0
Philadelphia Flyers30390.6504.0
Carolina Hurricanes31390.6294.5
Pittsburgh Penguins31380.6135.0
Florida Panthers30350.5836.0
Tampa Bay Lightning29330.5696.5
Buffalo Sabres32360.5636.5
New York Rangers30330.5507.0
Montreal Canadiens31340.5487.0
Toronto Maple Leafs32340.5317.5
Columbus Blue Jackets30280.4679.5
Ottawa Senators31270.43510.5
New Jersey Devils30230.38312.0
Detroit Red Wings32170.26616.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bad thing about looking only at Points % is that it changes so drastically day to day / week to week / month to month.

It also changes way more drastically the earlier it is in the season.

Also, people look at it thinking that the teams above them will never go down, its too much of a fluid stat. Teams will go on losing streaks and it changes a ton, then go on winning steaks and it changes a ton.

Reactions: Auston 316

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am not really actively cheering against other teams right now. I want the Leafs to get hot and get in on their own and not back their way in. If they need help in the last 10 games or so, then my real intense scoreboard watching begins.

Reactions: Judas Tavares

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Bad thing about looking only at Points % is that it changes so drastically day to day / week to week / month to month.

Also, people look at it thinking that the teams above them will never go down, its too much of a fluid stat. Teams will go on losing streaks and it changes a ton, then go on winning steaks and it changes a ton.

The standings change (and change more dramatically early in the season) no matter how you look at them. Do people really think teams above them won't go down? Seems strange.

I've never understood the "50 games left, 3 points back but other team has 2 games in hand" lamenting. The amount that can happen in that time frame is absurd.

Not sure it's lamenting, just explaining maybe? In any case, just look at PTS% which factors in games in hand and there are no issues.

I am not really actively cheering against other teams right now. I want the Leafs to get hot and get in on their own and not back their way in. If they need help in the last 10 games or so, then my real intense scoreboard watching begins.

Yeah we're not going to back our way in anyway, it's probably going to take the "usual" amount of points. I look at the standings all the time, that's just a habit since I was a kid. Scoreboard watching though, um no. I'm with you, if it's close near the end then sure, last 10 games sounds about right.

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I believe by the end of next weekend, most of the “games in hand” will have been made up by the teams we are chasing.
We’ll have a better idea of where we sit.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The standings change (and change more dramatically early in the season) no matter how you look at them. Do people really think teams above them won't go down? Seems strange.

2 points is 2 points always.

When comparing pts % at the start of the season each game sways the percentage more then late in the season (You are dividing by a smaller number).

I'm not dismissing pts % just mentioning that using that stat alone doesn't tell you the whole story, it fluctuates too much (Especially this early).

Same argument with "odds of making playoffs". 3 game win streak makes the odds skyrocket, 3 game losing streak makes them plummet.

Jun 27, 2005

I was trying to draw attention to the games back column. We are only 3.5 games back of fourth and one game back of 8th. In baseball 3.5 games isn't much and one game is nothing.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Leafs to beat Flames
Predators to beat Sabres
Bruins to beat Lightning

lots of impact games.

At least the 2 Florida teams have tough match ups tonight. Hoping for the best.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
2 points is 2 points always.

When comparing pts % at the start of the season each game sways the percentage more then late in the season (You are dividing by a smaller number).

I'm not dismissing pts % just mentioning that using that stat alone doesn't tell you the whole story, it fluctuates too much (Especially this early).

Same argument with "odds of making playoffs". 3 game win streak makes the odds skyrocket, 3 game losing streak makes them plummet.

2 points is always 2 points, no argument from me there. But having a 2 point lead when you have one game in hand is much bigger then it is when the team chasing you has 3 games in hand (just as an example).

As far as fluctuating too much early, that's a much bigger issue when you look at just points. For example, we recently passed TB when looking at just points but by PTS% we're still behind them as we have been for some time now. That's a more accurate reflection of the situation IMO, unless you think our one more point is worth more than their 3 games in hand?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
focus only on points %. the leafs have to get up over a 96pt pace to make the playoffs.

don't expect to luck out and have the playoffs cutoff line be significantly lower than it has been in the last couple years.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Six teams competing for probably 2 spots, I think the 2 wild cards will go to the other division.

Buffalo 36 pts (32 gms played)
Montreal 36 pts (32 gms played)
Florida 35 pts (30 gms played)
Toronto 34 pts (32 gms played)
Tampa Bay 33 pts (29 gms played)
NY Rangers 33 pts (30 gms played)

3 points separates 3 teams for 2 playoff spots.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
focus only on points %. the leafs have to get up over a 96pt pace to make the playoffs.

don't expect to luck out and have the playoffs cutoff line be significantly lower than it has been in the last couple years.

no they dont... no one knows that you need. If every is playing shit maybe its 92 93 94 95.... 96 is a guess from the last 2 years.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I was trying to draw attention to the games back column. We are only 3.5 games back of fourth and one game back of 8th. In baseball 3.5 games isn't much and one game is nothing.

Oh ic.

Sorry about that, I thought you were pointing out pts % and saying they were too far back. My bad.

Reactions: 666

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
no they dont... no one knows that you need. If every is playing **** maybe its 92 93 94 95.... 96 is a guess from the last 2 years.

True enough. Anyhow it doesn't really matter whether it's 93, 96, 99 or whatever else. Right now we're 12th in the East but we're not too far out of the last playoff spot and there is a very long way to go. So focus on tonight's game and take it one day at a time.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
2 points is always 2 points, no argument from me there. But having a 2 point lead when you have one game in hand is much bigger then it is when the team chasing you has 3 games in hand (just as an example).

As far as fluctuating too much early, that's a much bigger issue when you look at just points. For example, we recently passed TB when looking at just points but by PTS% we're still behind them as we have been for some time now. That's a more accurate reflection of the situation IMO, unless you think our one more point is worth more than their 3 games in hand?

My point is don't just look at 1 or the other, consider all information.

In order for the pts % to be accurate for "Future standing" everyone has to stay on the same pace.

I prefer to look at actual points and games in hand (then can make some assumptions based on how those games in hand go).

Mostly just a preference tho I guess.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
ESP if there are still 50 games to go.
Just too easy to put games in hand into the equation, if there are like 10games left, that’s a diff story

Reactions: 666
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad