News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It's the other way around.

The league has a maximum number of vets that can dress up for a game.

From ahl.com

"Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season."

From Gurry: "Yeah but would you expect anyone you argue with here to actually know the rules?"

Sorry to mess with your party line...

Thank you for the clarification. 13/18 skaters being development players is even more than I would have assumed. I can now see why teams rotate their AHL players in and out of the lineup as much as they do.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Calvin De Hann now sucks :laugh:

First example of Leafs cap crunch

They could only go 1 year

He’d immediately be there best defender

Lightning & Bruins will load up Stamkos & Bergeron lines on Reilly and nullify his stength and keep him in the defensive zone for entire shifts

A puck possession line like Bergeron’s will have those inexperienced and defensively challenged Leafs defenseman in a puddle
Yikes!

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Before anyone says it's too early to make any judgements on the leafs play this year, they're only one game away from having played a full playoff run this season, so it's pretty substantial.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I have no doubt the Leafs can keep all 4 of their top forwards. The question is how badly will they need to sacrifice elsewhere to do it. How badly does the defense get gutted? Does Andersen become trade bait to open cap for defense? It’s not like teams haven’t proven over and over that you can win Cups and make deep playoff runs with budget goalies.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I'd sign Pettersson 70m x 8 years 560m contract and fill the rest of the roster with league minimum contracts. A guy like Stone would take 950k a year just to be on the same roster call sheet as Elias

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The ink on the Nylander bonus check won't even be dry on July 1st when he is traded.

I just wonder now who will take him on.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Dubas promised to Nylander he wouldn't trade him though

0*48AqKbotPYhNSWtj.jpg

Jetcetera

Jan 19, 2015
Manitoba
I have no idea why people are acting like we can't fit this roster under the cap next season. We'll likely be unable to add any significant assets, that's true, but we can easily run our current roster for the next two seasons under the cap. We just have to apply all the bonuses to the cap this year. And we'll have to run a young dcore season after this one and hope for the best, but once Marleau and Horton's contracts are over, we're free from worries over the cap. Likely works out to something like this:

16.2 M cap space
-7M Nylander's new contract
+2M Matthews/Marner ELCs coming off the books
-11M Matthews' new contract
-8M Marner's new contract
-Leivo/Carrick/McBackup replaced by equal cost players
+7M letting Hainsey & Gardiner go to UFA
-2M Liljegren and Rosen/UFA replacing Hainsey/Gardiner
+1M Kapanen's ELC gone
-2-2.5M Kapanen's new contract
+2M cap raise
--------
Comes to 2M over the cap, but with Horton's 5.3M LTIR contract, we're still left with 3.3M in wiggle room.

So there's the math, add 1M each to our 3 young forwards if you're hoping they sign for more, but we're still good cap wise. This would likely be our 2019-2020 roster

[SPOIL]Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren
A mix of Rosen/Marincin/Holl/Borgman/UFA

So obviously in 2019-2020 our D is going to be weak but we'll be betting on it just needing to get the puck out of the zone to let the forwards do their work, so considering it's filled with PMDs it shouldn't be too harmful.
[/SPOIL]
So, tell me why I'm wrong and why we're destined for cap hell unless we trade Nylander/Marner to your team for peanuts :D
Doesn't look like a Stanley cup winning roster to me

Reactions: Snowman

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Marners camp doesn't look like it is going to budge. Dubas is going to have to make some cap magic happen this summer. "We can, we will" was never in question. It's a matter of it taking about $41 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad