Toronto
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Johnsson - - - Kadri - - - Brown
Marleau - Gauthier - Lindholm

Rielly - - Gardiner
Muzzin - Dermott
Hainsey - Zaitsev​

Slight change: swap Hyman and Johnsson. His point totals are embarrassing for someone playing with two players on pace for 90+ points.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Then you obviously haven't seen nylander play or have been paying attention lol
I've been seeing for a few games already. He gets the zone but forgets he has team mates. Holds the puck until he loses it.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I just don’t get why they don’t show up for most of their games. Something is really wrong here. Considering their paychecks thwy need to be way better
I've been hypothesizing that these overpayments have created problems in the locker room. Remember, in the cap world, Nylander and Matthews being overpaid comes out of their TEAMMATES pockets, not mlse (being that we'd spend to the cap ceiling regardless.)

Reactions: Confucius and dsred

member 147413

Hainsey's zone entry defense is awful. He starts backing up way before the even get close.
He’s too slow and has to compensate , otherwise he’d be giving up multiple breakaways a night.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Johnsson - - - Kadri - - - Brown
Marleau - Gauthier - Lindholm

Rielly - - Gardiner
Muzzin - Dermott
Hainsey - Zaitsev​

Johnsson - - - Kadri - - - Moore
Marleau - Gauthier - Ennis

Rielly - - Hainsey
Muzzin - Ozhiganov
Dermott - Zaitsev​

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Montreal’s system has impressed me. Good forechecking and a heavy game. Not the most skilled team. Reminds me in some ways of the Golden Knights of last year.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Slight change: swap Hyman and Johnsson. His point totals are embarrassing for someone playing with two players on pace for 90+ points.
You gotta give Kadri someone to play with though

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Montreal’s system has impressed me. Good forechecking and a heavy game. Not the most skilled team. Reminds me in some ways of the Golden Knights of last year.

Reactions: dsred and ToneDog

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
They have enough top talent to stock 2 outstanding lines and a decent third checking line.
But babcock will not do that.
So you end up with 3 lines that are "balanced' but just putter along..

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He has 3 goals and 3 assist. If that's "being wasted", I'd like to know what numbers you think he'd be putting up on another line...
maybe the same numbers, and it would help get Matthews going. it's better to win the 18 minutes when Matthews is on the ice than the 5 minutes that the 4th line is on the ice

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Or you can spin it...

we have to face the inferior Blues & Golden Knights, while we are 1 point out of second place in the division. (with a game in hand)

They will have to win this game first before you talk about "oh they are 2nd in the division".

The strong Atlantic division is the reason why this team has to play harder every game instead of the passive showing that we are witnessing right now.

Reactions: dsred

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I've been seeing for a few games already. He gets the zone but forgets he has team mates. Holds the puck until he loses it.

The one thing i hate the most is when people make shit up to try to make a falsity into fact

Your posts are one great example

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Claude Julien really is a mastermind coach.

I know he overstayed his welcome in Boston (and I mean they are better off with Cassidy) but holy f*** does he have this Habs team playing way over their ability.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Johnsson - - - Kadri - - - Moore
Marleau - Gauthier - Ennis

Rielly - - Hainsey
Muzzin - Ozhiganov
Dermott - Zaitsev​
Offence looks good, not a fan of the defence, despite his flaws Gardiner is miles ahead of Oz

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
When you have plugs like Marleau, Brown, Hyman bringing down those lines, ya it does matter that Johnson is on the 4th line.

Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc have all produced playing with Marleau, Brown and Hyman. If anyone's bringing those lines down, its those guys and their lack of effort since December, not the heart and soul players that are still giving 110% every shift even while the skilled guys are running on 0% effort.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Montreal is getting a lot out of their roster, they forecheck fast and move the puck quickly once they turn it around. The Leafs are getting by on raw talent alone, they're not as structured and it shows. Toronto's coaching staff needs to do a better job if were ever going to get over the hump.

Biggest problem with the Leafs is that they look nonchalant at times and definitely do not yet have a consistent game.

I don't see that as a long term issue as it's a very young team. As they get older, we'll be a much better team. You have to remember, we still have not seen the best of Marner, Matthews, Kapanen, Johnsson, Nylander, Rielly, Dermott etc.

What I do not like is the guy behind the bench refusing to change any of his ineffective lineups and when he does change them, it doesn't last long before he goes right back to his old lineups.

If a guy like Julien who can coach a team devoid of high end talent (compared to the Leafs) to do this with that roster...why can't Babcock just put the pieces he has in the right place?

It's not that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad