Friedman: Leafs calling on G Linus Ullmark

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
So do nothing and risk losing him for nothing? His recent success may increase his price to a point where he has to be moved.

Yup. I'd rather the Sabres continue playing the fun, competitive hockey they've been playing the last several games. If Ullmark walks at the end, so be it.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Of the three Ullmark's recent success would make him more valuable than either Hall and Montour so don't get too comfy. The Sabres could trade all three and then prepare for a really wild offseason.
Ya, more valuable to the Sabres. If they get a offer that they can't refuse like Robertson then you listen but what are they going to do with a 2nd round pick??? Especially in this draft when we haven't scouted anyone. Maybe a 2022 - 1st. They rarely turn into NHL players and I couldn't tell you the last Sabres pick to actually make it.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Ya, more valuable to the Sabres. If they get a offer that they can't refuse like Robertson then you listen but what are they going to do with a 2nd round pick??? Especially in this draft when we haven't scouted anyone. Maybe a 2022 - 1st. They rarely turn into NHL players and I couldn't tell you the last Sabres pick to actually make it.
Scout (Which also means hiring more scouts). Make the choice. Develop the player. You know - invest in a long term, sustainable future for the franchise.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014

yes they might me calling but just for emergency purposes just in case andersen can't get healthy and jack falters that is it, but if i am dubass i wouldn't bother this player sucks, look no further at his stats in buffalo he hasn't done jack squat................

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
yes they might me calling but just for emergency purposes just in case andersen can't get healthy and jack falters that is it, but if i am dubass i wouldn't bother this player sucks, look no further at his stats in buffalo he hasn't done jack squat................
TIL a .921 sv% and 2.44 GAA is worse then a .897 sv% and 2.91 GAA

Stubaru

Jul 12, 2017

Haha...someone didn't do their homework

Reactions: Team Cozens

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think he has been very good in Buffalo, but sure the Leafs may have asked, and we would want his as insurance if Andersen can't play.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Well, it is one approach to asset management.
I get what you're saying and there's a part of me that agrees with you. This team isn't going anywhere this year and Ullmark could walk for nothing in the offseason. With that said this team needs to start getting a foundation to build off of moving forward. Trotting out garbage goaltenders the rest of the way that give your team next to no chance of winning is a real good way to prevent some of these young guys we're trying to develop from taking steps forward. So if Ullmark is moved you'd better be getting a piece that has a relatively high likelihood of being a contributor moving forward. A late 2nd in a poor draft is very unlikely to become that.

Reactions: Team Cozens

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Lol, if he was on any other team than Buffalo he would be considered one of the better goalies in the league.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
There's a lot goalies who have gone for 1sts, including Leafs own Andersen and Martin Jones. Ullmark is in that class of goalie.

This is not a great draft & Leafs will have a late pick, so a 1st & prospect is a reasonable ask. Or, at minimum, a conditional 1st based off Leafs signing him and/or getting to Final Four. If they do neither, then it's a 2nd & a prospect.

Depends on the prospect, if it’s any of Sandin, Robertson, Amirov or Liljegren; no chance. One of our lesser B prospects sure. I think a fair deal would be something like a 2nd and a decent prospect at most.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I get what you're saying and there's a part of me that agrees with you. This team isn't going anywhere this year and Ullmark could walk for nothing in the offseason. With that said this team needs to start getting a foundation to build off of moving forward. Trotting out garbage goaltenders the rest of the way that give your team next to no chance of winning is a real good way to prevent some of these young guys we're trying to develop from taking steps forward. So if Ullmark is moved you'd better be getting a piece that has a relatively high likelihood of being a contributor moving forward. A late 2nd in a poor draft is very unlikely to become that.
Well, talking about 2nds and 3rds was an early part of the conversation but Ullmark's recent success and the team's recent success on his return should be changing the picture somewhat. If I'm the Sabres I'm saying to league GMs "You know - this recent success tells us that he's really important and could be really important to your cup chances. We're going to start looking for a first and a goalie to help us out the rest of the way. Thoughts?" So keeping with the Leafs example that could mean a first and someone like Hutchinson (Who would help with the expansion draft situation) going the Sabres' way. That would really be a good thing for the team going forward.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Ullmark is not getting more than a 2nd. He’s a UFA and complicated with the XDraft, teams are unwilling to sacrifice a large package to have him selected. BUF needs to extend him or move him before the TDL.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Lol, if he was on any other team than Buffalo he would be considered one of the better goalies in the league.
That’s why the Sabres should sign him. Goalies take a long time to develop, he’s definitely arrived, Sabres can’t afford to just let him walk or get picks. Offer the money and be set in goal.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Depends on the prospect, if it’s any of Sandin, Robertson, Amirov or Liljegren; no chance. One of our lesser B prospects sure. I think a fair deal would be something like a 2nd and a decent prospect at most.

It wouldn't be an A type prospect.

But, a B prospect and a conditional 1st is a likely trade, if Sabres agree to trade him.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Well, talking about 2nds and 3rds was an early part of the conversation but Ullmark's recent success and the team's recent success on his return should be changing the picture somewhat. If I'm the Sabres I'm saying to league GMs "You know - this recent success tells us that he's really important and could be really important to your cup chances. We're going to start looking for a first and a goalie to help us out the rest of the way. Thoughts?" So keeping with the Leafs example that could mean a first and someone like Hutchinson (Who would help with the expansion draft situation) going the Sabres' way. That would really be a good thing for the team going forward.
I think it could be and maybe they have more of an appetite for something like that if Hall doesn't return a 1st and Ullmark makes it clear he wants to hit the market. At least you get an asset in a late 1st you could flip for a useful roster player unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in them using that pick and getting a quality prospect at this point particularly in this draft. It still makes me very queasy going forward without Ullmark and hoping to land a guy this offseason. I don't have a whole lot of faith in this organization to identify another quality player to fill Ullmark's spot. We saw this last offseason with Johan Larsson. They spent more money on an inferior player in Eakin and thought they "improved".

Ullmark is not getting more than a 2nd. He’s a UFA and complicated with the XDraft, teams are unwilling to sacrifice a large package to have him selected. BUF needs to extend him or move him before the TDL.
They 100% have to be working on re-signing him at this point. If his camp doesn't seem amenable to that then you field offers. If all that is offered is a 2nd from a playoff team I'd probably just keep him. That's a complete nothing burger for a good goaltender.

Reactions: Mike Jones

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
TIL a .921 sv% and 2.44 GAA is worse then a .897 sv% and 2.91 GAA

Well he hasn’t competed for the Vezina yet, so obviously he sucks! Swap Ullmark out for one of Hellebuyck or Vasi or the good Bobrovsky and the Sabres would have finished where their teams did (while that team would be fighting for last place, because Ullmark sucks).

Reactions: CanadianCoyote

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
mark my words if dubass ever traded any of the mentioned prospects for ullmark i will drive down to scotia bank centre and shoot him myself...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad