TSN: Leafs' Bozak talks new additions, contract, criticism

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
The hate is on the fact that 4 mil were committed to "just a guy" because someone has a ridiculous notion that Kessel won't sign here otherwise. We still don't have a legit #1 center and we are stuck with Bozo for 5 years.

You think that is the reason that Bozak supporters like him?

Far from. we see what he does on the ice and how important his role is on the team.

Which is also why Grabo is searching for a job right now.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
We don't need a #1C. Kessel can produce without a #1C and if we get one, I want him on a separate line. He actually needs a PWF, but Andy McDonald-type wouldn't be that bad either.

Bozak just needs to be a bit more assertive. Start making some good percentage shots off the slot as well. I think we'll start seeing that as his wingers improve defensively.

True Maple Leaf fan logic . Acquire the highly sought after 1C...and put him on a line that is not the first :help:. Kessel @90-100 points vs Kessel @80 can be anything from an extra 1-5 wins. We are deep enough ( for once) to not have to worry about splitting up our top two players ( in the event we had a 1C that is)

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Bozak is nothing more than the product of the HFboards hate cycle.

Poster 1: Bozak could have been better tonight
Poster 2: Yeah he was bad
Poster 3: He was the worst player on the ice
Poster 4: He's the worst hockey player to ever play the game

In reality, he's a mediocre #2 who happens to be the best faceoff man on the team. When Kadri is ready they will reverse roles, but its not like he's stopping Kessel from putting up 80+ a year in the meantime.

Last edited:

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario

In reality, he's a mediocre #2 who happens to be the best faceoff man on the team. When Kadri is ready they will reverse rolls, but its not like he's stopping Kessel from putting up 80+ a year in the meantime.

Agreed. We're only playing him as the #1 because there's really no other alternative. He's a serviceable #2 but his skill in the faceoff circle is a real asset to a team that generally has some trouble playing the puck possession game.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
True Maple Leaf fan logic . Acquire the highly sought after 1C...and put him on a line that is not the first :help:. Kessel @90-100 points vs Kessel @80 can be anything from an extra 1-5 wins. We are deep enough ( for once) to not have to worry about splitting up our top two players ( in the event we had a 1C that is)
Are you watching basketball or something? The strongest teams in NHL history usually had distributed offence. We could create the equivalent of the Legion of Doom ( Brind'amour - Lindros - LeClair), but it'll likely get shut down. There is cap world and we'll have Kessel signed for $7.7-8.5 million. More over, I don't think throwing a similar cap guy on the same line is a smart idea at all.

Bear in mind that Kessel produced well over a PPG game ( nearly 90 points pace) last season. That's pretty legitimate production. If you actually watched him, he stops producing when physical defenders on him. I don't think that overrated Stastny is required, but rather a mean top six power forward. Bozak isn't that, but he's not a high skill guy that we are better off insulating. The other ingredient is going to be a consistent secondary scoring/shut down line that can produce at a 1B level (i.e. Zetterberg, Malkin, etc) to tie up shut down lines.

Disgruntled Observer*

If Bozak was good at playing ice hockey, leaf fans would be a lot less critical of his play.
But alas, Bozak is bad at playing ice hockey, so many fan are critical of his play.
That's my two cents.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Lets just hope that Kadri steals the #1C spot away from Bozak next season, going to be hard though because Bozak is glued to Kessel. Kadri may need to get like 10 unassisted Hat-Tricks to even get consideration :sarcasm:.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

In reality, he's a mediocre #2 who happens to be the best faceoff man on the team. When Kadri is ready they will reverse rolls, but its not like he's stopping Kessel from putting up 80+ a year in the meantime.
We're going to be seeing a lot of teams with top guys who are retiring early. It's always a good idea to be insulating hard-to-replace skilled guys with two-way bruisers. I must commend Burke for drafting tough "glue" guys.

The Kessel-Kadri tandem may become of the most effective ones in the NHL. We never had such a tandem before. Gilmour-Sundin was short-lived due to bureaucratic nonsense. I think if we could develop a strong tandem, we're going to be able to contend as regularly as Detroit with the Federov/ Yzerman tandem.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Actually, the above is closer to 'true Leaf fan' logic. This isn't the 90s anymore. If we sign a better Center, we need to let one of our wingers go. With a hard cap you need to spread out your offence. This is why you don't see very many NHL lines with three top 90 scorers.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Lets just hope that Kadri steals the #1C spot away from Bozak next season, going to be hard though because Bozak is glued to Kessel. Kadri may need to get like 10 unassisted Hat-Tricks to even get consideration :sarcasm:.

So then when teams shut down the Kessel Kadri with their defenseman, where do we turn for offence?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think its an amazing deal. At $4.5m/yr he isn't making 1C $$, but when he gets bumped to 2nd or 3rd line he will be making a little more then the average so in the end it will average out.

I really don't see Bolland staying a Leaf for more then a year so bumping Bozak down won't be an issue, we just need a reason to bump Bozak (ie we need a #1C). A great signing at a good price for a decent length (maybe a little too long but he has earned it putting up with all of us fans ********).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think its an amazing deal. At $4.5m/yr he isn't making 1C $$, but when he gets bumped to 2nd or 3rd line he will be making a little more then the average so in the end it will average out.

I really don't see Bolland staying a Leaf for more then a year so bumping Bozak down won't be an issue, we just need a reason to bump Bozak (ie we need a #1C). A great signing at a good price for a decent length (maybe a little too long but he has earned it putting up with all of us fans ********).

how come? Bolland could like it and want to stay.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Spread out the scoring when a team is able to shut them down. Not in fear that it might happen.
It's also called war and tear. Throw that many eggs in one basket and see someone go down. You really need tough, easy-to-place, guys to surround these guys. Besides Kessel is a superior playmaker than Kadri, why not place them on separate lines where they can elevate others?

Long-term solution:

JVR - Gauthier - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

If Biggs can make a transition as a top six power forward, we can be slotting him on Kessel's line and JVR drops down with Kadri.

Biggs - Gauthier - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Clarkson

That is what you call a championship line especially if Kadri becomes a #1C.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
So then you agree that Bozak isn't a very good center!?
How can one line even afford to have three top liners? The centre isn't the most important position unless you're Steve Yzerman. Yes, you can see more ice in that position, but the fact is St Louis is probably one of the best playmaking forwards in the NHL today. Likewise Kessel is an elite playmaker and I don't see Kadri matching him there.

Top line LW - Glue guy - Elite RW Playmaker /w fast release

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You think that is the reason that Bozak supporters like him?

Far from. we see what he does on the ice and how important his role is on the team.

Which is also why Grabo is searching for a job right now.

On Grabo, I am sure he could have signed somewhere by now. Chances are he is just playing the field and enjoying his wife/training and kids until they figure out where they wan to move.

He has way to much raw talent to not be picked up for at least 3.5m x 2 which would square up what he signed for plus 2 years bonus where he could stand to make additional money.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
On Grabo, I am sure he could have signed somewhere by now. Chances are he is just playing the field and enjoying his wife/training and kids until they figure out where they wan to move.

He has way to much raw talent to not be picked up for at least 3.5m x 2 which would square up what he signed for plus 2 years bonus where he could stand to make additional money.

If he could have signed somewhere, I'm sure he would have.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
It's also called war and tear. Throw that many eggs in one basket and see someone go down. You really need tough, easy-to-place, guys to surround these guys. Besides Kessel is a superior playmaker than Kadri, why not place them on separate lines where they can elevate others?

Long-term solution:

JVR - Gauthier - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

If Biggs can make a transition as a top six power forward, we can be slotting him on Kessel's line and JVR drops down with Kadri.

Biggs - Gauthier - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Clarkson

That is what you call a championship line especially if Kadri becomes a #1C.
Unrealistic wishful thinking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad