TSN: Leafs' Bozak talks new additions, contract, criticism

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427581

Despite speculation that Tyler Bozak would follow fellow Leaf Mikhail Grabovski out the door and sign elsewhere as an unrestricted free agent, the centre said he was never as close to leaving as was being rumoured and in fact, did not field any official offers from other NHL teams.

Speaking with Mike Hogan and Jeff O'Neill on Leafs Lunch Friday afternoon on TSN 1050, the 27-year-old also weighed in on the Leafs off-season additions and the critics who question whether he is a number one centre.

"We weren't talking to many other teams," Bozak said. "We actually agreed with the Leafs before the Noon (eastern free agency deadline) time even started, so I wasn't able to field any offers. My agent had talked to some teams in that period where you are able to but my number one choice was to stay, so that was our main focus."

He said both the Leafs and his representatives were on the same page, making the negotiations relatively pain free.

"I wanted to stay and they wanted to keep me so we were able to get to a number that we both agreed on pretty easily."

https://twitter.com/TSN1050Radio/status/355746032484757505

TSN Radio‏

@TSN1050Radio

Podcast: @Bozie42 joined #BlueLunch. http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/BL_TylerBozak_July12.mp3

10:50 AM - 12 Jul 13

Alazais

Jun 19, 2010
Bozak has been coached rather well. Those are all some pretty PC answers. I like the additions. I don't like the cap hits. I think for the next season or two it'll be a positive, after that it may be an issue.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Theres literally no statistics that can assure that Bozak is a #1C, and if miraculously he is, he's the worst #1C in the NHL.

Demote him to the #2C, 4 years of torment with him as our #1C is enough already.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I'm pretty sure Nonis, intended to sign Bozak, everyone was wondering why Weiss wasn't contacted and it appears Bozak was the player he wanted from the start.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Theres literally no statistics that can assure that Bozak is a #1C, and if miraculously he is, he's the worst #1C in the NHL.

Demote him to the #2C, 4 years of torment with him as our #1C is enough already.
We all know this. Its nothing new.

inb4makekadrithenumberonecenter

Its too early to tell if he can handle that kind of job, he hasnt even played a full season yet.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Bozak is signed at a good cap hit that he can be shifted down to 2C and not be overpaid so it's not a big deal.

My hopes are he plays first line this season, puts up his usual points hopefully a bit more but by next season Kadri can take over and bump Bozak down.

mr grieves

May 21, 2011
I'm pretty sure Nonis, intended to sign Bozak, everyone was wondering why Weiss wasn't contacted and it appears Bozak was the player he wanted from the start.

That seems to be the case. So, he's all for competition in the crease, but not at center... ok.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, I think it's fine. Not like at 4.2 he's paid like a first line center anyways. He remains what he's always been, a stop-gap. Unfortunately he's had to be that for a ridiculously long time.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
His linemates have done perfectly fine with him picking up the defensive slack. Seriously, why do you think Phil likes playing with him so much? Bozak keeps the coach off Phil's ass for his sometimes tired defensive play. Bozak also is pretty clutch for scoring sometimes. He has to get off the first pp though, that really is a place where he isn't working as a 1C. He's paid half as much as a 1C anyways so there isn't much use complaining about his salary.

leafstilldeath*

Fellow citizens of Leafs Nation going on and on about how Bozak is good make me feel something like...

jYcBIhx.gif

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The only thing wrong with Bozak is he isn't a big enough name for NHL13 type fans.

Besides the fact he's never hit the 50 point or 20 goal plateau, all while playing with one of the best wingers in the league.

Yeah, a true number 1 centre all right.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
The only thing wrong with Bozak is he isn't a big enough name for NHL13 type fans.

...if you like mediocre tweeners riding your best player's coat tails.

1c was 'supposed' to be something we were looking to upgrade on. We didn't, were just paying the same guy more. It's a disappointing non-improvement.

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
Besides the fact he's never hit the 50 point or 20 goal plateau, all while playing with one of the best wingers in the league.

Yeah, a true number 1 centre all right.
Again, the issue of looking at Bozak for what he isn't instead of what he is. Hint: if he was a true number 1 centre he'd be getting more than 4.2/year

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
His linemates have done perfectly fine with him picking up the defensive slack. Seriously, why do you think Phil likes playing with him so much? Bozak keeps the coach off Phil's ass for his sometimes tired defensive play. Bozak also is pretty clutch for scoring sometimes. He has to get off the first pp though, that really is a place where he isn't working as a 1C. He's paid half as much as a 1C anyways so there isn't much use complaining about his salary.

They have to keep him on the 1st PP unit because no one else can consistently win faceoffs. If he's not on the first PP unit then 7 out of 10 times the puck is out and down the ice right off the bat killing the first 25 - 30 seconds at least of the PP.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
They have to keep him on the 1st PP unit because no one else can consistently win faceoffs. If he's not on the first PP unit then 7 out of 10 times the puck is out and down the ice right off the bat killing the first 25 - 30 seconds at least of the PP.
That's a god damn good point and I knew it too but forgot. Good thing this isn't an exam, i hate it when i do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad