TSN: Leafs' Bozak talks new additions, contract, criticism

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Not really true.

Bolland was #2 all year, suffered a hammy injury at the end of the season, missed round one, and was gradually eased back into the lineup over the rest of the playoffs, culminating with him getting back to his usual 16+ minutes in the finals, and back to his productive ways with 3gls/5pts in the 6gm final, including the cup winning goal.
During the regularly season, he was largely playing with Patrick Kane as well. He his 92% of the time. He spent a large amount of time with Patrick Sharp as well. For that reason, I can see him playing with skilled guys like JVR and even Kessel. Nonis noticed that Chicago saw a lot of potential in Bolland and thus he has been given offensive linemates.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks Bozak has improved every single year, and see no reason why this won't continue?

I feel lonely...

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
1/100.

For what it's worth, I like Bozak but don't think he's a #1 C (who does?), but I have no clue why you hate the guy so much.

The hate is on the fact that 4 mil were committed to "just a guy" because someone has a ridiculous notion that Kessel won't sign here otherwise. We still don't have a legit #1 center and we are stuck with Bozo for 5 years.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The hate is on the fact that 4 mil were committed to "just a guy" because someone has a ridiculous notion that Kessel won't sign here otherwise. We still don't have a legit #1 center and we are stuck with Bozo for 5 years.
We don't need a #1C. Kessel can produce without a #1C and if we get one, I want him on a separate line. He actually needs a PWF, but Andy McDonald-type wouldn't be that bad either.

Bozak just needs to be a bit more assertive. Start making some good percentage shots off the slot as well. I think we'll start seeing that as his wingers improve defensively.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
If you think that's the only reason we signed him, then there's not much to be said.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Biggest question in my mind is, "Does Kadri take a step forward by maintaining or improving his numbers?" Does he see sheltered minutes or play on the top 2 lines consistently? His progress out of the gate will determine where Bolland and perhaps Bozak sit in terms of linemates.

Code:
Kadri progressing lineup...

Lupul.             Kadri.       Kessel
JVR.               Bozak.      Clarkson
McCLement.    Bolland.    Kulemin 
McLarry.         Colborne.  Orr

Kadri regressing lineup

Lupul.          Bozak.           Kessel
JVR.             Bolland          Clarkson
McCLement   Kadri             Kulemin 
McLarry        Colborne.       Orr

Kadri maintaining lineup

Lupul.          Bozak.       Kessel
JVR.            Kadri .       Clarkson
McClement.   Bolland.    Kulemin 
McLarry.       Colborne.  Orr

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Who is this someone? Do you really think Nonis sign Bozak because of Kessel? What people say on HF, and what is reality are very different things. (See: Anthrax442)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks Bozak has improved every single year, and see no reason why this won't continue?

I feel lonely...

Nope - I think he's okay. I was fine with signing him. and actually, he took less than what I thought he would (I thought it would be upper 4.75 etc).

I think sometimes we get so focused on "ELITE!" we forget that if you've got a team of serviceable players that do all the little things the coach says to do that that's a darn good team too.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Who is this someone? Do you really think Nonis sign Bozak because of Kessel? What people say on HF, and what is reality are very different things. (See: Anthrax442)

"Oh jeez Claude, it says here Phil won't want to be here unless we sign Tyler. Golly we gotta do that!"

"I'll jump right in it Dave!"

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

I feel lonely...
He regressed in his 2nd season. He's had a steady incline but he still isn't that good. Not the production you need for someone who consistently plays on the 1st line. I hope he can up his production , afterall he is playing with Kessel and JVR(for a good chunk he was)

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
He regressed in his 2nd season. He's had a steady incline but he still isn't that good. Not the production you need for someone who consistently plays on the 1st line. I hope he can up his production , afterall he is playing with Kessel and JVR(for a good chunk he was)

I'm more concerned about what his line does as a whole, and other contributions on the PK and whatnot than how high a guy's name appears on NHL.com. I really don't think having Bozak play with Kessel and [insert whoever here] has been a hindrance.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON

I'm under the impression he'd make a fine 2nd line C (better than Grabovski). So if all goes well and Kadri makes big strides, at some point(s) in the season, I'm sure we'll see Bozak with Lupul/Clarkson and his production should be good from there.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I'm under the impression he'd make a fine 2nd line C (better than Grabovski). So if all goes well and Kadri makes big strides, at some point(s) in the season, I'm sure we'll see Bozak with Lupul/Clarkson and his production should be good from there.

This is my hope

Last edited:

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I'm more concerned about what his line does as a whole, and other contributions on the PK and whatnot than how high a guy's name appears on NHL.com. I really don't think having Bozak play with Kessel and [insert whoever here] has been a hindrance.
The line would be better if there was someone who could put up more points on the board. Would be laughable to keep Bozak if you can upgrade that C position

Thats the problem I have though. Bozak more than likely will always play with Kessel because they have "chemistry". The only way Kadri plays with Kessel is on the PP or on opposite wing

I don't mind Bozak if he played a lesser role but he's shoved on that 1st line when he shouldn't be

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
People keep getting stuck on this #1 center thing. What the Leafs needed more was a defensively responsible center... You know to help stop a team from mounting a comeback in a game where the team scored more than enough goals to win. In fact the Leafs were one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL with Bozak as a number 1 center.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
People keep getting stuck on this #1 center thing. What the Leafs needed more was a defensively responsible center... You know to help stop a team from mounting a comeback in a game where the team scored more than enough goals to win. In fact the Leafs were one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL with Bozak as a number 1 center.

It's just that he doesnt have the tools to be a great #1 C or even a #1b kind of guy.

he's an offensive black hole, someone in another thread figured out he had 8, yes 8 primary assists this year, that's BRUTAL when you're playing with linemates that scored 38 goals in total(add a few in from lupul too).

EDIT: Meanwhile a guy like Kadri had 21 primary assists this year.

Bozak rides the coattails of his linemates, he's a decent player, but not someone who makes the 1st line better, he just coasts on it.

his defense is average, maybe above average.

Seriously though, I've been watching him for a while, he doesnt do anything special on that line outside of faceoffs and the odd pot in goal or decent play.

get in a guy like Stastny(who does everything you listed in a better way, or at least he used to) and you'll see a massive overall improvement to that line.

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
The line would be better if there was someone who could put up more points on the board. Would be laughable to keep Bozak if you can upgrade that C position

Thats the problem I have though. Bozak more than likely will always play with Kessel because they have "chemistry". The only way Kadri plays with Kessel is on the PP or on opposite wing

Kadri has only played with kessel on a handfull of occasions, most of which was during the playoffs when bozak got injured, and they looked dynamite together. A full season of kessel and an improving kadri would be magical.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Kadri has only played with kessel on a handfull of occasions, most of which was during the playoffs when bozak got injured, and they looked dynamite together. A full season of kessel and an improving kadri would be magical.

"Could" be.

We have two dominate 2 lines.

Having Kadri on the second line is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad