Post-Game Talk: Leafs Beat the Avalanche 5-2

RLF

May 5, 2014
Is it possible to truly enjoy Willie, acknowledge he is starting to produce and drive play, without arguing he will be a bargain one day? If he was making 6 mil, or if he was making 6.9 with the bonuses that negate cap savings, or if he gave up an extra UFA year, would it matter when we watch him play?

This debate around here has always been so polarized. If you argue Willie was worth 6 mil it's a slight, you're a hater for some bizarre reason. If you love everything Dubas does this deal will be a bargain, every drive worth every penny. Willie is going to produce, he's too GOOD, and just because he pots a goal or makes a pass doesn't suddenly make him a bargain, more like he's starting to earn his salary.

Maybe Nylander turns out to be worth 9 million in a year or two. Reilly is worth a hell of a lot more now for instance. It doesn't really matter, because when this deal was signed it wasn't a "bargain", it was the best deal any RFA agent has extracted from a GM, when you take all details into totality.

I'm glad Willie is a Leaf, I'm glad Auston is a Leaf, that has nothing to do with a belief we didn't get good deals for our team. I'll cheer every point, but I'm not going to argue he's a steal, because he should be producing big time, it doesn't merit a revision of opinion.

Loving Nylander, and I think he's actually stronger this year, but we gave up too much in that deal, no matter what happens moving forward. Anyways, I know this place, every pass will come with "what a bargain" and the haters will crap on every missed opportunity. I'll sit in the middle and enjoy his play at the moment, his contract already solidified in my mind. It is what it is now.

Very well put and reasonable.

Reactions: DarkKnight

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I’m just happy the PP broke out.

The 2nd PP goal was a great new look that I’d love to see them keep using. That should open up the seam to allow cross ice feeds to Marner

You can tell they finally got around to doing more than "Give it to Marner" which was absurd.

I hope they can get back to the semblance of a top 3 PP in the rest of the games.

Reactions: stickty111

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Matthews assist was cool and all but if Kap doesn’t have the skill to pull that off it’s a dead play. Nylander perfectly set up Naz with a quick tap. I could have scored that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You can tell they finally got around to doing more than "Give it to Marner" which was absurd.

I hope they can get back to the semblance of a top 3 PP in the rest of the games.

In fairness the “give it to Marner” strategy has worked well for the last 2.5 years or so :laugh:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Advantage to Matthews for me. Not the first time this season he and Kapanen have combined for a breakaway goal either. Either way, both have the same value on the scoresheet.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
From a fan and media standpoint he’s always been the golden boy and free of criticism. I feel like the backlash from his agents comments really shook him. Can see it in his demeanour in interviews.

His time and space are being taken away from him. It's like they were giving him the shot because he's a pass first player, but he was still getting time, now it seems they're on him right away.

He's just on a bit of a lull, but 7 points in last 10 games is still good production (57 point pace). And his season long pace is around 98 points pace.
-- Still 8 players on pace for over 100 points this year.

We just need everyone firing in the playoffs.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why is no one upset Marleau didn't also get an assist? The puck clearly hits his skate on the rebound before poked away by the Av's D-man. He created the screen for Willy. Marleau had as much to do with the goal as anyone.

Yep, it was questionable either way it gets called. You can claim it was change of possession, but then we'd expect to see a giveaway assigned to the Avs players on that play.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
From a fan and media standpoint he’s always been the golden boy and free of criticism. I feel like the backlash from his agents comments really shook him. Can see it in his demeanour in interviews.

I've been thinking the same thing, when he was approached about the comments of feeling disrespected he seemed completely rattled, since then his play has been off and he seems annoyed in interviews.

Kid needs to direct his anger at his agent.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Willy's pass to Naz was filthy too.

It reminded of a video game pass. Just a ridiculous tape to tape no look spin pass

At first I thought he just fired it across the crease and they got lucky, but on the replay you could see Nylander takes a quick peak and does see Kadri coming.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I've been thinking the same thing, when he was approached about the comments of feeling disrespected he seemed completely rattled, since then his play has been off and he seems annoyed in interviews.

Kid needs to direct his anger at his agent.

A bit of adversity can be a good thing. It’s sure as hell not going to always be rosy in Toronto. Especially when you sign that big contract.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Interesting notes about Kadri:

- his having a career year in the face off for (53.8%)
- he’s also having his best CF % for season (53.9%)
- his expected goals for/against differential is +4.3
- his PDO is on par for his career

This is all not surprising considering he’s facing easier competition.

Then consider:

- his assist totals, shot attempts, and shots on goal totals are on par with the last two seasons
- his shooting percentage is currently down roughly 4% from the last two years
- if you take his average shots per game over a the season this year, and multiply it by that 4% difference in shooting percentage, that gets you 8.5 goals

By all accounts it seems like Kadri’s struggles are overstated and production is more of a case of tough luck. He’s certainly being more dominant in his match ups defensively.

Part of this downturn is his PP goal totals ... he hasn’t been used as the high tip that he was the last two years. 12 PPG in each of the last two years, with only 4 so far this year. That’s certainly a factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad